Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pressure Switch for Remco Lube Pump?

Does anyone know a 'standard' part number for the Remco Lube Pump Pressure Switch?

The switch in my Remco Lube Pump kit (for an '06 Dodge Grand Caravan) leaks badly, and I need to replace it. Can't find a part number anywhere on it or in the Remco literature (except for their 40010011), and the auto-parts places I asked can't find a cross-reference. I'm sure it's a standard switch made by the zillions for cars, just gotta know which one.

Right now, I have a plug inserted, but that means I have no way of knowing if the pump is working or I gotta run the engine while driving to keep the fluid moving.

We're on the road and have a schedule to meet. Naturally, things like this never fail when convenient (or on a weekday).

Help?

I evidently don't know how to do a valid SEARCH function. Tried to search for my issue, and got what seems like just about everything else under the sun. So I'm trying it this way.....
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

I'm going to tag along to collect the number , in case I ever need it.
I'll have a look at mine , when I finish my breakfast, just in case I can figure an automotive application.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Is there anyway you could post a picture of the switch, someone may be able to recognize a replacement. It should be something like a simple off/on oil pressure switch.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Is there anyway you could post a picture of the switch, someone may be able to recognize a replacement. It should be something like a simple off/on oil pressure switch.
From the sounds of Rusty's post he may be on the road, I'm fairly sure mine will be the same , so I'll dig out my camera.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the delay, guys. Had to find a place to stop with usable wifi.

Here's a couple pics of the sensor. You should be able to see the tab with "C" stamped next to it, and another tab with "NO" stamp. There's also a "NC" stamping (on the other side, and hidden in the pics)but no tab for it.

I wonder if they have different pressure ratings as to when they are supposed to open/close? Probably not, since there's no number to describe which one would be which in the field.

I'm sure I can call the mfgr next week, but then I'll have to wait-out shipping time for them to send one.

Any help is appreciated in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	101163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	101164  

Old 07-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Take it to your nearest auto parts store and have them match it up to something that will work.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Would that I could. Being on the road in out-of-the-way places, and with a travel deadline, makes it kinda tough to go into a parts-place and spend an hour or so (like I did earlier this week) with a salesperson going: "Nope, that's not it. Not that one, either..."
Was hoping someone knows specifically what it is.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #8

Rusty, the problem is the two wire hook up , any automotive that I can remember , have only one ; because they ground out through the engine ; because the switch in the Remco system is mounted in the flex lines to the trans cooler , it must be grounded though the second wire for the alarm to operate. I'll have a look at my installation instructions and see if I can figure a work around.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, that was my conclusion too , Skip426. I'd need to ground to that junction-block to make work with all of the sensors I could find, and don't see a real good way to do it.
Just hoping I can get ahold of Remco first thing Monday and they can point me towards a local-sourced switch (with 2 leads). I got to know the folks at the local Advance-Auto house real good today, they even let me go back in the stacks and open all the boxes . No joy, tho. Advance-Auto said that if I could get them the number, they can get me the switch the next day. Hopefully that will happen.

Now on to my favorite rant... why do the mfgrs come up with so many different ways to do the same $#@^& thing???? You need a pressure switch? 10mm thread? ok, design one! 9mm thread? Wait, re-bore the hole to 10mm because THEY ALREADY GOT ONE!! And so on. Sheesh!
Just like clothes... make small, medium and large. Cadillac? Large alternator. Chevette? Small alternator. Not 27 different ones, depending on exterior color or CD/Sirius radio. An alternator is an alternator, big medium or little. Same with a dumb oil pressure switch, dang it!

Ok, no more coffee til I get this solved.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #10

Every engineer , has to re-invent the wheel , or they figure they wouldn't have a job.
Happened every 5 years like clock work when I worked at Chrysler, new batch of engineers come in and throw out everything that works just fine and design there own ...., then spend the next 4 years straightening out there mistakes.
Good luck with your search and if you do manage a cross reference , please post it.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good news/Bad news...

The switch is a NAPA (Balkamp) BK 7011575 , but it's out of stock at my nearest store . Cost is under $30. Remco has 'em for $49 plus shipping.

The NAPA version has to have the sense-pressure turned down to 3psi, which means ya gotta take an Allen wrench and turn the little screw CCW about 1/2 turn. The Remco one comes already set to 3psi.

Hope this helps someone else next time.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just wanted to give a great big to the Remco folks.

As noted above, couldn't find the switch locally (NAPA said they could: "...probably get it here in a few days or so, maybe, if they could find one somewhere...") so I went with Remco directly. Only to find out later in the day (Monday) that they didn't have any spares on the shelf - but would pull one off an already-assembled system and send it to me asap . And it got here yesterday (Thursday)

Not that I was kinda hoping I'd have to be 'stranded' here in the beautiful Florida Keys for the next ... oh, maybe 3-4 weeks ... but I do have a commitment and needed to get back on the road.

Anyways, I just wanted to close the loop, and acknowledge the Remco people for going that extra mile.

Thanks Remco!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
FWI the lettering NO means Normally Open and NC means Normally Closed. Depending on which wire spade is used as to if the switch is NO or NC use.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote