Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #15

Thanks all,

This thread is great. I would like to purchase in the next month or so but if it goes past August I can wait it out for the right one.

Currently we are either with friends who have a TT and a truck or have guests who drive or my wife drives separate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
I'd go with a 2004-2006 LJ Wrangler. The LJ is 10 inches longer than a TJ, so the ride is a little better and you will have tons more room behind the rear seat.
They are getting hard to find (in good condition), as they are being snapped up for off road builds.
If you can't find one of those, then 2002-2006 TJ Wrangler.
This engine is distributor less and has newer style airbags.
The TJ / LJ is much better for the ride, due to the coil spring suspension, vs, the YJ 1987-1995 which has leaf springs and square headlights
Also, don't compromise on the engine, the 4 cyl is junk. Stay with the 4.0 straight 6.
I rock crawl and still prefer the automatic, so I am biased.
Don't forget.... Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park for towing....
I usually have jeeps for sale, but currently, none... Well one's for sale, but it's not a daily driver....
Hey, I know that rock!! Always have to flex out on Tombstone @ Uwharrie!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 92' YJ for many years and upwards of 200k miles. It was 6 cylinder, automatic, hardtop, and air conditioning. Not many with this configuration. Lifted and locked at both ends.

Then bought a 2005 TJ Rubicon in 2007. Many modifications and add-ons over the years. Its never been a fail driver - had 43k miles when we bought it and now 75k - plus maybe 30-40k towed. We off-road it regularly.

I plan to be buried in it. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #18

Older Jeep Wrangler advice

We looked and looked for over a year and finally the right rig at the right price came along and I snatched it up. I was all set on a newer JK Wrangler but my wife felt we were better off with something a little older. A few weeks back a 2006 TJU (LJ) showed up locally so I scurried down and took a look. Sure enough it was in perfect shape and reasonably priced. I bought it on the spot. As mentioned the LJ’s have a 10” longer wheelbase but are 15” longer inside so they have a lot more space than a standard 2 door Wrangler.

Im pretty excited to get it down to the RV this fall when we head back down for winter.

Rubicon with just under 80k on it. Auto trans with the 4.0.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6487.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	581.6 KB
ID:	204705

Name:	IMG_6489.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	204706

Name:	IMG_6491.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	204707

Name:	IMG_6435.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	204708

Name:	IMG_6430.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	204709

Name:	IMG_6396.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	204710
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmh View Post
Hi,

After seeing a couple of older Wranglers around today I am thinking that could be the the toad for me.

It will not be my daily driver and will mainly be for local use.

Anyone own an older one which can chime in. How old is too old and how many miles are too much?

Am I better off with a manual or automatic?

Thanks,
First you need to specify what "older" is. For some that could mean something in the 1970's and others in the 2010's.
As for the transmission... it doesn't matter for flat towing as the transfer case is what is put into neutral for towing.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We flat tow a 2001 Wrangler 6cyl. 130 k miles on speedo We love the ease of towing plus the fact we can do some off roading. The problem you might have is finding an older one that is not beat up or rusted out. We live in MI so it was pretty hard to find one we bought from another couple who bought new and towed it to FL every year.
Good Luck
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #21

The only thing i didn’t like about my JL was that the seats were lower than in my 2000TJ. There is a lift kit for them and that made a difference.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
The only thing i didn’t like about my JL was that the seats were lower than in my 2000TJ. There is a lift kit for them and that made a difference.

My LJ has adjustable seats (up/down) so the lower seat height isnt an issue. I do see they make a 1.5” seat frame riser for the LJ/TJ. So that could be an option.

I wonder why the LJ has lower seats than a TJ which is basically the same rig only longer.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
My LJ has adjustable seats (up/down) so the lower seat height isnt an issue. I do see they make a 1.5” seat frame riser for the LJ/TJ. So that could be an option.

I wonder why the LJ has lower seats than a TJ which is basically the same rig only longer.
Well,
As I read both of those, I'm wondering if this might be one of those conversations where two people are talking and, without realizing it, the subject matter is completely different for each side of the conversation. Jake21 said he's not happy with the seat height in his "JL" which, is the newest revision of the Wrangler lineup, starting '18.

Whereas, AKIQPilot is talking "LJ" which, is the longer version of the TJ that was introduced in late '04 and continued through the '06 year.

Now, we've had three "TJ" model Jeeps. A '99 Sahara, an '04 Rubicon and, an '03 Rubicon. Not one of those came with any form of HEIGHT adjustable seats. They're fixed frame. They do move forward and backward, as is normal. And yes, many folks, including us, did use seat spacers for raising them for better sight and vision for various driving conditions both on and off road. You had to be careful on the passenger seat though. The reason was/is, if you put too high of a spacer under the passengers seat frame, when you tilt that seat for entrance into the back seat area, the front of the seat bottom upholstery would hit on the bottom side of the dash.

Now, we have a '15 JKUR and, it came with a HEIGHT adjustment. It's just like the one I had in my two diesel VW Beetles. You ratchet the handle up or down, depending on if you want the seat to go up or down. Sure wish they'd have come up with that in the earlier Jeeps.

And, I'm wondering, with so many changes to the "JL", why Jake21 would not have that in the new JL lineup, hmmmm.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,

As I read both of those, I'm wondering if this might be one of those conversations where two people are talking and, without realizing it, the subject matter is completely different for each side of the conversation. Jake21 said he's not happy with the seat height in his "JL" which, is the newest revision of the Wrangler lineup, starting '18.

Whereas, AKIQPilot is talking "LJ" which, is the longer version of the TJ that was introduced in late '04 and continued through the '06 year.

Now, we've had three "TJ" model Jeeps. A '99 Sahara, an '04 Rubicon and, an '03 Rubicon. Not one of those came with any form of HEIGHT adjustable seats. They're fixed frame. They do move forward and backward, as is normal. And yes, many folks, including us, did use seat spacers for raising them for better sight and vision for various driving conditions both on and off road. You had to be careful on the passenger seat though. The reason was/is, if you put too high of a spacer under the passengers seat frame, when you tilt that seat for entrance into the back seat area, the front of the seat bottom upholstery would hit on the bottom side of the dash.

Now, we have a '15 JKUR and, it came with a HEIGHT adjustment. It's just like the one I had in my two diesel VW Beetles. You ratchet the handle up or down, depending on if you want the seat to go up or down. Sure wish they'd have come up with that in the earlier Jeeps.

And, I'm wondering, with so many changes to the "JL", why Jake21 would not have that in the new JL lineup, hmmmm.

Scott

Oh wow. You could be right. I didnt realize it but maybe Jake was talking about a 2018 JL.

My LJ has factory seat height adjustments. As well as fore and aft of course.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Well,

Scott

My bad. I was talking about the LJ. I had an 04 LJ and a 2000 TJ. Seats were lower in the LJ.

Sorry for the confusion.
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Oh wow. You could be right. I didnt realize it but maybe Jake was talking about a 2018 JL.

My LJ has factory seat height adjustments. As well as fore and aft of course.
Quote:
My bad. I was talking about the LJ. I had an 04 LJ and a 2000 TJ. Seats were lower in the LJ.

Sorry for the confusion.
J
Ok, now that we got that cleared up. But, I'm still a bit perplexed here. As I stated way earlier, we've had three TJs but no LJs and, I've never even heard of factory seat height adjustments on any Wrangler, up 'till the Jks. Obviously, that doesn't mean they didn't/don't exist, it just means I've never seen or heard of them 'till now, in any Wrangler 'till the JKs were introduced.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #27

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxSurveyor View Post
Hey, I know that rock!! Always have to flex out on Tombstone @ Uwharrie!
Yup... That's URE...
Since buying our new (to us) RV, we won't be back there for some time, can't fit in Arrowhead Campground.
I keep pushing the guy who owns the Eldorado Outpost to build a campground on his property across the street. He told me it's in the cards.. I keep hoping they do it soon..
Maybe we will see you there one day...
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Ok, now that we got that cleared up. But, I'm still a bit perplexed here. As I stated way earlier, we've had three TJs but no LJs and, I've never even heard of factory seat height adjustments on any Wrangler, up 'till the Jks. Obviously, that doesn't mean they didn't/don't exist, it just means I've never seen or heard of them 'till now, in any Wrangler 'till the JKs were introduced.

Scott

Well you might be correct Scott. I just did a search and there is nothing listed about a factory seat height adjustment before the JK’s. Mine must be aftermarket. It looks factory but I guess its not.

I just bought this LJ literally a week ago. Ive owned off road only jeeps for the last decade. This is the first one that will remain relatively stock save for the small Rubicon Express lift that it currently has.

Im pretty excited to get it down to the motorhome and begin life with a toad.

Tags
advice