Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Only those with actual experience please

We have been pulling a Toad (2018 Ford Explorer) with 2 E-Bikes behind our DP. Really not happy with the restrictions on speed, vehicle types that you can tow 4 down and how dirty and beat up our bikes and the Toad are getting.

We are seriously considering an enclosed car hauler trailer with enough room for bikes and other items that would that are not fitting well below the MH. Has anyone ever been to places where the trailer set up vs Toad would not work at all. I am not opposed to pay more for the larger campsites or extra parking fees for a trailer. Most of our stays will be for a week of more.

TIA for your experiences
Kcasey514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

One thing I know from experience, get the folding ebikes, then they both fit easily in the back of the toad vehicle. We also have a 1-up bike rack, but only use it when transporting the ebikes after we have arrived at the campsite.

The rad mini and rad mini step thru models from rad power bikes are great. We have over 500 miles on them in all kinds of paved and unpaved trails, and I would buy them again.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcasey514 View Post
Has anyone ever been to places where the trailer set up vs Toad would not work at all. I am not opposed to pay more for the larger campsites or extra parking fees for a trailer. Most of our stays will be for a week of more.

TIA for your experiences
Where we are currently and most places we have stayed you would pay the difference for a pull through site. Back in sites generally would not accommodate the trailer.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had an aluminium trailer that allowed me to load a jeep wrangler and two motorcycles. Worked well going to a fixed destination where we knew from experience we could either park the trailer and then park the motorhome or the site would accommodate our overall length. The problem was finding overnight stays in route.

Took from east coast to west twice but we grew tired of the complications. Can't tell you how many times I would call ahead to confirm they could accommodate our overall length and upon arrival there was no possible way. I drove 18 wheelers for 6 years and even with that experience I couldn't get into their site. Many nights in spite of planning we had to find a Walmart or truck stop.

If you elect to try this make certain you have plenty of sewer hose and extra power cord.
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Smile

We use a 20 ft car hauler for the smart car, DW's electric scooter mounted on a small trailer to hook behind car. Also keep a ladder, portable generator, trailer spare with a little room for any oddities. Don't have to worry about weather, dirt, road debris or random vandalism. Here in Tenn you can buy a permanent tag for a trailer for $119.00. My particular trailer is $32.00 yr for insurance. Occasionally you will find a campground that requires detaching and parking the trailer elsewhere. Having a trailer with an 'escape' door is the way to go. Opening this side door on the trailer lets you get into or out of your vehicle without that dreaded 'squeeze' or door damage. Plus you can now reverse your way out sometimes. However, you have to be very cautious in choosing where you now pull off the road or highway, because of the trailer jack. Any 'dip' or 'swag' will also get you stuck. You now have to evaluate the approach and departure of every fuel point, parking lot, etc. Ask me how I know! However, this setup does exactly what we needed. Yours may be different.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Where we are currently and most places we have stayed you would pay the difference for a pull through site. Back in sites generally would not accommodate the trailer.
Would be able to move trailer around with the vehicle we would be taking along with us so separating and parking trailer in extra parking area wouldn't be a big issue for us. Thanks again for input.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

We have towed a 26' enclosed trailer that allowed anything we wanted to take along. It had it's own 5.5 kw generator and roof AC plus tool cabinets in the front, so it weighed close to 6,000# EW and 12,000# loaded. Tongue weight was 800# empty, 1200# loaded, so no moving it with anything less than a 3/4 ton pickup. We traveled from WI to AZ by way of MN, ND, MT, ID, UT, and NV. Then back to WI via NM, OK, MO, and IL. Even a side trip into southern CA. AT 73' long had no problems finding parks to stay at. Our son does the same with his 76' rig. I'm guessing the east coast wouldn't be as accommodating, but we have no desire to go there.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Well we have a Wrangler unlimited as a flat tow. We have (2) Lectric XP folding bikes that are almost the same size as the Rad Mini and they fit almost perfectly in. 40GA plastic tote from Lowe’s or HD. They both fit in the back of the wrangler and arrive nice and clean every time. This setup works very well for us 👍
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Well we have a Wrangler unlimited as a flat tow. We have (2) Lectric XP folding bikes that are almost the same size as the Rad Mini and they fit almost perfectly in. 40GA plastic tote from Lowe’s or HD. They both fit in the back of the wrangler and arrive nice and clean every time. This setup works very well for us [emoji106]

Thanks for your response
Old 09-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We have towed a 26' enclosed trailer that allowed anything we wanted to take along. It had it's own 5.5 kw generator and roof AC plus tool cabinets in the front, so it weighed close to 6,000# EW and 12,000# loaded. Tongue weight was 800# empty, 1200# loaded, so no moving it with anything less than a 3/4 ton pickup. We traveled from WI to AZ by way of MN, ND, MT, ID, UT, and NV. Then back to WI via NM, OK, MO, and IL. Even a side trip into southern CA. AT 73' long had no problems finding parks to stay at. Our son does the same with his 76' rig. I'm guessing the east coast wouldn't be as accommodating, but we have no desire to go there.

Thanks for your response

Tags
hose