Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

PatriotII braking system

I have a new PatriotII system to tow my 2017 Ford C-Max Energi. I’m on the road now and the system seems to turn off after we get rolling. I can’t determine if the braking system is turning off or the C-Max power plug is turning off. Once I stop to go look I can turn it back on but it turns off again shortly after we get going again. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

Check the 12v plug in. If it has an ignition key symbol then it shuts off like a dome light. Look for one that has a battery symbol. This one will be live all the time. Ours is located in the glove box between the seats.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Specifically what is shutting off. If the brake system itself shuts off the little console still will show error. You are most likely plugging into a lighter port that isn't hot when the car is not turned on.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #4

I use an external lithium jumper battery. (NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump ).Also can be powered in the harness from your motorhome. My newer cars do not support a hot lighter for any length of time.
Cc2811walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

There is no symbols on the outlets. I contacted my dealer by email 3 days ago and asked them if the outlets go off if the engine isn’t running and if so could I just turn the car and run it on auxiliary while towing. No response yet. I called a local Ford dealer in New Brunswick but they said they did not know.
I don’t think it is the braking system.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I found my Hundai ACC automatically shuts down after an hour. I just went to autozone and bought the few parts needed to install an always-on outlet. Now I dont have to bother turn the ACC on. Love my Patriot2. And Blue Ox is a great company.
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

Plug in a USB charger or something else with a light and then close the car up as if towing. Watch the light from the outside and if it turns off, you have your answer. I had to run a direct connect plug for my brakes, but I also have to disconnect the battery. On some cars, you can move the outlet fuse location so that it stays on full time rather than when the key is on. My guess would be it is turning off in 10 minutes, which is the timeout for all the accessories including the radio. If you have more than one outlet, try them too.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote