Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No power at the 7 pin trailer connector on a Class C

Over the past 2 weeks I towed a Jeep behind my Winnebago Access Premier without issue (Jeep tail lights and turn signals all worked just fine). Today on my last day I hooked up my Jeep and no turn signals, brake lights, etc.

I used a meter and it appears that there is NO 12v on the left, right and tail/running pins on the 7 pin on the back of my RV. Ideas? Suggestions? I tried checking the fuses but nothing jumped out to me.

Also, where is the brake controller? Could it be bad? I looked at the manual and it says it is located next to the steering column but there is nothing there.

Chassis: 2013 Ford E-450
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are your RV tail lights, turn signals, and brake lights working?

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, all RV tail lights are functioning correctly.

It is just odd that it worked 2 days earlier.....disconnected with working tail lights on jeep and then when I went to reconnect 2 days later (at RV park) no tail lights on Jeep.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

If you lost everything at once, it sounds like a ground problem. Did you test using the ground in the connector or to an independent ground like the frame?
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

There are a couple fuse locations, did you check the fuses up by the radiator under the hood?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

may or may not be revelant, but on our coach, the 7 pin connection sources are separate from the coach lights .... there may be other fuses just for that ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
additional fuses

You should have a separate fuse box for the seven prong trailer towing light socket - I found mine in the compartment with my inverter - different coach manufactures can and do put them in different locations. below are the pictures and description of where mine were hiding... good luck!

I found the fuse box that houses the fuses for the towing light socket! On my 2007 National Tropi-Cal LX T350, the fuse box is located on the curb side in the back baggage compartment - behind the metal screen in with the Xantrex Inverter. There are two small fuse boxes mounted on the back wall - the one with the number 2 on it housed the fuses. I found 3 blown fuses, left turn/stop, right turn/stop, and marker. After replacing them the towing light plug socket works fine. Hope this information helps somebody else!
Attached Thumbnails

tucson pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Today I used my multi meter and determined that the ground was solid. Then I went and visually inspected fuses based on the descriptions from the chassis manual. All the fuses looked good. I then decided to start pulling fuses that were associated with the brake controller. Each fuse I pulled I tested and the 2nd fuse I pulled was blown. I replaced the fuse and found that the 7 pin connector is working correctly now!

Can a fuse blow/fail due to vibration? I want to find the source of the the blown fuse before my next RV trip. Given that it worked during one leg of my RV trip and not the next makes he question how this fuse was blown? Ideas??
Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #9

I've never heard of a fuse blowing due to vibration. It's more likely you have a problem with a shorted light on the towed vehicle or a poor connection inside either the socket on the motorhome or the plug from the towed vehicle.

We had a problem blowing fuses when we towed our Buick on a dolly. After a couple times I took apart the plug on the dolly. I found several of the wires had loosened up. The one for the brake lights had come off and touched against the ground. It only takes an instant to blow the fuse if the wires are touching when you step on the brake.

Tags
power, class c