Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #1

Noob question

First timer question. When arriving at a campground, where should I stop to disconnect my toad? In the road in front of my campsite or where they have additional parking etc. I donít want to be that guy.
Moab4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 06:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab4me View Post
First timer question. When arriving at a campground, where should I stop to disconnect my toad? In the road in front of my campsite or where they have additional parking etc. I don’t want to be that guy.
If we've booked a pull-through site, we unhook, if necessary, at the site itself. If we've booked a back-in site, we unhook at the campground registration area. It takes about 5 minutes. Usually, I'll unhook the toad while my darling bride is registering us. I'm typically done unhooking the toad before she comes back out of the office. Never had an issue as it's pretty normal.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #3

It depends. We need a 60' long, fairly level, moderately straight spot to unhook. Level and straight are less important for hooking up. We flat tow.

We try to follow the vector sum of practicality, convenience, and courtesy, leaning a bit more toward courtesy. Hooking up is a longer process than disconnecting, so we are aware of what those around us are doing and try to pick a time and place that are convenient for us without discommoding others when we can. Usually, we succeed--that is, other people are usually not waiting for us to clear the spot we choose.

But we've mostly got it down to a science. I don't think it takes longer than three minutes for us to unhook, and usually more like two. As soon as I give the thumbs-up to indicate the tow bar is disconnected from the toad, the toad is in Park and the DW is taking out the Brake Buddy while I stow the tow bar and disconnect the wires, temporarily stowing them so they won't drag on the ground. Fully stowing the wires on both ends can wait for us to be in our spot.

It takes considerably longer to hook up because the Brake Buddy needs to be placed, run its self-test, and then we need to follow its startup procedure. Generally, it takes 4-6 minutes to be ready to roll.

Those rare times we delay others, I think most understand that we are not deliberately causing anyone to wait and are doing our best to make the wait as short as possible. Nobody has ever complained as far as I know, in 30+ years of towing.

Hope this helps...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I try to find an open spot just inside the check-in kiosk and when I get unhooked I drive to find the site and make an entry plan. If that isn't possible, as stated above, I can unhook/hook in less than 5 minutes so I'm really not in anyone's way for long.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always try for a pull through site, after checking in at the office we go to the site and setup. Then we unhook the jeep that we are towing. It takes me longer to get the transmission out of neutral then it takes to unhook the jeep from the RV
Old 08-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

Thanks

Thatís what I needed!
Moab4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum!!

As others said, it depends. Pull throughs we unhook in the camp site. Non-pull throughs we unhook at the entrance, off to the side, if there is room.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a pull through site, wait unit you are in the site. If you have a back in site, get to the side or an overflow area to unhook so you are not blocking traffic. If in doubt, ask in the office when you check in.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #9

We have been as much as 73' long when towing the enclosed trailer. I always planned ahead and confirmed that they had a spot that would accommodate us. That worked so well that I do the same when towing the Avalanche. (63' long) Once we are parked and settled, I unhook only if I intend to stay. We are usually just traveling between homes, so we rarely unhook the toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #10
PKI

So, we are figuring this question out. As noted above, the site, the check-in aisle, or the parking lot next door. We are heading to service and may unhitch in a shopping center down the road a bit. Recently, we left the toad at home and took the coach for fuel. Then we hitched for the trip.

What you should not do .... be that guy ..... by blocking the road, the street, the office .... Otherwise, go for it.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #11

I am of the it depends camp, some places have ample room at the check in area, others don't sometimes the best option is just to temporarily block the road before pulling into a back in site, particularly if there is an easy way for traffic to get around that spot. There is no one right answer here as no two campgrounds have the same layout.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:01 AM   #12

I always ask at check in where we should unhook. They almost always know the best spot.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #13

When in doubt call ahead and ask. All campgrounds are different.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab4me View Post
First timer question. When arriving at a campground, where should I stop to disconnect my toad? In the road in front of my campsite or where they have additional parking etc. I donít want to be that guy.
Being new, you may want to read these tips on flat towing.

https://www.michiganrvandcampgrounds...towing-a-toad/
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote