Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #85

On a Wrangler, the vacuum assist isn’t needed. Tugging on the cable coming out of the bumper actuates the brake more than enough to stop the vehicle with no vacuum assist. I cant speak for all vehicles but my RBE will pull very very hard on the cable if needed. With more than 3” of lever throw. It will pull hard on the brake lever.

Do some vehicles need lots of vacuum boost just to get the brakes to function?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #86

We have no issues with the ready brake system towing our Wrangler. That being said I have to add that we are towing with a 35K lb Wanderlodge. You don't know that the Wrangler is even there whether accelerating or stopping. The braking system of the Wrangler really has minimal effect. I am more concerned that the emergency break away part of the system would stop the Wrangler should it ever become detached. I believe it would and hope never to test that.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #87
jrs

Pleased with mine while doing 16.4K miles of towing.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #88

I've had no problem with lack of vacuum boost on our CRV or Ford Edge Sport.
It's just not an issue.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
No problem with applying brakes for me either. It is the genius of this system the more pressure generated by the force of the toad pushing into the MH the harder the toad brakes will be applied. The harder the brakes are applied, the less force is applied to the coach from the toad. It is a self adjusting system powered by physics. Physics will never fail.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
No problem with applying brakes for me either. It is the genius of this system the more pressure generated by the force of the toad pushing into the MH the harder the toad brakes will be applied. The harder the brakes are applied, the less force is applied to the coach from the toad. It is a self adjusting system powered by physics. Physics will never fail.

Yep.

This will sound crazy but I was very concerned about the RBE’s ability to actuate the brakes on our Wrangler if there was no vacuum boost left. After I installed the actuator cable I tested the braking power by putting my wife in the driver seat, on a moderately steep decline, transmission in neutral, engine off, parking brake on, pumped the brakes a dozen times to bleed all the vacuum from the system.

I stood in front of the jeep and stuck my finger in the loop of the cable. I pulled on the loop pretty hard. Signaled my wife to release the parking brake. Relaxed my pull on the cable. The jeep moved forward. I tugged the cable and the jeep immediately stopped. I did this several times letting the jeep gain more and more speed each time. Just using my finger in the cable I could easily stop my jeep going down a moderate hill at a slow speed. The RBE applies way more force on the cable than I could with my finger.

After that simple test I was absolutely sure I picked the right braking system for my Wrangler and non air brake coach.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
You’re a lot braver than me. Getting in front of the vehicle on a hill with the wife behind the wheel is way too convenient of an opportunity for an “accident”[emoji15]
I’ll say it again, a great simplistic product with a lifetime guarantee. Who does that these days?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #92

I think I must have the Grand Daddy of the Ready Brake System. Mine looks fairly old compared to the newer versions, but it still work great. Not sure how long my Dad used this brake system. I've been using it for 6 years.

I did install a switch on the brake pedal. Then I ran a wire to an LED light on the dash that illuminates when the brake is pulled by the system. I was worried about the cable getting caught up and dragging the brakes. It's never happened, but it's great for a piece of mind knowing when it's working.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #93

Here's the photo that didn't attach for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready Brake.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	347241  
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Interesting discussion. While it is true that the system converts pressure that the TOAD applies to the coach and once the spring is depressed, the remaining force is applied to the brake pedal, there is no vacuum assist and the brake pedal will be very hard to press. Some owners have even complained about "stuttering" when the brakes are applied, which undoubtedly will be under a lot of pedal pressure. Interesting that they do sell an auxiliary vacuum pump to eliminate this problem. The whole system would work a lot better and smoother with some vacuum assist, without it the it is really "standing on the pedal" to get braking.

My Invisibrake connects to the reservoir and creates "a little" vacuum, not with an actual vacuum pump but since the compressor that activates the air cylinder draws its air from the vacuum line. Normal vacuum on my TOAD is 15 to 25 inches, the Invisibrake creates around 5 or 6 inches when running.
Have you first hand experience with the Ready Brake system? It seems like the only negative comments are from people who have made other choices.
Brdennis1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdennis1976 View Post
Have you first hand experience with the Ready Brake system? It seems like the only negative comments are from people who have made other choices.
I'm a Ready Brake owner and wholeheartedly agree.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:28 PM   #96

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Here's the photo that didn't attach for some reason.
That looks just like my setup (made before the name change to NSA) - including the clamps to take out any movement in the receiver bars and keep things tight. They eliminate sideway movements so the toad doesn't wander because of grooves in the pavement when it should be going straight.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:23 PM   #97

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdennis1976 View Post
Happy owner since 2013! Also installed a second light activated by towed brake pedal.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:34 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Happy owner since 2013! Also installed a second light activated by towed brake pedal.
Did you install it in in the dash area of your motorhome, or in the window of your toad?
Brdennis1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ready brake