Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Open or Enclosed Car Hauler ????

Hello all. I know most folks will say get a car to tow 4 down. But right now that is not an option. So the car I have can only be trailered. It can't even be towed with a dolly. So I have looked, searched, read, and pondered on whether I should go with an open or enclosed car hauler. An open trailer is lighter, allows better rear visibility, and is cheaper. An enclosed trailer allows for extra storage, keeps the car cleaner, but is heavier and costs almost double of an open one. It also blocks a lot of your view from your rear view camera. So can you all that actually trailer your vehicles and weigh in with your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #2

Just to add to the negatives of an enclosed trailer; because I've helped friends load out in both .

4X , quicker to tie down the vehicle on a flat deck .
Depending on your car, ( trailer interior width) and mobility , just exiting the drivers seat once it's inside can be a challenge , most cars , it's crawl out the window or hatchback .
Old 08-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grape View Post
So can you all that actually trailer your vehicles and weigh in with your thoughts?
Years ago, my hobby was restoring Classic Cars. At one time, I had a 1959 Austin Healey, a 1966 Mustang Fastback, and a 1966 Shelby Hertz.

We were continually wanting to trailer one of these cars to a car show somewhere in the US.

I bought an open 7,000# capacity car haul trailer.

That is my daughter's 1966 Mustang coupe in the background.

I did not like the "openness" of it and not wanting to have a car vandalized, I enclosed it myself.

Over the next 10 years, we towed it from Dallas to both coasts several times and eventually, because we had more cars than garage and driveway space, one of the cars lived in it at the RV storage lot.

With the enclosed trailer, I had a small access door in the front wall and used a single front tie down point in the center of each vehicle.

In the rear, I had a single tie down point and used a gear chain tightener to pull the load down tight.

Personally, I would NEVER consider an open trailer again.

Tim

PS: Here is my 1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #4

How are you going to use it. If traveling a long distance and then unloading it to stay at the same place for an extended period, the enclosed trailer would be my option. That's what I used to do. It was a 26' enclosed Aluminum with 5.5kw generator and AC on the roof. I carried my offroad jeep along with shop tools, compressor, spare parts, and anything that wouldn't fit in the MH. I no longer have a need to haul the jeep etc on 2,000 mile trips, and now have just a 20' open trailer. My son still travels 2,000 miles one way in the fall and carries a Scion car and his rock crawler with all his tools in an enclosed trailer. A large drivers side door makes for easy loading. Both methods have their place and benefits. What are your needs/wants?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Years ago, my hobby was restoring Classic Cars. At one time, I had a 1959 Austin Healey, a 1966 Mustang Fastback, and a 1966 Shelby Hertz.

We were continually wanting to trailer one of these cars to a car show somewhere in the US.

I bought an open 7,000# capacity car haul trailer.

That is my daughter's 1966 Mustang coupe in the background.

I did not like the "openness" of it and not wanting to have a car vandalized, I enclosed it myself.

Over the next 10 years, we towed it from Dallas to both coasts and eventually, because we had more cars than garage and driveway space, one of the cars lived in it at the RV storage lot.

Personally, I would NEVER consider an open trailer again.

Tim

PS: Here is my 1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Got a pic of the Hertz? (Yeah I know - need a Mulligan for OT....)

But in my defense, I would probably go with an open aluminum trailer just for weight savings and ease of use and not worry about the downsides....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Got a pic of the Hertz?
Yeah, I do, but only a couple. I had it a short time because after a bit of "sprucing up", I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it.

I'll see if I can find the pic.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

To a certain extent it depends on how much you like the car. Pulling behind a motorhome will kick up a certain amount of road debris which may hit the car. I don't know what your plans are but you should probably call Bill at Superior Drive Line or Remco and see what they have to say. They make drive line disconnects and auxiliary pumps for transmissions that may allow you to tow your current vehicle 4 wheels down for a lot less money and hassle than a trailer. Just some stuff to think about.
Here's a link https://www.remcodsc.com/
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #8

I have an enclosed trailer and a toad. For towing the race car, we take the enclosed. For family trips we take the toad. The trailer is a PITA to deal with and avoided whenever we can. If you must have a trailer and you don’t want to take stuff in the trailer, an aluminium open with a gravel guard is the best compromise IMO. Buy a good brand like Featherlite and you’ll enjoy using it and get better resale.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Yeah, I do, but only a couple. I had it a short time because after a bit of "sprucing up", I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it.

I'll see if I can find the pic.

Tim
I did the same with 69 Mach 1 428CJ.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #10

We use Trailex bolted aluminum trailer. I use a car cover when parked overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9821EAB-B7CE-40EB-BFAB-C7204C75866B.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	297653