RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

OEM light operation with towed vehicle harness

Is there a towed vehicle harness available that will allow the rear lights to operate as if they are being operated by the vehicle itself? A quick connector/diode arrangement would be fine.

My existing separate harness on the 2006 Jeep Liberty has a separate bulb on the normally vacant bottom lens part. The single bulb on each side operates like a brake, signal, and marker combination and not too bright even with the 3157 separate bulb. The normal Jeep light operation has the top brake light and yellow turn signal operating separately and are brighter. The yellow signal light operation is desirable. The Hopkins and Curt quick connector/diode harnesses don't have that OEM style operation from what I saw on YouTube. Those harnesses operate like what I have.
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
travel man-

While we are waiting for someone to come along who knows all about Jeep wiring harnesses, you may want to look at this post:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2012-...ml#post3135698

It should apply to any toad with separate brake and turn lights.

A suggestion: You should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #3

Travel man,
Mark linked you a thread about towing Honda CRV's and, wiring them up for towing. I'm the one that drew up the schematic you see in that thread. Not many on here would go through that kind of wiring, just so all the tail lights, RED AND AMBER worked correctly when the vehicle is being towed, just like they do when it's being driven. It really is not very hard to do it that way. If you study that schematic, it's actually quite simple.

The only thing that confuses some folks on here is, I used what's called a "Tail light converter" in the wiring. I did that SPECIFICALLY so the AMBER turn signals on our '11 Honda CRV would blink, just like they do when we were driving it. And, the brake lights worked, ALL THREE OF THEM, exactly like they did when we were driving it.

You see, it's my opinion that, folks following a vehicle being towed behind a motor home, are looking for, and would be more accustomed to, light signals from the vehicle being towed, that replicate the same action as if it were being driven. In traffic conditions, and especially with the sun at your back, you sure as heck don't want to add any confusion, to already confused American drivers. They get confused too easily as it is.

You'll also see diodes in that schematic. Yes, those are needed to control the direction of the motorhome signals, being sent to the toad. They keep juice from going to places its not supposed to. I ONLY use them in the brake/turn signal wiring. I DO NOT use them in the tail light circuits. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to put them in that circuit. By doing it this way, yes, the front parking lights will light up along with the rear tail lights. I don't and never have, minded that at all. In fact, its my insurance policy that, things are working as they are supposed to, as seen in my monitor for the rear camera in the coach. Any questions?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the posts. I've been looking at the schematic and can build the circuit. An existing harness would have been nice since sometimes I can save money and time and get OEM connectors. I can look at a simple harness with OEM connectors and add what I need. The OEM style operation of the lights is preferred for the same reason you wrote about. I like the fit and finish side of it, too.

The harness in the RV works fine for Uhaul and most others trailers and I did not want to disturb it. Would a 2 to 3 wire converter work okay in the towed vehicle when connected to an RV that has a 3 to 2 wire converter installed in its harness?
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_man View Post
Thanks for the posts. I've been looking at the schematic and can build the circuit. An existing harness would have been nice since sometimes I can save money and time and get OEM connectors. I can look at a simple harness with OEM connectors and add what I need. The OEM style operation of the lights is preferred for the same reason you wrote about. I like the fit and finish side of it, too.

The harness in the RV works fine for Uhaul and most others trailers and I did not want to disturb it. Would a 2 to 3 wire converter work okay in the towed vehicle when connected to an RV that has a 3 to 2 wire converter installed in its harness?
While that schematic I drew up LOOKS like it may be a tad bit complicated, it's actually very simple and, everything, including the 2-wire to 3-wire converter, was all tucked in behind the Honda CRV's left tail light. It doesn't take much room at all. And yes, you can *step down* with a 3-wire to 2-wire and, on the toad, *step it back up) to a 2-wire to 3-wire without issue.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, tow, towed