Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

Older ACME tow dolly straps

Hello All!

This is my first post to the forum which I have referenced for the past year. Great stuff you have here!

I had a question.

I just purchased an older ACME tow dolly (plastic ramps and all) and was wondering how the tire straps work. I have a trip tomorrow with it. Eventually I will buy some new straps.

How do these need to be setup? I found online for the newer version but nothing for this one. It has three hooks and a ratchet with a hook (strap is yellow).

Thanks in advance.

Van
BagmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagmanRV View Post
I just purchased an older ACME tow dolly (plastic ramps and all) and was wondering how the tire straps work. I have a trip tomorrow with it. Eventually I will buy some new straps.

How do these need to be setup? I found online for the newer version but nothing for this one. It has three hooks and a ratchet with a hook (strap is yellow).
Three hooks? Not familiar with that one. Where are they? Some pictures of the straps and the dolly would be helpful.

Ray
Old 08-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

Pics would def help.

Thanks!

Van
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0418.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	257706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0419.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	257708  

Old 08-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
NXR

If it's like others I've seen, two hooks would go in the loops on the back of the tire so there are two straps helping keep the tire from rolling backwards. The other, obviously, would go in one of the front loops and the ratcheting handle would draw it up tight.

FYI, their email address usually gets a response same day if you send it early enough. Or give them a call. It's a small company and I'm sure they will provide you with all of the help you need.

Phone: 336-996-4396
email: acmetowdolly@gmail.com

If you haven't left yet, please drape one of the harnesses over a tire and send a picture so we can see what is hanging off of each end. I'm not understanding why the two front loops seem to be in line with the rear loops.

Ray
Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If it's like others I've seen, two hooks would go in the loops on the back of the tire so there are two straps helping keep the tire from rolling backwards. The other, obviously, would go in one of the front loops and the ratcheting handle would draw it up tight.

FYI, their email address usually gets a response same day if you send it early enough. Or give them a call. It's a small company and I'm sure they will provide you with all of the help you need.

Phone: 336-996-4396
email: acmetowdolly@gmail.com

If you haven't left yet, please drape one of the harnesses over a tire and send a picture so we can see what is hanging off of each end. I'm not understanding why the two front loops seem to be in line with the rear loops.

Ray

Thanks! I think I have it figured out. Just would want something from the manufacturer in case I missed something.

Pulling a 2008 Prius later today. From what I read there is no steering lock and it. Should not be a problem towing it.

Van
Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
NXR

How did it go?

Ray
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

I'm thinking 2 hooks rear loops one hook front ratchet at last loop tightens all down kinda a lasso . 4 point hold down.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 AM   #8

How much did you pay for the dolly?
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly