Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

No brake or tail lights on trailer

i just purchased a 04 fleetwood storm 34f . i went to hook up my car trailer and i have park lights and flashers but no turn an brake lights. all the lights on the mh are working.the lighting harness is hard wired in the chassis.does anyone have any suggestions.thanks in advance.
kpotter96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Clean the plug with contact cleaner. I just bought an '03 and when I was wiring it from a 4 pin flat pack to a 7 pin RV type I used the old flat pack. I had similar flaky behavior until I cleaned the original flat pack.
sheepofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

i checked the pins an have no power on the turn/brake on the left or right side of plug.it has a 7 pin
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

There could be a wiring issue in the harness.

The flashers, turn and brake lights should be on the same bulb element. Only the parking lights are stand alone bulb elements.

There is only one bulb in a trailer's taillight (with 2 elements). Many modern motorhomes have separate turn and brake lights, so a taillight adapter (5 wire in - 4 wire out) is needed to make it work correctly, like:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towp...erter/24357025

Hardwired doesn't mean wired correctly.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Well something is not right. If it were my vehicle I would get a test light or a volt meter. It is a process of elimination. I would have a friend or wife step on the brakes and I would check the connection on the motorhome, check the turn signals. If I have signal I would check for signal on the embilical cord. If I have power than I would check the tow vehicle. Where ever you do not have power is where you start looking for the problem.

It could be wires not connected, a fuse, cut or wires not connected, or a number of other items not operating properly.

I hope this helps you find the problem.
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotter96 View Post
i just purchased a 04 fleetwood storm 34f . i went to hook up my car trailer and i have park lights and flashers but no turn an brake lights. all the lights on the mh are working.the lighting harness is hard wired in the chassis.does anyone have any suggestions.thanks in advance.
Well Sir,
First off, I'm not familiar with your model coach so, what I'm about to tell you, may or, may not apply. On some coaches, as in ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, there is a total, separate set of fuses for the trailer plug on the back of the coach. That separate set of fuses, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the regular lights, brake lights, turn signals etc. on the coach. Those are fused by other means.

And, whether or not it's a "Modern" coach, also has nothing to do with it. The tail light arrangement of any coach, is up to the body designer of that coach and model. Age doesn't mean anything. I've seen brand new coaches, with all red tail lights and, that means combo turn and brake filaments on each side. And, I've seen several year old coaches, with amber turn lights. Again, it all depends on the builder during that series of coaches.

So, like what's been stated, I'd pick up a test light and, start testing pins in that trailer plug to determine just what's working and what's not. One thing you need to tell us is, if you have amber turn signals or not. If so, then, at some place in your wiring, most likely near the rear of the coach, "should" be a tail light converter box. That box is used to combine the amber turn signals and brake signals, for each side, into one pin, on the trailer plug. That way, on your trailer plug, you'll see "Right turn/brake" and, "Left turn/brake.

But, if you've got red tail lights only, you'll still see right turn/brake and left turn brake as separate pins in that trailer plug. And, the four way flashers are a totally separate circuit but, utilize the same filaments in the bulbs as your turn signal and brake, depending on whether you have ambers or not.

So, some info is needed so we can help you accurately assess your problem. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
On a standard 7 pin connectors, only three lights are supported, A left turn, a right turn, and tail lights.

There is no separate "Brake Light" pin. When the MH brakes are applied, you should see the left and right turn signals come on at the 7 pin connector.

As Scott mentioned, Your MH may have separate turn signal lights that are different bulbs than the brake lights. However, Your chassis builder usually combines these different signals and produces the correct output to the 7 pin connector.

ALSO - Many chassis builders fuse the three light outputs separately, i.e. there is a fuse in the left, the right, and the tail light trailer circuits.

A voltmeter or tester should verify if the correct signals are available on the 7 pin plug on the MH.
Attached Images

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

yes my coach has amber turn signals with a separate red brake light an another red light for park lights
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
They, the brake lights and turn signal lights, may be separate on the coach, but I bet they get combined on the 7 pin connector.

Your parking lights are probably the "Tail Lights:" on the 7 pin connector.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
They, the brake lights and turn signal lights, may be separate on the coach, but I bet they get combined on the 7 pin connector.

Your parking lights are probably the "Tail Lights:" on the 7 pin connector.
Yep,
That's what I told him earlier. So, it's time for the test light to come out and start testing pins. Again, I don't know whether or not his particular year/model of coach, has separate fuses for the trailer plug or not, like many of our Diesel ones. He'll have to dig into the wiring specs or, find another source to tell him if he does or not.
Scott

P.S. It doesn't happen very often but, can every once in a while. I'm sure he's got the tail light converter at or near the rear of the coach and, it can go bad. He'll have to find it and, along with the test results from probing the pins on the 7-pin plug, probe test the wires before and after the tail light converter. If, he finds it's bad, he'll need a "Three wire to Two wire" converter to replace his. But, we'll wait for the test results.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

The turn signals were run to the plug but not brake lights,i had to use a 6 wire to 4 wire converter and it now works fine thanks for all the help
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats...Thanks for posting the follow-up
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, brake