Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Price for RVibrake2?

What should I pay for the RVibrake2? The online price is $1,050.00, but I have seen some earlier posts where it was less that $1K. Any help out there?
Lambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Think I saw one for sale on the classifieds of this forum. Other than something like that we never found dealers selling them for anything less than the common dealer price when we were looking. Bought ours a couple of years back. If you say it is now $1,050 then that's probably what you'll end up paying for a brand new one from a dealer.......and IMHO it is a product that is worth the price. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 AM   #3

Unless you find a used one for sale, that is the price for a new one through the manufacturer, RVI.
Just bite the bullet and get it. Best one out there. Small, and once the inital set up is done, takes less than a minute it rig it for towing.
Customer service is also outstanding.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Manufacturer matched online price when I bought mine last fall. FWIW, running the breakaway switch wire from the baseplate to the driver seat area was tedious: ended up drilling a hole under the seat. There didn't seem to be any easy way to get a wire up to the firewall and penetrate it.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I did make an offer on a used one in the classified section of this forum. I offered $600 and he countered with $675. I probably will take it if he pays the shipping.

I do have one concern. To flat tow my 2014 Acadia I have to pull the 50 amp BATT1 fuse. How will I get power to the RVibrake2? Anyone know if pulling the 50 amp BATT1 fuse interrupts the power to the 12 volt power outlet where I would plug in the RVibrake2?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #6

Go to the RVI web site. They offer a 12 volt direct plug with wiring for a supply set up. Basically it's a 12 volt aux type socket that you mount inside the vehicle and wire's directly to the battery to supply power. Good set up, better than a regular aux socket in most cars as the wire is a heavier guage and socket is a heavy duty quality piace. Got one for my Subi, about 20 bucks I believe.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Lambob, suggest you run a test. Pull the BATT1 fuse in your car and then plug something into your outlet.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Lambob....we put a switch on the fuse that needs to be pulled on our Terrain. A lot easier than getting to the fuse panel every time. Also, while the 12v power socket near your dash may have power initially, we have four sockets in the terrain (factory sockets) and three of them turn off after about 10 or 15 minutes. The only one that stays powered up is the one way back in the rear of the vehicle (in the storage area behind the back seat. So we bought a heavy duty 12v extension on Amazon. Works great. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the advice! I am going to play around with my 50amp fuse tomorrow and see what happens. After I get some consistency with my towing routine I will order the fuse switch and install it. I will let you know what happens.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

I have finally gotten my 2014 Acadia back from Camping World for the install of my tow plate. CW also installed signal and brake lights using diodes. That was their recommendation. I also requested that they install a trickle charger for my battery but I only had a four prong lead from my MH and they were going to have to run a lead to my MH batteries. They told me I wouldn't need it if I pulled the three fuses and it would be cheaper to install fuse switches.

Be that as it may, since I have gotten it back I have tested the following:

1. I pulled the BATT1 fuse, ECM fuse and OnStar fuse. The plug for my RVibrake2 was hot so pulling the BATT1 fuse did not disable the power for my auxiliary braking system.

2. I switched the ignition from OFF to ACC. Several lights came on and there was some whirling noises.

3. I then turned the key one click counter-clockwise toward Off but still in ACC. All of the lights went off and the whirling noises stopped. The headlights did come on but that was the only apparent electrical being engaged.

4. I pressed on the brake and switched the transmission from Park to Neutral. I was able to barely turn the wheels from right to left (power steering resistance).

5. I then left the Acadia in this mode for about two hours. After about the first 5 minutes the headlights went off and did not come back on.

6. After two hours I stepped on the brake, placed the transmission in Park and turned the ignition to OFF.

7. I then reinstalled the BATT1 fuse, ECM fuse and OnStar fuse. I then started the Acadia.

8. The check engine light did come on, however, it turned itself off after starting the car a few times and waiting about an hour. I also had to reset the date and time but everything else appears to have retained their previous settings.

I am leaving on a trip to Florida in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure there are no surprises on the way down. I will probably plan a short trip with my toad next weekend to make sure the signal lights are working and the auxiliary brake works.

For those of you who have been towing with a late model Acadia, am I missing anything? I am taking along a set of jumper cables just in case the GM recommendation in my 2014 Owners Manual for not draining your battery while towing is bogus! Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Read the post on invisibrake. There are lots of posts about all the electrical issues. I posted several. And camping world put mine on also. After 18 months of not working properly and messing up my Honda CRV I yelled enough that they took it off and gave me my money back. I actually had bought an extended warranty on it because this was my second company who installed it and it wouldn't work. Lost money on the first install. Beware.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

I chose to go with the RV1brake because I probably will go with a different tow vehicle in a couple of years and it is moveable. Also, I bought it used for about half the regular price. The RV1brake is supposed to be in tomorrow and hopefully I won't have any problems with it. I will let everyone know.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
WDW

So do you need all of the diode modifications with this RVI2 brake?

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
This adapter easy fix to charge your toad battery! Fuse a line at the battery, two pole plug to 12 volt plug at this adapter! ....Bully TC-182 12V Trailer Adapter At Amazon
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake