Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #1

New toy for us on our trips, yahoooooo!

Gang,
We've been motorcycling for decades with all kinds of bikes. I pilot, she rides on back. We very recently, as in two weeks ago today, procured a 2018 Honda GL 1800 Tour DCT Air bag model. This is our 6th Goldwing. Without a doubt, this is one SERIOUSLY REFINED motorcycle. One has to know large motorcycles and have experience with many touring and full dress machines in order to really comprehend just how well this new Goldwing is presented.

Yes, this is an RV forum but, many of us tote along motorcycles in various ways and do love riding around our destinations. This DCT or, Dual Clutch Transmission is PURE PLEASURE. Fully automatic!!!!!! Yep, to those of you that are unaware, this is a fully automatic, full sized, 1800 cc motorcycle. Put it in DRIVE and simply enjoy the ride. For the dinosaurs out there that absolutely HAVE TO HAVE A CLUTCH, there's an answer for that.

This transmission has a manual mode too. Put it in "M" and YOU control all the shifting via paddle shifters. Anyway, if any of you RVers have this new model Goldwing, you already know how pleasurable it is to ride without worrying about shifting. I don't think it can get any better than this!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	365489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	365490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5522.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	365491  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
We've been motorcycling for decades with all kinds of bikes. I pilot, she rides on back. We very recently, as in two weeks ago today, procured a 2018 Honda GL 1800 Tour DCT Air bag model. This is our 6th Goldwing. Without a doubt, this is one SERIOUSLY REFINED motorcycle. One has to know large motorcycles and have experience with many touring and full dress machines in order to really comprehend just how well this new Goldwing is presented.

Yes, this is an RV forum but, many of us tote along motorcycles in various ways and do love riding around our destinations. This DCT or, Dual Clutch Transmission is PURE PLEASURE. Fully automatic!!!!!! Yep, to those of you that are unaware, this is a fully automatic, full sized, 1800 cc motorcycle. Put it in DRIVE and simply enjoy the ride. For the dinosaurs out there that absolutely HAVE TO HAVE A CLUTCH, there's an answer for that.

This transmission has a manual mode too. Put it in "M" and YOU control all the shifting via paddle shifters. Anyway, if any of you RVers have this new model Goldwing, you already know how pleasurable it is to ride without worrying about shifting. I don't think it can get any better than this!
Scott
Very nice. Iím sure it will be enjoyed.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #3

We also enjoyed our Harley Ultra's and later Goldwing's. I triked our last Goldwing and we pulled an Escapade trailer when on a trip. If we were ever to go back to motorcycling, the ultimate ride, stability and comfort would be the 1800 DCT Trike. It would be like cruising in a Caddy with the top down. Congrats on your new Toy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #4

Wow. What a beautiful bike Scott. I can only imagine how smooth and perfect it drives and rides. So cool. Props to you guys.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks for all the nice comments boys. When it comes to riding, we all have our preferences. I've been a Goldwing pilot since I was 22. Odd huh? Most Wing are kind-a along in the years but, I started early. I've had a whole bunch of other bikes but, the Wing's always been my distance runners. Anyway, we bought this bike almost a bit late in the season for around here in Havasu. It's starting to WARM UP A BIT.

Scott
Old 05-14-2022, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Anyway, we bought this bike almost a bit late in the season for around here in Havasu. It's starting to WARM UP A BIT.

Scott
Yep, we left Havasu for WI by way of ID on the 5th. Three days later we were on icy snow packed roads through West Yellowstone wishing we had some of that heat to melt the ice. Enjoy the 100+ temps for a few months. We'll come back in Oct when it cools off a bit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #7

Beautiful bike!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Beautiful bike. We purchased a Can AM Spyder on Valentine's weekend. It is so a beautiful ride. We could not get a 2-wheel bike, wife does not like them, plus with 2 total knees replacement, 3 surgeries on my left ankle, it was hard to hold up a bike sometimes. So, we went with a Spyder.
Our is a 2013 and had 11,262 miles when we bought it, 3 months later, we are over 13,300 miles on it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Scott,

That's a beast! Doe's it weigh more than your old one?
The sleek style front end is cool!

May the wind be at your back.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #10

What a beautiful ride!

My family is still harassing for suggesting a trike back when we had a smaller RV and needed a lighter vehicle to tow. I thought it was a great idea.
Charming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
Scott,

That's a beast! Doe's it weigh more than your old one?
The sleek style front end is cool!

May the wind be at your back.
Hey IMDiesel,
"Beast", naw, not at all. Honda shrunk the heck out of their infamous flagship Goldwing with the 2018 and up models. Our '08 GL1800 tipped the scales at or around 900 lbs. This newly redesigned model has lost quite a bit of weight. It's listed at close to 840 lbs. They redesigned every inch of it. It handles like a go kart compared to the earlier versions.
Scott
Old 05-21-2022, 01:25 AM   #12

Makes my '82 GW look like a Model T!

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Makes my '82 GW look like a Model T!
Ya know,
My first Goldwing was an '84 Interstate I bought brand new in '85. I thought it was a SPACE SHIP the first time I rode it. I'd never, ever experienced anything in my life as nice as that Wing.

Well, skip forward a few decades and the experience happened all over again! The '84 Wing was phenomenally better than anything out there at that time. This '18 Tour DCT Air bag model is LIGHT YEARS above that '84!
Scott
Old 05-27-2022, 05:33 AM   #14

At the tender age of 25, Honda announced the all new Gold Wing Interstate. I promptly went down and put a deposit on one and waited patiently for several months for delivery. Rode it all over the USA.

After a small break in riding, I borrowed my BIL's Harley Road King. Really enjoyed being back on a bike again. In 2003 we bought a new Harley Electra Glide and started traveling again. In 2006 we upgraded to a CVO Electra Glide, but, in the back of my mind, I always missed the smooth power of a Gold Wing.
So in 2008, I bought a new GW, but kept the Harley. Wife preferred the Harley, but I took my early teen Son on several long touring trips.

Felt good to be back on a Wing, but, I just wasn't that comfortable on it with my knees bent behind the cylinders and eventually sold it and kept the Harley. I was just more comfortable on the HD.

Fast forward to today, and we have an 18 Harley Road Glide Ultra and with a Rampage lift, we tow it behind our motorhome.