Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Newbie Q - Purchase Tow equipment before buying MH?

Probably a stupid question, but I haven’t found a clear answer yet. I don’t have a RV yet, but I do have a Jeep Wrangler and am researching purchasing a Motorhome (probably class c) and can use my Wrangler as a toad.

I’ve been considering purchasing a tow bar, base, breaking system, cables, etc... to have them ready to go, but is that even wise? Should I know what motorhome I have before I buy this equipment or do most tow bars and cables hook up to most motor homes?

I assume I should look at this equipment after buying a Motorhome. Again, probably a stupid question
airick1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As far as I know all motorhomes use the standard 2" receiver for the towbars so it shouldn't make any difference either way.

Personally, I would wait. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would not put the cart before the horse. All that equipment should work across the board but whatever coach you choose needs the tow capacity to handle your Jeep. There's no reason to rush into it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

I just set me Wrangler up last month and recently towed it from NJ to VA and back again. Wow, it towed like a dream. I did not even feel any difference compared to not towing it. If you have a stock front bumper, I highly recommend the Currie baseplate. They go for about $270, but I found a used one for $180. It looks great and works great. I also wired a Hopkins wiring harness to the Jeep. It’s basically plug & play. I was able to pull the wires through the Jeep frame for a super clean install. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	294615Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8231.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	294616Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8251.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	294617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8253.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	710.3 KB
ID:	294618

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

Check out the ready brute elite tow bar before you buy.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #6

I assume you are going to make sure whatever motorhome you buy is rated to pull the weight of the Wrangler, which can exceed the towing capacity of some motorhomes depending on exact model.

Having said that the Towing side equipment is going to be mostly the same, though there are a couple of things you might need to specific to your motorhome. For example you may have a 6 pin or 7 blade trailer connector on the motorhome side of the umbilical cable, most modern motorhomes use the 7 blade style, most TOAD's use the 6 pin, though some motorhomes will also use 6 pin. So you will need to buy a umbilical cable that matches your setup 6 to 6 or 6 to 7 style. Electrically powered braking systems can be used with all types of motorhomes, though generally speaking air driven braking systems are only used with diesel pushers (though some brands offer compressor units to allow them to function with gas motorhomes).

In some rare cases you might also need a long shank tow bar, also if a drop hitch adapter is needed the offset will depend on the height of the motorhome hitch and height of the baseplate.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, newbie, purchase, tow