Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Powering Toad Braking System from RV

This is my first attempt to post a question - so hopefully this is going to the right place...

I tow a mini countryman behind our Tiffin RV and have a Patriot Braking system that is currently powered using the Toad's battery. Since the mini doesn't have a steering lock, there is no need to have the ignition in some aux position - so there is no other draw on the mini's battery than the Brake System. After an 8 hour day on the road, the mini's battery is usually dead.

I would like to power the brake system directly from the RV (I believe that there is a +12V pin on the RV connector) but most articles that I've read suggest using this to "charge" the toads battery. I would prefer to simply use the RV to power the brake system (by running a +12V feed into the foot-well where the brake system sits).

Assuming I use a large enough gauge wire (14 gauge?) - will this work? Should I also run the ground from the RV connector since the RV and car are not the same ground?

Thanks for any advice ... Mark.
mvandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandy View Post
This is my first attempt to post a question - so hopefully this is going to the right place...

I tow a mini countryman behind our Tiffin RV and have a Patriot Braking system that is currently powered using the Toad's battery. Since the mini doesn't have a steering lock, there is no need to have the ignition in some aux position - so there is no other draw on the mini's battery than the Brake System. After an 8 hour day on the road, the mini's battery is usually dead.

I would like to power the brake system directly from the RV (I believe that there is a +12V pin on the RV connector) but most articles that I've read suggest using this to "charge" the toads battery. I would prefer to simply use the RV to power the brake system (by running a +12V feed into the foot-well where the brake system sits).

Assuming I use a large enough gauge wire (14 gauge?) - will this work? Should I also run the ground from the RV connector since the RV and car are not the same ground?

Thanks for any advice ... Mark.
Should work, but why not just run a #12 wire with 20A fuse to positive side of battery and leave everything else as is. It’s the center conductor on a six pin connector and I’ve done it for several years.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Community Moderator

The reason you don’t want to power the brake solely from the motorhome is if the toad breaks away due to a tow bar or other failure. Powered by the car battery the breaking system can still bring the car to a stop even when the umbilical cord is severed
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

I’d run a charge line as well. We have a stay and play braking system installed and uses power brakes as well.

Installer ran a charging unit to the Toad so the coach keeps it charged up while traveling.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The reason you don’t want to power the brake solely from the motorhome is if the toad breaks away due to a tow bar or other failure. Powered by the car battery the breaking system can still bring the car to a stop even when the umbilical cord is severed
THIS^^ is why you power the toad brake system from the toad itself. Period.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
THIS^^ is why you power the toad brake system from the toad itself. Period.
^^^ Absolutely!!
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #7

I have done it this way.

The charge line is hooked directly to the 12V for the tow brake from the RV and the battery has to be disconnected in my Chev Colorado. The PATRIOT has an onboard battery that remains charged through the 12V connection so if the connection is lost it will still work to stop the Toad. I usually charge the Brake before any trip. (It states that in the manual) I bought the Roadmaster 12V charge line kit and had it installed with the base plate, etc when I got the new truck this April.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox Patriot braking unit. I run a separate 12dvc line and install a 12dvc plug for the brake unit from the toad battery. Place the ignition switch as per the manual and away we go.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I use this
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...a-451734501777
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #10

The draw from the Patriot is very minimal. If the battery in your toad is up to par, it should last all day and then some.
A normal Fused Charge Line from the coach to the Toad Battery will do the trick.
How old is the battery in your toad?
Before trying to reinvent the wheel, I suggest getting the toad battery load tested. Maybe you just need a new battery to solve your problem.

Tags
power, toad