Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

NSA Hercules Complaint

Hi, I have heard nothing but positive feedback on here about the Hercules but I am really unhappy with mine. I purchased it last year because I like the concept of the surge brake (and largely still do), and because it looks to be very stout.

Over the year, my Hercules has become corroded on the inside of the tubes and the telescoping arms are very difficult to break loose and move (I had to put a breaker bar through the clevis pin and then a pipe on the end of that to crack them loose). We're talking lots of force to break them loose. One of the arms also will not lock (T handle) when I hook up without me manually forcing it and attaching it to my toad. It's all related to the corrosion, but the fit is tighter on one side, which suggests manufacturing tolerance difference. I keep it covered when not in use, but it has seen rain and even some Michigan road salt last winter (a little).

I called NSA and they are helpful and polite. They advised me to take it apart and clean out the rust. So I did...the troublesome arm was such a tight fit that I had to use a torch and then beat the crap out of it to remove it. Then I used a drill and wire brush to ream out the rust. The other side came apart easily. Reassembled and squirted dry lube in there per their advice.

It's going to happen again. There is nothing to keep water from going into the tubes that the stainless arms telescope into. This may not be a problem on Ready Brute Elite because they are aluminum.

My dad purchased a Roadmaster Blackhawk All Terrain 2 and it looks to have some seals to prevent this. It also looks like the arms attach differently so they maybe can't take in water.

Second complaint: Hercules has no provision for a wire to tell me when the surge brake is active in the MH cab like the Ready Brake. The best solution is to splice into my toad brake wire harness and also run a wire to my battery (since my toad requires battery disconnect). Not going to happen...don't want to mess with the wiring. I called NSA, they acknowledged this and said they would tell the boss. OK, but that does not help me. Buyer beware. I've finally figured out how much tension needs to be on the brake cable for it to work right (I think). I warped my toad rotors once...

Overall, I am finally admitting I am not happy with the purchase. Maybe I will take up my complaints with NSA. I am interested to see how my dad's holds up over time, though his will see much less use.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #2

I have a brand new Hercules just using it for the first time on this trip. Sad to say I've already had it apart as I was having issues getting one arm to lock out. Mine is too new so I just had some fine rusty dust to blow out in the tubes. I believe the problem was the drop pins were beveled too crude. When I removed them the factory "rounded off" tips look like a 8th grader took the 1/2" bar stock & hit it with a grinder for a few seconds. I spent maybe 15 minutes with a hand file on each making them smoother so the rod doesn't have so much to overcome to force it up & lock out. I also hit the inside of the tubes with dry lube. They seem to be working much better. This is my 3rd NSA in almost 20 years and overall I'm pleased. The design has changed little & I can have it open & reassembled in minutes. My original ReadyBrute utilized the rubber boots that protected the tube/rods from debris. The new style does not. You have me wondering if I should try to source the rubber boots for the Hercules as a protected measure. I'll be traveling homebound through the weekend. After I get home I'll report back if I have any more issues.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went with my installers advise and used a Roadmaster all-terrain tow bar with the NAS ready brake. He said the Roadmaster had better articulation. Been using this setup for 2 years and a little over 10k miles.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I have a brand new Hercules just using it for the first time on this trip. Sad to say I've already had it apart as I was having issues getting one arm to lock out. Mine is too new so I just had some fine rusty dust to blow out in the tubes. I believe the problem was the drop pins were beveled too crude. When I removed them the factory "rounded off" tips look like a 8th grader took the 1/2" bar stock & hit it with a grinder for a few seconds. I spent maybe 15 minutes with a hand file on each making them smoother so the rod doesn't have so much to overcome to force it up & lock out. I also hit the inside of the tubes with dry lube. They seem to be working much better. This is my 3rd NSA in almost 20 years and overall I'm pleased. The design has changed little & I can have it open & reassembled in minutes. My original ReadyBrute utilized the rubber boots that protected the tube/rods from debris. The new style does not. You have me wondering if I should try to source the rubber boots for the Hercules as a protected measure. I'll be traveling homebound through the weekend. After I get home I'll report back if I have any more issues.
Good idea to source boots, I hadn't considered that.

Googling finds these. Not sure the diameter is large enough for the Hercules and we'd probably need four of them in total, two on each arm. One where it attaches and one where the stainless arm slides in.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX883.../dp/B09PRS7KN3

NSA suggested I remove my T-handles to see if the bevel is cut correctly. I tried doing that with a 7/8" open end wrench. The hex is very slim and I couldn't get mine to budge. Any more force, and they will round off. So I left them in. I might pursue a rebuild from NSA...they advertise the lifetime warranty. I am not sure how they would handle getting the tow bar to them, since I'm not near them.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #5

Mine worked perfectly today. I’m convinced my issue was the poor rounding off of the pins from NSA. Yes the pins are screwed in with loctite so they don’t vibrate out but they will unscrew. I didn’t have loctite so I used Teflon tape putting mine back in.I have always just boxed mine up and sent it UPS. NSA will cover the freight back. I will get home Sunday and I may even pretty up the pins some more.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFell View Post

Second complaint: Hercules has no provision for a wire to tell me when the surge brake is active in the MH cab like the Ready Brake. The best solution is to splice into my toad brake wire harness and also run a wire to my battery (since my toad requires battery disconnect). Not going to happen...don't want to mess with the wiring. I called NSA, they acknowledged this and said they would tell the boss. OK, but that does not help me. Buyer beware. I've finally figured out how much tension needs to be on the brake cable for it to work right (I think). I warped my toad rotors once...
To address your brake light situation..

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...ght_switch.php

Looks like 2 options

Something like this can be used with any tow bar and doesn't require splicing into your toad wiring

The mechanical switch is mounted on a bracket so it is compressed (open circuit) while resting against the brake pedal arm.

Run one switch wire to a ground and the other to a light on you rv dash.

The dash light wires will use 1 for 12v power and the other to the switch

When the brake pedal is activated the switch closes and completes the circuit which will turn on the light

They also have a IR light activated switch.... I've never installed one but looks like the same concept...