Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #71

I have a 2010 wrangler, hook up and go no key required
kalinina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinina View Post

Yes, but I think the early models did have a steering wheel lock. Maybe not.

The TJ's have a steering wheel lock that is fairly simple to defeat.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinina View Post
The 08 jk/JKU had the steering lock, I know this due to owning a 08 JKU x

Not really sure why they did this for only one year
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #74

My 01 wrangler locks my 15 wrangler does not
I have read on the wrangler forums that late in the 08 wrangler production run they did away with the steering wheel lock.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Questions:
1.Do you intend to use the vehicle for off road as well?

2. How many people will be traveling with you?

3. Do you intend to go automatic or stick?

4. And if you'll be driving the Jeep much how important is ride quality and fuel mileage?

BTW, good call on the '04-'06 models and the JK with the 3.6. The '05-'06 models have an issue with the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly) so you want to be aware of that and research what to look for.

I'd also look for a model with a hardtop. More lockable and more comfortable.
Well looks like my choices have changed,
I will be looking at 2012 and newer with 4 doors now.
I don't believe a 4 door was made from 04 to 06.

Yes I want it for off-road
Just me and hubby
I have no preference on manual or automatic
It will probably stay as my coach toad, when I am home 6-8 months out of the year I will probably go back to my CRV as my daily driver.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post

Just me and hubby
It will probably stay as my coach toad, when I am home 6-8 months out of the year I will probably go back to my CRV as my daily driver.
Great choice on the 4-door model. While it is just a tad heavier and a tad longer (duh), the capabilities for off road, in just about ANY set of conditions, is not hindered at all. Been there, done that with just about every model of Jeep Wrangler for almost 40 years. The 4-door has great storage behind the back seat if needed.

The '12s and above is a wise choice. I'd go for a '13 if it were me due to what I stated above. The '12 model year was the introduction of the 3.6L Pentastar V-6. A seriously much better engine than the '11 and below models. But, as usual, there was some glitches in that first gen of engine. And it didn't always show up in the year of 2012. The issues showed up for quite a while into the '13 model year. So, just something to think about.

As for no preference between a stick and an auto, well, again, been Jeeping for almost 40 years and have had both. Been driving now for 50 years and, have owned oh, maybe 30 stick shift vehicles including a few Jeeps. As I've gotten older, I will admit, I've gotten lazier too. Now, the term lazy is primarily applying to shifting a vehicle. I look at it as, WHY shift it when it will do it for you? Todays automatics are superior to even just a few years ago. The gas mileage is very, very close on each one of the same model. The power is for the most part, the exact same with an auto vs the stick, of the same model/engine etc. Again, why shift?

And, when goofing around off road and you want to go really slow and relax, the auto can't be beat. I'm not talking "rock crawling" here, just fun, slow, maybe a bit challenging trails and or roads. There's no legs getting tired of feathering clutches to ease your way over or around or through any type of challenging situation. The automatic is doing it all for you while you have fun and relax.

Then, there's the dredded traffic, stop and go situation every once in a while when ON ROAD. Yep, no shifting for us, EVER.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #77

I just got a automatic. After driving my old stick wrangler for 15 years drinking my morning coffee is much easier and enjoyable now
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #78

Quote:

Just me and hubby

The 4 door makes a great daily driver. My wife bought herself a new 2017 JKU Rubicon as a retirement gift to herself. I drive it quite a bit as well. I am a big boy at 6'5" and 300 lbs and I must say the '06 LJ is roomier with head space. I have the seats moved back 4" on the LJ and I moved the seats back on the JKU about 3" and lowered the drivers seat down 1"-1.5". The JK's drive like a car. Quite and comfortable. But they, especially the Rubicon models, are 100% a Jeep. You can go places in them you can't walk! The JKU will be our primary Toad (once I get the MH out of the shop! ) but I have both set to tow with a single Ready Brute hitch and separate brake cables.

Any and all if possible add-on's I am putting on the JKU are aluminum. It cost more, but the weight savings is huge. My front bumper from Rockhard weighs only 38 lbs compared to the steel version at almost 100 lbs.

Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

J ust
E mpty
E very
Pocket.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #79

Quote:

Just me and hubby
Great choice going with a 2012+!! As I stated earlier I had a 08 JKU X which was a manual, presently have a 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock which is a auto.... if I was buying again I would get a auto. Itís so much easier to live with and since I throw a snowplow on the front of my Jeep a auto makes life much easier with a plow. I also like being lazy and using my remote start when needed. Still have my Miata thatís a manual

ANY of the JKUís are extremely capable off-road. I wanted the heavier drivetrain that the Rubiconís offer and also wanted the heated seats. But any model will go much farther off-road then most will ever venture. When I was shopping I also wanted a 2012+ However they hold their value so well it cost my approx $1,500 to order my JKU RHR vs getting a 1-3yr old rubicon. They also have the new JLU which drives, rides and does everything just that much better. Depending on budget you might want to check it out
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice