Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #43

I tow my jeep grand Cherokee with an Avail. Very pleased with the tow and rest peacefully with the surplus tow capacity.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlide View Post
Pulled great. I really have no complaints. We went up the Grapevine I-5) here in SoCal, and I was pretty happy. Not going to win any drag races, but it wasn't bad.
I am going to play with the sensitivity and pressure on the BrakeBuddy. Small increments at a time, but I think it could be further dialed in. It was our first trip with it last weekend.

Sounds good. Do you know what your LJ weighs?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by texoz View Post
I tow my jeep grand Cherokee with an Avail. Very pleased with the tow and rest peacefully with the surplus tow capacity.

Good to hear. The extra towing capacity cant hurt right? I mean the Avail Tow Bar was about 50lbs but thats not much more than their 6000lb tow bar.

I cant think of any reason why the Avail would be a bad choice.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Sounds good. Do you know what your LJ weighs?
No, I have to admit I haven't weighed it. Most spec sheets I've seen have it with a curb weight of 3600-3900 lbs. With the bumper, large tires (including spare) I would guess it to be around 4200 lbs. at the high end.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #47

FWIW - not all 2008 JK's come without the steering wheel lock. Ours is a 2008 JK Sahara and it does have the steering wheel lock, so had a dummy key made up to put in the accessory position for towing and keeping the steering wheel from locking on turns. Also, you may want to consider putting a blade switch on the battery, as the 08 needs to have the battery disconnected when towing. Other than that - perfectly happy with our JK.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
FWIW - not all 2008 JK's come without the steering wheel lock. Ours is a 2008 JK Sahara and it does have the steering wheel lock, so had a dummy key made up to put in the accessory position for towing and keeping the steering wheel from locking on turns. Also, you may want to consider putting a blade switch on the battery, as the 08 needs to have the battery disconnected when towing. Other than that - perfectly happy with our JK.
Or,
Simply disconnect the steering lock as many have done and then thereís no need for the battery disconnect.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
......2006 and earlier TJs for the fairly bullet-proof in-line six vs the 2007 and newer 3.8, V6-cylinder that has had some issues. Down side is the poor gas mileage for the in-line six.....Always liked manual trannies in my sports cars but automatic for everything else, unless you are into some serious off-roading/rock-crawling........
I have owned a 75 CJ5,79 CJ7, a 99 TJ, and a 06 LJ.

I still own the last 2. Those 2 have been my daily drivers since 05.
The 99 has 166K ,the 06 159K
I have put 80K on the 99 and 110K on the 06.
Both still have their orig clutches, starters, alts driveshaft u-joints.
Neither one has EVER needed a steering part. (Keep em greased and they don't wear)
Both in those years needed a full set of rotors, once each. (that is maintenance not repairs)
My 06 is starting to need some small things that I have let go.
The valve cover leaks to the tune of 1800 miles to a quart.
If everything goes according to plan, I'll be in the San Jauns mountains of Colorado, and Moab UT next month.
Both my jeeps know these trails well.

My 06 Jeep is probably the newest vehicle I will ever own again.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #50

I flat tow my 1990 YJ. It has the 5 speed manual and straight 6.

Never a problem, and tows like it is hardly there.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #51

I hope you die hard Jeep fanatics are around when I sell my 06 LJ in a couple years. Great for towing, reliability not so much. Replaced brakes with Black Magic pads, stock brakes were terrible. New AC condenser, new water pump, OPDA, front end repaired for Death Wobble, and most recently had to have all cat converters replaced for $850!. It only has 75000 miles. Oh, did I mention it gets terrible mileage?í
Wifeís 4Runner has 150K and needed brakes once. Too bad you canít flat tow it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I just got a 2007 JK...will it have same issue as 2008
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a 1990 "YJ" driver. We have pulled it for over 10 years. It weighs 3,070 lbs with full tank of gas. 5 speed, 4 cyl no a/c and rag top. I love it! Oh -with bike rack also...

Mike
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I'm a 1990 "YJ" driver. We have pulled it for over 10 years. It weighs 3,070 lbs with full tank of gas. 5 speed, 4 cyl no a/c and rag top. I love it! Oh -with bike rack also...

Mike
I'm with you. (Only have the 6 cyl)

I mostly tow it with no canvas or doors. (I am still just camping several times per year, not more)

By the way, my under dash air conditioner blows nice cold air. My heat works great. And Jeep (YJ) just goes and goes... after 28 years and 95000 miles...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #55

I would say the newer the better for reliability.

The 88wrangler with its 4.2l was by far the most troublesome Jeep I have owned.present 16 JKU has been trouble free.

There is such a huge aftermarket following for these that if you buy one and decide it’s not for you, easy to sell. Also with the huge aftermarket there is almost always OEM or better then OEM parts available.

The first few years of the JK with the 3.8L is way underpowered, especially with the auto box. Newer 3.6L is a nice step up in performance and fuel economy.

I think the hardest thing with getting a Jeep is finding a good one, good service history is a good idea.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #56

When looking at a new to you used Jeep the 3.6 JKU's are plentiful. Many of them have never been in 4wd or off road. They have become street cars! If you can find a very stock unit for the right price it should be good to go. They are light weight, easy to set up for towing, roomy, 4 doors, and have a huge after market supply base.

Most all older wranglers have been molested as far as modifications to make them off road worthy. Many times when comparing age and mileage the newer units are actually a better deal. The '04-'06 LJ Jeep is in demand. My $25,243.00 in October 2005 LJ Rubicon with 27,000 miles is probably worth close to my purchase price. I'd say it's worth between 19K-24K depending on the buyer. My brother bought a 2013 2 door Rubicon with 15K miles for much less. It was bone stock, probably never off road. Shop around.

Tags
advice