Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 AM   #1

New Toad needed - suggestions please

We currently tow a 17' Prius. While we love the car, especially the mileage, it's a _itch getting it on the tow dolly. To enhance fuel efficiency, it sits too low and "hits" every time we load it, but not too bad when unloading. I've tried multiple boards in various arrangements and it's still a PITA and not a good way to start a trip. So, opinions on a different toad? Requirements: 4 door, reasonable height (for dog loading), not too heavy, capable of roof rack. I'm aware of the flat v. dolly debate and I'll address that at a different time - don't want to switch now unless clearly advantageous. Thanks for your ideas.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 AM   #2

If you're committed to the dolly, you should be able to tow any front-drive car. I think the Honda Fit has a shorter front overhang than the Prius, and is very fuel-efficient.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

When I used a tow dolly we had a Kia Soul. Not to heavy, perfect for the dogs, and not bad on the budget.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

New Toad needed - suggestions please

What kind of tow dolly do you have? Have you considered getting a different tow dolly, instead of a different toad? We have an eze-tow dolly and it's been great (tow a Honda Accord). I've seen others towing a Prius with them. Might be well worth it for you to take a look at a different dolly.

If you're set on getting another vehicle I'd suggest you google the Dinghy towing guide and find a vehicle you like that can be flat towed in case down the road you decide you want to eliminate the dolly altogether and tow 4 down. You'll be one step ahead then with having a vehicle that'll work for that.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. Our dolly is a Master Tow and we'll stick with that one for now, and if we decide to switch, it will be to flat tow. I'll check out the vehicles mentioned, and buying something that can be flat towed as well is a great idea. Appreciate the help.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a manual shift Kia Soul. We started out with a dolly (Acme) because it was cheap (used) and it had it's own brake system. Never a problem loading the Soul, has plenty of clearance and only weighs 2800 lbs, full of gas.
We switched to a tow bar set-up due to storage problems with the dolly. Using the NSA Ready Brute Elite system and could not be happier. The Soul is a high roof design which makes it very easy to enter and exit. Friends and family always remark on the roominess inside stop by a dealership and take a look.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
We currently tow a 17' Prius. While we love the car, especially the mileage, it's a _itch getting it on the tow dolly. To enhance fuel efficiency, it sits too low and "hits" every time we load it, but not too bad when unloading. I've tried multiple boards in various arrangements and it's still a PITA and not a good way to start a trip. So, opinions on a different toad? Requirements: 4 door, reasonable height (for dog loading), not too heavy, capable of roof rack. I'm aware of the flat v. dolly debate and I'll address that at a different time - don't want to switch now unless clearly advantageous. Thanks for your ideas.
You towed a Prius with a tow dolly?? We have a Prius too and was told by Toyota to definitely NOT tow it because it will damage the power generation produced by the wheels. It would also void the warranty. For that reason we tow a Mazda 3, manual shift. Just put it in neutral and go. So... did you suffer any problems after towing your Prius?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Toad

Try a Rava 4 for your toad or one of the new Honda.
I only use my MH 3 months out of 12 months so I want a tow car that I am happy all year and not want a car because it tows good.
With the dolly you can tow pretty much anything.
I tow aa 2012 fit flat tow it and from 2015 no more flat tow a Honda too bad and also have a Odyssey as my family car and is great but don't tow it.
CRV is a great tow car and very well liked family car.

Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Jeep wrangler and no dolly !
Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #10

We flat tow a Chevy Sonic automatic and its great. Can also be dollied.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
I flat tow a Ford C-Max hybrid. It fits all your requirements, can be towed on a tow dolly, and be flat towed. Great mileage. And they have a plug in model too
Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We flat tow a Chevy Sonic automatic and its great. Can also be dollied.
X2! Love the Sonic, auto, flat tow.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
You towed a Prius with a tow dolly?? We have a Prius too and was told by Toyota to definitely NOT tow it because it will damage the power generation produced by the wheels. It would also void the warranty. For that reason we tow a Mazda 3, manual shift. Just put it in neutral and go. So... did you suffer any problems after towing your Prius?

Won't damage it. We've towed ours many miles. Was that dealer advice?
As with OP ours does drag lower splash shield on and off but otherwise no problem.
BW in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Jeep wrangler and no dolly !
X2
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad