Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
NSA Ready Brake vs other Brake Technologies

I have been using the Ready Brake surge brakes for my 2000 mile trip to Virginia and it has performed beautifully. It is so easy to set up, just a matter of hooking up a single cable as I am hooking up the tow bar. It works so well and is such a simple concept that virtually nothing that can go wrong. no electrical or pneumatic to hook up. It just works.
My question is why this simple, effective technology is not more popular. I see no down side to this. Plus, it is WAY less expensive.
Now, maybe I am missing something here, so what what makes systems like Air Force One and Brake Buddy better?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #2

Who said the other systems are better? The best is a matter of opinion. There is many reasons why one is the best. I have the Ready Brake Elite ll and I am very pleaed with it, simple and all mechanical.
ROUGHRIDER3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #3

They don't advertise much so you don't really see them in the towing guides.
A lot of folks just don't know about them. I think it is the best system.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Lots of people in my circle of RV friends thing that the Ready Brake is compromise for those who can't afford the more expensive and complicated brake systems. My question is not really geared to current Ready Brake users who like it. I would like to hear from other system users and ideally former RB users who switched.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

I'm a RB devotee for 15 years. I would contend people may choose a aux brake system & not take into account what could go wrong. I have been a member of RV forums for almost 20 years & have read plenty of stories about all kinds of aux brake systems causing damage to toads. Of course that includes operator error as well as improper installs. I give the RB system high marks for limiting that possibility.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Lots of people in my circle of RV friends thing that the Ready Brake is compromise for those who can't afford the more expensive and complicated brake systems.

I don't think that is true at all. Certainly not why I chose it.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using the NSA ReadyBrake system since 2012. Love it! It's simple, easy to set up, effective, and the lowest cost braking system out there! The lifetime warranty is nice too!

I remember the old adage "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) !
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #8

I totally agree with F4Gary. More complex is not not better, greater chance of failure. The less parts/assemblies involved the higher the reliability. This holds true for most anything.
ROUGHRIDER3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #9

Ready Brake systems works great, ours has been problem free for the last 8 years its a surge brake very simple and effective.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I think some donít like the idea of drilling holes in the firewall running a cable etc.

They want something the can drop on the floorboard and walk away. It also gives them the ability to swap toads easy.

Also they buy at the dealer NSA is not at most dealers.

BTW. I like my ready beak.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #11

As I have stated in other posts I believe the weakness in the Ready Brake system is the inability to test exactly what braking you are going to get while towing. I used my Ready Brake Elite for at least 40k miles of towing and finally realized that wear in the tow bar and any internal failures of the internal spring/shock assembly will affect the braking performance and you probably wonít know it. When my tow bar loosened up with wear, it allowed the car to move up and back from the coach during towing which significantly affected the sling cable slack. If you happened to adjust it while parked on a downslope so the car was up close to the coach, the slack would be removed as the car moved back when accelerating or moving up hill. Once I realized the implications of tow bar looseness on the sling cable, I sent it back to NSA to remove the looseness who also found that the spring/shock assembly had failed. I suspect that the failed spring/shock assembly may have allowed the car brakes to be ridden down some mountain downgrades we traveled when the front brake rotors wrapped around that same time. And I had no way to know when the car brakes actually came on since the RBE notification light was only triggered by movement of the tow bar arm and not the carís brake pedal. So I would advise users to stay on top of maintenance and keep it tight. I never figured out if it was even possible for a user to identify a failure in the spring/shock assembly or not. NSA is great to do maintenance and repairs and will turn it around quickly under their lifetime warranty.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
NSA Ready Brake vs other Brake Technologies

While I understand that the OP is looking for input from other brake system users,I cannot hold back from replying. I have the NSA Hercules bar. I bought it for its high tow rating (12,000 lbs) and also because a friend has had their Elite bar for years and loved it. I added another switch to my trucks (toad) brake pedal to trigger the light I installed on my motorhome dash. This way I know exactly when my toads brake pedal is actuated. The tow bar and brake system has worked flawlessly for about 20,000 miles with only one slight adjustment to the actuator cable. The only thing to check for those that have adjustable pedals in their toad is to be sure the pedals are in the same position as they were when you initially made up your actuator cable. I did mine with the pedals all the way back. The name ďHerculesĒ is very fitting for the tow bar as it is very well built. The added benefit is that their systems have a lifetime warranty. Itís the last tow bar and braking setup that you will ever have to buy. Iím very happy that I chose their equipment. Itís nice not having to mess with another brake system when getting ready to go. Canít lie, saving a pile of cash at the same time never feels bad.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
As I have stated in other posts I believe the weakness in the Ready Brake system is the inability to test exactly what braking you are going to get while towing. I used my Ready Brake Elite for at least 40k miles of towing and finally realized that wear in the tow bar and any internal failures of the internal spring/shock assembly will affect the braking performance and you probably wonít know it. When my tow bar loosened up with wear, it allowed the car to move up and back from the coach during towing which significantly affected the sling cable slack. If you happened to adjust it while parked on a downslope so the car was up close to the coach, the slack would be removed as the car moved back when accelerating or moving up hill. Once I realized the implications of tow bar looseness on the sling cable, I sent it back to NSA to remove the looseness who also found that the spring/shock assembly had failed. I suspect that the failed spring/shock assembly may have allowed the car brakes to be ridden down some mountain downgrades we traveled when the front brake rotors wrapped around that same time. And I had no way to know when the car brakes actually came on since the RBE notification light was only triggered by movement of the tow bar arm and not the carís brake pedal. So I would advise users to stay on top of maintenance and keep it tight. I never figured out if it was even possible for a user to identify a failure in the spring/shock assembly or not. NSA is great to do maintenance and repairs and will turn it around quickly under their lifetime warranty.
I will take issue with a couple of points you make. The first is the "looseness" in the tow bar. If your tow bar is so loose that it materially affects the slack in your activation cable it is a very long way past when it should have been serviced. Another is you can't test the braking function of the Ready Brake. If you were so inclined to test the function. You could always put a video camera on the brake pedal and take the rig for a test ride and see if the brake pedal moves. You could also work the lever on the Ready Brake with a turnbuckle connected to the coach frame and test it that way. Granted, neither one of these is a quick or easy test but they would likely be effective at testing the function of the Ready Brake. As always nothing mechanical is foolproof but for the simplicity, ease of use and the price I don't think I'll ever have anything else.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I will take issue with a couple of points you make. The first is the "looseness" in the tow bar. If your tow bar is so loose that it materially affects the slack in your activation cable it is a very long way past when it should have been serviced. Another is you can't test the braking function of the Ready Brake. If you were so inclined to test the function. You could always put a video camera on the brake pedal and take the rig for a test ride and see if the brake pedal moves. You could also work the lever on the Ready Brake with a turnbuckle connected to the coach frame and test it that way. Granted, neither one of these is a quick or easy test but they would likely be effective at testing the function of the Ready Brake. As always nothing mechanical is foolproof but for the simplicity, ease of use and the price I don't think I'll ever have anything else.
I agree with you that I should have had it serviced earlier. However I did call NSA about the looseness and they said to just tighten up the bolts which I did several times but it would quickly loosen up again. They said I could send it back but didnít think I really needed to. Once I realized that it was affecting the cable adjustment I fdid send it back. And I agree that you COULD test it but normal people arenít likely to do that because of the difficulty, especially if they arenít aware of any possible adverse consequences. I am not tying to talk anybody out of using the system, I just wanted to inform people of the issues I encountered and that itís something to be aware of and to address before they cause any of the problems I encountered. Most commenters state that they love the system and never had any issues, but issues can happen in even the most simple systems and itís good to aware of them. Having worked in an industry where safety is the overriding priority and you test everything it is discomforting to me to not be able to easily and periodically test the performance of a safety system.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ready brake