RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Newbie question about towing

I'm wanting to dolly tow with this set up: 2008 Winnebago View 24H gas engine w/3500 tow capacity and 350 lbs tongue weight + 2017 Prius Four (3050 lbs curb weight)

I know I need a lightweight tow dolly with brakes but not sure what else to consider when it comes to weight and towing. Does anyone have experience towing with the above or a similar set up?

Any help or tow dolly recommendations are much appreciated.
LadyLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #2

For light weight and full featured I would recomend the American Car Dolly.

https://americandolly.com/

It has more features then a Acme, another light weight model.

I own and use a Stehl Tow dolly but tow a mid size, 4 door pickup with it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The dolly plus the Prius is going to put you right at or slightly over the 3500 lb tow limit, but you are probably ok anyway. The American dolly weighs in at 455.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are thinking about buying a prius to tow but are concerned about the clearance of the rear end when it is on the dolly. They look like they are closer to the ground than average. Have measured or estimated this?
Old 12-30-2020, 02:09 AM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
We are thinking about buying a prius to tow but are concerned about the clearance of the rear end when it is on the dolly. They look like they are closer to the ground than average. Have measured or estimated this?
I donít believe that they are that much lower to the ground than similarly sized compacts. Their ground clearance is above 5Ē with departure (and even approach) and breakover angles close to other similarly sized cars. I have seen quite a few Priuses being towed on a dolly so I donít think thereís a problem but letís see what others say.

Here are a few pics found online but not sure of the model years: HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE

The last pic came from the website of TowSmart Trailers in Santa Fe Springs, California and as you can see, the Prius is on the list of some of the cars that they suggest can be dolly towed behind a motorhome as well as the image they display:

Can Your Car Be Towed On A Tow Dolly?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for those pictures. They are encouraging.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post

I absolutely love my Prius, but haven't had a chance to tow it just yet. But, when speaking with the company I ordered my tow dolly from they told many of their customers have towed Prius' with no problems. I ordered my car dolly from cartowdolly.com. Hope this helps a little.

Btw...it's one of the lightest dollies made at only 380 lbs and that's with disc brakes.
LadyLucia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, tow, towing