Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Preferred tow connection for Toad??

We need to add our jeep wrangler to our travels. We have only made 1 trip thus far and I didn't want to tow on our maiden voyage ! 40' DP Tiffin. Is the Blue Ox the best option? Are there more components needed to complete the job than what comes with the package? Is there a better/easier device I should consider? TIA
RAD.Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 AM   #2

We used Blue Ox for the 13 years we were on the road. We preferred Blue Ox because the base plate attachment on the Grand Cherokee and Equinoxes we pulled were the least offensive when not in use.

You will need to provide taillights connections. Over time, we used wiring harnesses with extra bubs, wiring harnesses with diodes, and magnetic roof top lights. Each has pluses and minuses depending on the toad.

And you will need an auxiliary brake unit. One to assist braking because at 4-5000 lbs., the toad is quite a load for the motorhome's brakes that are designed to stop the motorhome only. But legally and morally, you need an auxiliary brake unit for the toad should it every break-away from the motorhome so it will stop and not just roll into people.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:21 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We use Blue Ox on our Phaeton. For brakes, we use the Air Force 1. It is designed for DPs and works well. It is also permanently mounted so there is no unit to mount to store with each use.

When fully connected we have the tow bars, 2 safety cables, 7-6 pin connector, air hose, and breakaway cable running between the rig and toad.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #4

Instead of a traditional baseplate, for a Wrangler you can use tow loops...

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-acce...ps&results=5#/
Old 05-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #5

You will need a tow bar, a base plate (or possibly an aftermarket front bumper with towing attachments), a braking system, tail light wiring and possibly a chargeline to maintain the battery in the Jeep.

Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco all make these products, and for the most part offer adapters that will let you tow any of their base plates with any of these tow bars. I have a Blue Ox Tow bar for our Jeep Cherokee, a Roadmaster Even Brake braking system, and a Demco Tow bar. In my personal opinion on average I would rate them with Blue Ox being the lowest, Roadmaster being in the middle, and Demco being at the top. Partly this is based on reported failures of their products, partly on my customer service experience, and reports of others customer service experience.

p.s. you ask about better / easier, this is hard to answer, for me with the Cherokee doing a DIY install I picked the Blue Ox base plate over the Roadmaster as the Blue Ox did not require drilling where the Roadmaster did (might be different for the Wrangler, could be the other way around). For braking systems I found a deal on the Even Brake 9400, and like its features for a drop in brake system, though if money were not an concern I would probably have bought the RVI III. I wanted a drop in braking system to potentially make it easier to move from car to car, though there is a lot to be said a about the Demco Stay in Play, and the Demco Air Force One if you have a diesel pusher with air brakes in it comes to more integrated braking system options.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are many good quality tow bars and manufacturers to choose from and each have their own following.

I have been RV'ing for 25+ years now (180k plus miles) and for the past 20 of those years I've been using Roadmaster. My first Jeep I built the towbar setup for it and used U.S. Gear's Unified Brake System. After a few years and with a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee I purchased a Roadmaster Stowmaster and only used that for about 4 or 5 years before switching to a Sterling. I used the Sterling for about 10-12 years until selling it and switching over to the Roadmaster Nighthawk about 4 years ago.

As for braking there are also a lot of options such as the box style braking systems or the integrated systems. I prefer a permanently installed integrated braking systems for an invisible setup. I used the U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake system for a long time and moved it to several different Jeeps before selling it and going with the Air Force One system.

As for lights, I also prefer the invisible look by using permanently installed wiring harness so they use the OEM tail lights and not the magnetic or temporary mounted lights. I like the clean look of merely pulling up behind the coach and connecting without a lot of crap hanging off of my Jeep.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you buy you might want to do a google search for "Blue Ox Tow Bar failures" and other manufactures also. There seems to be a trend you might want to pay attention to.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Before you buy you might want to do a google search for "Blue Ox Tow Bar failures" and other manufactures also. There seems to be a trend you might want to pay attention to.
True from what I've been seeing over the years. I've used nothing but Roadmaster for years. What's nice is their factory is 10 miles from home but I can buy cheaper from online sources.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use a Roadmaster set up. When we were looking to move from Dolly to 4 down towing I researched dealers in my area that could do the soup to nuts install. I travel for business and did not have the time nor inclination to do the install on my truck.

We purchased a Colorado specifically to be our toad, and made sure we understood the limitations and requirements to set up this truck.

All in, we spent almost $5k for parts and full install. Labor was a good bit of that bill. If you have the time, skill, and motivation you can do yourself, otherwise get informed on what you will need to spend to get set up like you want to be.

Good luck, cheers
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #10

Blue OX - easy instructions to follow and install the base plate - The hidden tow connectors are nice - the tow bar does well - in my 140,000 miles I have not had an issue, replaced a 15 YO unit last year just because it felt a little loose.

IMHO this is a Ford Chevy issue - if you abuse the unit and don't service it all of them will fail - I've had great luck and had a Roadmaster some twenty years ago - it did fine too - just like the Blue Ox better.

Doubt you can make a wrong decision as they all have their plusses.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What year is your Wrangler? It makes a difference.
I have towed three: 2004, 2016, and now a 2020. All three have used different tow attachments.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #12

I used a Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Avail tow bar, Hopkins wiring, and the M&G Engineering brake system. My Itasca Horizon also had air brakes and I tapped off a manifold in the rear of the coach for the air supply to the toad braking. Very satisfied with that setup. When connecting I hooked up the tow bars, 7 pole electrical plug, quick disconnect air line for the brakes, and an emergency breakaway cable. No box to lug around and put in front of the seat.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow