Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Newbie to Towing

My wife and I just bought a 40G Discovery and will be towing either a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or a Z71 Suburban. Our salesperson suggested the Blue Ox tow system while the General Manager at our storage place strongly suggested against the Blue Ox system for the Roadmaster.

So, what do you folks say? What is the better system? or are they the same?

Thanks!

Eric
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
My wife and I just bought a 40G Discovery and will be towing either a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or a Z71 Suburban. Our salesperson suggested the Blue Ox tow system while the General Manager at our storage place strongly suggested against the Blue Ox system for the Roadmaster.

So, what do you folks say? What is the better system? or are they the same?

Thanks!

Eric
that's like asking what's better: Ford or Chevy; Protestant or Catholic; Republican or Democrat...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #3

LMAO -- now thats helpful!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
LMAO -- now thats helpful!!
Sorry - it was a sarcastic way of saying you're going to get proponents of each system telling you that theirs is the best and the other is junk...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

I figured as much!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

I actually think you'll find a lot of respect for both brands here on the forum. Not many of us have used both so it's tough to compare but maybe we haven't tried both because both brands are pretty darned good and there's been no reason to change.

I'm pretty much a Blue Ox fan and use the Aventa tow bar as well as their drop hitch and bike rack. I think the stuff is really built well and I've been happy during the 4 years I've used them.

Here's a recent thread on the topic http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...er-101219.html

Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow the Wrangler, the Suburban is just too darn large and heavy. The Wrangler is already to to tow 4 wheels down as long as it has a nuetral position on the selector.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

This link may complicate your decision at first - unless you consider that the entire package needed for safe towing include brakes. MANY new toads are being equipped with the Ready Brake systems for it's drop dead simplicity. They make a tow bar with that system built into it, making the concept even simpler. Check it out...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ready...hem-80233.html

Manf. link

RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - NSA RV Products
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've had both and there isn't much difference - just personal preference. I think the Blue Ox base plates are a bit neater package when not towing, but its not a big deal.

As far as quality, there is no difference in equivalent models, e.g. All-Terrain vs Adventa.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #10

So I decided to go with the Roadmaster Blackhawk II with the Brakemaster brake. I don't even know my Jeep Wrangler is back there! Thanks for everybody's input!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Tow the Wrangler, the Suburban is just too darn large and heavy. The Wrangler is already to to tow 4 wheels down as long as it has a nuetral position on the selector.
this would have been my advice
if i got here sooner
jeep is an easy tow and im sure your MH only has a 5k hitch i believe that to be pretty much the standard
only way i would see to justify the z1 is if its allready in your stable and choosing a jeep would mean you had to buy 1
the jeep unlimited wrangler is fun to drive,can carry 5 adults
if you get the hard top its pretty quiet and certainly in its stock form more trail ready than anything out there
brianj
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #12

All good advice - I will go ahead and set my Suburban up to tow (with four kids and the wife we need the room!) but it's not my first choice. I much prefer towing the Jeep. However the Suburban should tow well behind our Discovery since we have a 10,000 lb. hitch and a Brakemaster.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're towing a '06 Wrangler when its just the wife and I with bicycles, and exploring to do. Easy tow wit Readybrake. If we need more room or comfort we'll tow our 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab with the Harley in the back. Both units tow equally well. There's about .3 mile per gallon difference in mileage with ISL 425 Cummins. I like having the flexibility. Till I get a stacker, it'll have to do. Oh by the way, the truck w/bike scaled @ 6150 lbs. I think that your suburban probably is somewhere around 5700lbs. Hope this helps! No one has mentioned, but you will need true 4 wheel drive on the suburban with neutral position on transfer case, not the all wheel drive version.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, towing