Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power for Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Toad

We made the move to 4 down towing with the acquisition of a gently used 2017 Trailhawk. I'm in the process of getting the Flat Tow Cable added and installing baseplates, etc. for towing.

I'm going with an RViBrake 3 brake system and will have the battery charger installed to power both the RViBrake and the Cherokee steering system. The question I have is whether I have to beef up the 12V supply wiring from my ACE 30.1 to power the battery charger.

Does anyone know how much power the coach can deliver with Ford standard wiring to the 7 pin connector. Will I need to replace the wire with something more substantial with a higher capacity fuse?
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that it is 20 amps. Most 7 way connectors have #10 for the battery and ground.

Why add anything else. Hook the battery line up to the battery of the TOAD through a 20 amp auto reset breaker.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

This thread has some references you may find useful.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

DenverTransplant-

Ford does not provide a charge line on the F-53 chassis. The coach builder, if he chooses, provides the charge line. You should ask Thor about charge line wiring and fusing.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We made the move to 4 down towing with the acquisition of a gently used 2017 Trailhawk. I'm in the process of getting the Flat Tow Cable added and installing baseplates, etc. for towing.

I'm going with an RViBrake 3 brake system and will have the battery charger installed to power both the RViBrake and the Cherokee steering system. The question I have is whether I have to beef up the 12V supply wiring from my ACE 30.1 to power the battery charger.

Does anyone know how much power the coach can deliver with Ford standard wiring to the 7 pin connector. Will I need to replace the wire with something more substantial with a higher capacity fuse?

Towing 2016 Cherokee behind Winnebago View use Blue Ox and RVI 3 braking system. Using coach power for steering, RVI and toad lights. No real issues except for the procedure in Jeep manual on re-engaging transfer case. There is an aftermarket button installed that must be left on to power Jeep brakes and transfer case. Follow instructions and should be good.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Just discovered my Cherokee Trailhawk leaks water from somewhere. Discovered driver’s side floor carpet soaked along with rear carpet. Many reports of leaking Jeeps on Jeepgarage.org. Biggest concern is add on’s for toad may short out or something else. Appointment tomorrow with dealer to trace leak and hopefully fix.

I’ll post later on what was discovered and fix.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff24g View Post
Towing 2016 Cherokee behind Winnebago View use Blue Ox and RVI 3 braking system. Using coach power for steering, RVI and toad lights. No real issues except for the procedure in Jeep manual on re-engaging transfer case. There is an aftermarket button installed that must be left on to power Jeep brakes and transfer case. Follow instructions and should be good.
I'm just looking into rv options for the future and am curious, I have a 17 Cherokee TrailHawk. Understand the power for braking system but, what steering are you talking about? The transfer case should be in neutral, right?
Real questions are why do you need power for steering and transfer case?

Thanks
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #8

Boyd’s to stop a death wobble problem. You should also put in a battery charge line. Yes transfer in netural.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #9

There is a Jeep accessory that needs installed to power the steering. We also must install a 20 amp fuse in an inline location. That is to power the steering preventing the wobble.

Then we install an RVI 3 brake and plug it into a 12 volt plug that was installed to power the breaks.

The transfer case must be in neutral too. You must follow the steps in the owner’s manual to disengage/engage the transfer case.

We also carry an auto code reader to clear out codes because sometime the computer has false positive codes. I know they are false positives because they don’t come back.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff24g View Post
There is a Jeep accessory that needs installed to power the steering. We also must install a 20 amp fuse in an inline location. That is to power the steering preventing the wobble.

Then we install an RVI 3 brake and plug it into a 12 volt plug that was installed to power the breaks.

The transfer case must be in neutral too. You must follow the steps in the owner’s manual to disengage/engage the transfer case.

We also carry an auto code reader to clear out codes because sometime the computer has false positive codes. I know they are false positives because they don’t come back.
The Jeep Flat Tow Kit consists of a wire harness that routes power to the electric power steering while you are towing so the steering remains stable. The harness has a 10 amp fuse in-line that you install when towing and remove to drive normally. There is also a toggle switch that is installed in the console and connected to the car’s CAN buss to tell the computer to ignore that the power steering is powered with the car off. You are supposed to flip the switch and then install the fuse. When you are disconnecting, remove the fuse and then flip the switch. If you do it in the wrong order you will get a check engine light with a Power Steering code. This code clears after a couple of engine starts.

Because the electric power steering is powered during towing, its using power so you need to keep the Jeep’s battery charged while towing. We have the RVi charger module ($50) installed to keep the battery charged.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. Seems there shoudl have been a way for them to add another switch instead of removing and installing a fuse every time.
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #12

There is a switch you can buy and it replaces the fuse.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #13

Better yet install a fused 12v relay in place of the fuse and have it energize when the umbilical from the RV is plugged into the TOAD. Many of us have done this. There are some good How-To posts in this forum.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Seems there shoudl have been a way for them to add another switch instead of removing and installing a fuse every time.
I installed my own switch. You intercept the wire between the battery and the fuse and route the circuit through the grommet that is behind the brake pedal to the switch. The only place I found to put it was under the dash near the OBDC port. Could hav Erin it to the console, but that looked like a much bigger job. It was tough enough getting the wiring to the grommet, but I got lucky and could follow the RVi breakaway cable.

Tags
power, toad