Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Plugged in Toad, but no signals

I just got my 2017 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903 home and went to hook the toad and none of the lights in the toad work. No turn signals, brakes or running lights. I installed the factory towing wiring in the jeep a while ago, but this is the first time attaching to a tow vehicle.

I first tried with the key in the MH in the run postion and then started the MH and it still didn't work. Key off didn't work either. Everything in the MH functions properly as well as in the jeep.

Who else has the factory towing harness in their Wrangler and if so, has it always worked? Have I forgotten something, or is there something wrong with the wiring in the MH connector. Haven't had time to use the pin out and a VOM to check yet. Does there need to be a 12v pin at the connector to power the jeep chassis lights and if so, which one should it be?

Thanks for the help.
Threesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesticks View Post
Have I forgotten something...
Since NOTHING works, I'd start by making sure you have good grounds and a good ground path between vehicles.

If you have a jumper cable, clip one end to the RV and the other end (same color) to the car.

If it still doesn't work, I'd start checking RV fuses. Not ALL manufacturers fully populate the box with trailer fuses. Some expect you to pay for those.

Just keep in mind that total failures are MUCH easier to troubleshoot than intermittents.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the two occasions that the lights on my JK didn't work one was the knife connector on the diode came disconnected at the tail light and the second time the cable the came with the tow bar apparently got stretched and the wires broke. I borrowed one from a friend to test it and then ordered a new one. I installed my own wiring for the tail lights and used the Roadmaster Kit with diodes. Works fine after replacing the cable from the MH to JK.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I am using the Chrysler factory harness. I had to remove the glove box and some of the trim. It requires you to disconnect a few large connectors behind the foot well trim and install the harness as a bridge between them and then drilling a hole thru the firewall and routing the harness forward and to the grill. It also comes with a 6' umbilical that has a rectangular connector on one end and the round seven pin connector on the other end.
It has the diodes built into the harness and I am guessing that it needs sone 12v to power the jeep lights and it might be too musch of a draw on the MH harness.
Threesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Steve-

You are correct. The place to start is at the coach's hitch connector. Check for ground continuity first, then look for parking lights, then turn signals (turn on the hazard switch for that), and finally, brake lights. When those all check out, turn the coach on and look for the 12V charge line (some additional work may be required to get the charge line working).

After checking at the coach's hitch connector, attach the umbilical cable and run the same tests at the end of the umbilical.

Once you've confirmed everything is OK to that point, any problems left are in the toad wiring.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
I just got my 2017 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903 home and went to hook the toad and none of the lights in the toad work. No turn signals, brakes or running lights. I installed the factory towing wiring in the jeep a while ago, but this is the first time attaching to a tow vehicle.

I first tried with the key in the MH in the run postion and then started the MH and it still didn't work. Key off didn't work either. Everything in the MH functions properly as well as in the jeep.

Who else has the factory towing harness in their Wrangler and if so, has it always worked? Have I forgotten something, or is there something wrong with the wiring in the MH connector. Haven't had time to use the pin out and a VOM to check yet. Does there need to be a 12v pin at the connector to power the jeep chassis lights and if so, which one should it be?

Thanks for the help.
If your MH is built on a Ford F53 chassis there is a fuse that controls most of the circuits that go thru the electrical connector at the rear of the coach. In our 2015 the fuse is located in the panel left of the steering column close to the outside wall, usually hard to get to. When we lost all our lights on the toad that was problem. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #7

You are correct. The place to start is at the coach's hitch connector.

As usual, Mark is right on with his recommendation. Starting right there, at the seven pin connector is the EXACT place to start. That way, you know, RIGHT NOW, if it's the coach, or beyond. I wouldn't worry about the harness 'till the coach 7 pin trailer connector checks out fine. Even then, if I found the trailer connector was all good, I'd still plug in the umbilical and, check the other end. That way, you've done a logical process of elimination. Normally It would be EXTREMELY rare and or ODD, that all the pins in the trailer connector would be dead, all at one time. Let us know what you find out.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Does there need to be a 12v pin at the connector to power the jeep chassis lights and if so, which one should it be?
Yes, the Mopar harness requires a 12v constant supply to work. I think the 12v has to be on Pin #4, but I'm not absolutely positive. Not all chassis wiring harnesses have the constant 12v pinout, so you may have to run another line, I did on my Itasca. A keyed hot wire is the best so it's not hot all the time, only when the key in the MH is on. The Mopar harness uses three small relays to power the lights on the Jeep from this 12v power supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7wayconnector.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	181487  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Threesticks-

To follow up on "Lt Dan's" post:

As I said in post #5, "some additional work may be required to get the charge line working."

Previous threads indicate that Newmar ships the Bay Star and Canyon Star models without a connected 12V charge line. Instead, they provide two "spare" wires, the "orange" and "black" wires. At the coach hitch end, these wires are taped to the hitch connector wiring, usually about a foot or less from the connector. At the other end, you should find the two wires under the dash, I believe on the left side of the steering column.

Details on how to find and connect the wires to serve as a charge line are here:

What and Where are extra wires from rear
Two Electrical questions 2016 Canyon Star--- Toad & Solar

If you use the black "spare" as the charge line, you'll be wiring consistently with "Lt Dan's" diagram.

As a general note, Ford does not provide a 12V charge line on the F-53 chassis. They leave that up to the "coach builder." As far as I know, Ford does provide a 12V charge line on the E-series chassis used under Class C coaches.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad