Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

NSA ReadyBrake Tow System Price Increase

Just a heads up for anyone on the fence about purchasing, they have a price increase starting Dec. 1, 2013. I found out due to just placing my order so I got in under the wire. I do not know how much of an increase but their website says "Significant".

I ordered through Towbarsunlimited.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad that I've already got mine. Price increase don't surprise me, mine was cheap compaired to some setups
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Glad that I've already got mine. Price increase don't surprise me, mine was cheap compaired to some setups
Yes, they are much cheaper than other's I have found. My research found many happy users and only one unhappy. Usually the unhappy seem to dominate on most products, so maybe it will be as good as everyone says. I think I saved $500 - $1000, over other tow/brake products.

I hope if any one is on the fence about purchasing this product they see this thread soon.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up! I love my ReadyBrute towbars with ReadyBrake!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

I am also happy with my ready brute setup. I went with the blue Ox baseplate. I ordered my entire setup from hitchsource.com. Great customer service and competitive price plus free shipping on my entire order
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Have been using my ready brute for 4 years and never any problem and can understand why they are raising the price, one of the best system I have found....
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Mods to the Ready Brake install

Gents,
Just for those who might be interested, I've made some modifications to the install of the Ready Brake system install. Now, I've not changed any of the operation of the unit. It still works exactly like it's supposed to and intended. All I've done is change some of the components for my liking. Some have seen my mods and have adapted their install to them. They are simple and with the exception of purchasing a particular tool for doing part of the job, the changes/mods are very inexpensive.

But, one of my mods is for, (1), incredibly nicer looks at the brake arm attachment point, and (2), the cable is only connected when the toad is being towed, and not any other time which, allows for the preservation of the cable and housing for longer lasting components and, reducing un needed wear and tear.

The other mod, allows for INCREDIBLY easier "link cable" adjustment, between the toad and the coach. Below are pictures of my mods. Now, first, let me say that if you are happy with the way that R/B instructs you to install their components, then that's great, no problem. This is not mandatory, it's just something I came up with a few years ago with my first R/B install.

The primary tool that's needed for much of the mods is called a "Cable ferrule crimp tool". It looks like a set of bolt cutters only instead of cutters in the jaws, it's got multiple sized cut-outs for different size cable ferrules. You can get the tool at Home Depot for about $20.00, plus or minus. I've had that tool around now for years and have used it on a zillion little cable projects, not just the R/B application.

Basically, these are the modifications. R/B wants you to permanently attach the cable to the brake arm via two pieces of metal and nuts and bolts. I don't know how you folks think but, to me, that's one hideous looking setup. And, as state, because it's permanently attached, that cable is being actuated, in-out, in-out, in-out for each and every time you actuate the brakes on the toad when driving it.

So, not wanting for my cable to be worn out prematurely and, REALLY not liking the hideous looking attachment on the brake arm, I changed that setup. What I did was simple. I purchased a screen door roller, plastic (but you can get the metal type if you like). Then, I encompassed that roller with the cable and installed a cable ferrule and crimped it very close to that roller so the roller cannot come out of the loop of the cable.

Then, after installing the cable housing and, seeing the "projected arc" of the brake arm when being actuated, I drilled that brake arm with a drill bit that was only .004 smaller than a 1/4" pin to be inserted in that hole. I then inserted/pressed in, that 1/4" pin using a large C-clamp and a socket. The pin has a hole drilled across the tip to allow for a "Hitch pin clip" to be inserted after the cable end/roller had been placed on the pin. Done!

So, now when it comes time to hook the toad up for towing, the DW handles all the inside stuff and I do the outside stuff (tow bar, cables electrical etc. All she does is, reach below the floor mat, retrieve the cable end, place it on the pin, insert the hitch pin and, she's done. It all takes about 5 seconds.

As for the second mod, it involves the "link cable" between the toads front bumper and the actuator. R/B wants you to "loop" that cable and install two cable clamps, one on each end, to use for cable length adjustment. Well, again, that's hideous to me. So, I modified that setup. What I did, again, was simple. I installed a marine grade, polished stainless steel, turn buckle. Again, the use of that cable crimp tool is a must here. In the pictures you'll see how I did what I did.

Now, when it comes time for that link cable adjustment, it's a very simple matter of twisting that turn buckle in whatever direction needed for infinite adjustments. A tiny hitch pin in the tip of each of the threaded sections of the turn buckle prevents any of the threads from backing off. And any time adjustment is needed, it's a matter of seconds to do it. And yes, it does need some once in a while.

Anyway, it's just some ideas if anyone's interested. It was fun to do the mods and, like stated, the operation of the R/B system is exactly as it is intended to be.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add another to the list of happy ReadyBrute Elite owners! I'm not surprised to hear of a price increase. Everything keeps costing more and as the popularity of the ReadyBrute grows, the demand will go up and the price with it. At the time we bought ours I looked on the internet for quite a while and couldn't find a less expensive way to get into flat towing with a tow bar, base plate, and brake system without buying used equipment.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
Just for those who might be interested, I've made some modifications to the install of the Ready Brake system install. Now, I've not changed any of the operation of the unit. It still works exactly like it's supposed to and intended. All I've done is change some of the components for my liking. Some have seen my mods and have adapted their install to them. They are simple and with the exception of purchasing a particular tool for doing part of the job, the changes/mods are very inexpensive.

But, one of my mods is for, (1), incredibly nicer looks at the brake arm attachment point, and (2), the cable is only connected when the toad is being towed, and not any other time which, allows for the preservation of the cable and housing for longer lasting components and, reducing un needed wear and tear.

The other mod, allows for INCREDIBLY easier "link cable" adjustment, between the toad and the coach. Below are pictures of my mods. Now, first, let me say that if you are happy with the way that R/B instructs you to install their components, then that's great, no problem. This is not mandatory, it's just something I came up with a few years ago with my first R/B install.

The primary tool that's needed for much of the mods is called a "Cable ferrule crimp tool". It looks like a set of bolt cutters only instead of cutters in the jaws, it's got multiple sized cut-outs for different size cable ferrules. You can get the tool at Home Depot for about $20.00, plus or minus. I've had that tool around now for years and have used it on a zillion little cable projects, not just the R/B application.

Basically, these are the modifications. R/B wants you to permanently attach the cable to the brake arm via two pieces of metal and nuts and bolts. I don't know how you folks think but, to me, that's one hideous looking setup. And, as state, because it's permanently attached, that cable is being actuated, in-out, in-out, in-out for each and every time you actuate the brakes on the toad when driving it.

So, not wanting for my cable to be worn out prematurely and, REALLY not liking the hideous looking attachment on the brake arm, I changed that setup. What I did was simple. I purchased a screen door roller, plastic (but you can get the metal type if you like). Then, I encompassed that roller with the cable and installed a cable ferrule and crimped it very close to that roller so the roller cannot come out of the loop of the cable.

Then, after installing the cable housing and, seeing the "projected arc" of the brake arm when being actuated, I drilled that brake arm with a drill bit that was only .004 smaller than a 1/4" pin to be inserted in that hole. I then inserted/pressed in, that 1/4" pin using a large C-clamp and a socket. The pin has a hole drilled across the tip to allow for a "Hitch pin clip" to be inserted after the cable end/roller had been placed on the pin. Done!

So, now when it comes time to hook the toad up for towing, the DW handles all the inside stuff and I do the outside stuff (tow bar, cables electrical etc. All she does is, reach below the floor mat, retrieve the cable end, place it on the pin, insert the hitch pin and, she's done. It all takes about 5 seconds.

As for the second mod, it involves the "link cable" between the toads front bumper and the actuator. R/B wants you to "loop" that cable and install two cable clamps, one on each end, to use for cable length adjustment. Well, again, that's hideous to me. So, I modified that setup. What I did, again, was simple. I installed a marine grade, polished stainless steel, turn buckle. Again, the use of that cable crimp tool is a must here. In the pictures you'll see how I did what I did.

Now, when it comes time for that link cable adjustment, it's a very simple matter of twisting that turn buckle in whatever direction needed for infinite adjustments. A tiny hitch pin in the tip of each of the threaded sections of the turn buckle prevents any of the threads from backing off. And any time adjustment is needed, it's a matter of seconds to do it. And yes, it does need some once in a while.

Anyway, it's just some ideas if anyone's interested. It was fun to do the mods and, like stated, the operation of the R/B system is exactly as it is intended to be.
Scott

Some interesting adjustments to installation. I will certainly consider your changes upon my install. I like the change with the brake arm/cable attachment on toad.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

osok,
There's a few ways of altering the cable install at the brake arm. My way of drilling the hole a couple of thousandths smaller so I could "press" that pin in, was more or less sort of "anal" in its origin. A simpler way would be to purchase a "full thread", 1 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt, and drill the arm and install the bolt. Secure it to the brake arm with a nut.

Then, all that's needed is the screen door roller, a cable ferrule crimp tool and, you're home free. I pressed that pin in there because I had the tools to do so and, it's kind of a challenge to me for stuff like that. Now, I don't have a picture of just the pin, without the cable hooked to it but, in reality, that pin is almost invisible without the cable hooked to it. And, again, the nice part of it is, that cable simply sits, under the mat, until it's called for to be hooked up to the brake arm.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake