Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Older Blue Ox tow bar reluctant to latch

I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar, the old style with no rubber dust boot / bellows protecting the piston, and with a round collar to pull back and unlock the pistons.

Looks like this one, but more beat-up: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/9...8177590_tp.jpg

At first it worked great, but after driving 6 hours in caked-on salt, washing the salt off with fresh water, and a couple nights below freezing, one of the arms is now very reluctant to latch.

When I hold it in my hand with no toad involved, I can slide the piston out and push on the plastic latching collar, and it will pop into place and latch. But it took about 6 miles of hair-raising driving on a busy road with frequent stops before the 2nd arm would finally latch and settled the car in the middle of the lane.

Have I ruined my tow bar? How do you grease these things?
BananaCollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

You didn’t ruin it in 6 hours, more likely you just discovered why the previous owner sold it. For a quick fix hose it out with brake cleaner to clean the internals then grease the shaft and internals by squirting lube into the small vent/drain holes in the tube. Use aerosol grease with the straw attached to make it easy.

These things do wear out. I replace mine about every 50k miles (of severe service).

You can also send them to Blue Ox for refurbishing, or better yet catch them at one of the RV shows.

Tags
blue ox, tow