Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

New toad questions Cherokee Trailhawk

We have never had a toad before and are looking at a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. It already has what looks like Blue Ox base plates, a light plug and break away connection.

Where would I look to see if it has a brake system already?
How does the break away work, (where does it connect to the brakes)?
Is it easy to tell if there is a diode kit installed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailhawk(1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	314859  
lifguardct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #2

Where would I look to see if it has a brake system already?
Under the hood or up under the dash.

How does the break away work, (where does it connect to the brakes)?
I have Air Force One. The break away does not connect directly to the brakes

Is it easy to tell if there is a diode kit installed?

Diode's are used with existing bulbs. I don't use diodes, thus I have an extra bulb installed for tail lights, brakes, turn signals.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #3

If it is a permanently installed system there will be either a cable or air cylinder attached to the brake pedal. The control unit will be under the hood or drivers seat. If it was a portable system most likely it was not left with the vehicle. The breakaway switch will either connect to the permanently mounted controller or connect directly to a portable unit, in that case you will most likely find a 2 pin connector near the front of the drivers seat.

If a diode lighting kit was installed the diodes will most likely be behind the taillight assembly's.

Every installer does things differently so it’s hard to tell without out inspecting the vehicle.

Also you will most likely need or may have a brake light relay, charge line, and remote brake actuator switch.

When I setup my 19 Trailhawk I installed an Invisibrake system, Blue Ox baseplate, brake light switch, charge line, lighting diode kit, & brake applied switch with remote indicator in the coach dash.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Appears there is a lighting connector. So lighting (diode kit) is already done.

The breakaway activates the brake should the toad become disconnected.

Can't tell for sure from the picture. But appears an air connection exists. Likey AF1 system or similar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it has a U.S. Gear braking system there will be a cylinder under the drivers seat of the toad.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:13 AM   #6

I have a 2020 Cherokee towed with blue ox base plates. I did my own install and wiring.

The picture is a bit grainy but it does look like blue ox attachments.

The tail lights don’t have room to install an additional bulb, so diodes are the only option. It’s very easy to remove a taillight - open the hatch, remove two torx screws, and give it a tug.

I don’t see an attachment to an air brake system on the coach, so I think you have something else. Look under the dash at the brake pedal for an arm bolted on that can push it. If nothing, then likely it used a portable system. The breakaway cable should come through a rubber grommet in the firewall almost directly behind the brake pedal. Lift up the floor mats and have a look-see.

If they were using a portable braking system, it needs an always on 12 volt power source. The Cherokee does not have one standard, so you should find an add-on 12v lighter outlet or similar under the dash.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have a brake buddy portable system and it has a 4 prong connector in the cab for power and the breakaway. Your breakaway connection does not look like a brake buddy.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
I have a brake buddy portable system and it has a 4 prong connector in the cab for power and the breakaway. Your breakaway connection does not look like a brake buddy.

Breakaway switch is generic. Same as mine with Brake Buddy system. Is there a plug near footwell? If it’s a banana plug it was plugged into Brake Buddy Classic, if more like a plug it would have been a newer Brake Buddy.

Tags
cherokee, toad