RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pros and Cons on Auto Trailer Towing

Just purchased Lexus LS 460 and want to tow it behind my DP on an auto hauler trailer instead of dingy towing my Jeep.

I need 5 adult capacity and jeep is only 4.

I have run into problems dingy towing when getting caught in fuel stations, shopping center parking lots when 4 wheelers decide to park right in front of the DP making me disconnect the Jeep, back up and rehookup again.

The auto hauling trailer will allow me to back up if needed especially if I decide to spend time in truck stop over night spot.

The downside I see is the need to take car off trailer, detach trailer form DP and then relocate trailer to parking area when staying in CG for more than overnight in a Pull thru or pay for the Pull Thru for the entire stay (which is what I will do if possible - some don't as they keep them open for O/N travelers)(.

Looking for info from those of my fellow RVers who are or have hauled their vehicle on a trailer, especially on long hauls with several stops for touring.

Thanks for your assistance in advance - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Hi Richard. I think you have summarized the major pros/cons pretty well. I think the cons, however, can be mitigated perhaps making this alternative more attractive. Some considerations for you;

A high quality aluminum trailer (I'm partial to the Featherlite brand) will make towing a breeze and you don't have to worry about rust, paint, etc.

The more you can ease the loading/securing/unloading process, the easier the process will become. Our Featherlite has slide-out ramps and removable fenders (that are a snap to take-off/re-install) so getting the car up and in place is fast, safe and easy.

Cross-strapping the car at the front and back is a good way to secure it. We opted for an optional aluminum storage box at the front of the trailer to store the ratchet straps. You can go through the wheel openings but your Lexus likely has tie-down hooks on it from its Journey from Japan.

If there will be times when you have to unhook the trailer for a quick overnight, consider just to leave the car on it. In this case, maybe an electric tongue jack would make the process easier. (Mount battery in aforementioned storage box.)

I really like the idea of a trailer over flat-towing. Just focus on mitigating these negatives and I think you have a good plan. My $.02.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nota4re mentioned using the factory tie downs.

I much prefer to use unsprung tie down points. They tend to stay tight and are not affected by the springs bouncing the car.

Through, over the wheel, and axle straps are available from many sources.

A hitch on the trailered vehicle can come in mighty handy at times.
Some trailers can be tricky, if not dangerous to load and unload, when not connected to tow vehicle.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I pulled a open trailer exclusively for over 10 years and still do on occasion. In my experience the parking is pretty much a non-issue if you plan ahead to get pull-through sites long enough. Having a hitch on the trailered vehicle allows easy movement of the trailer in the event you have to separate.
Don't get a trailer longer than needed. A 14' deck will fit most vehicles.
Get brakes on both axles.
Try and get a trailer with a long enough tongue so the deck of the trailer doesn't contact the back of the Motorhome on sharp turns.
Have a good tool box on the trailer to store all the straps, jack, tire chalks, spare parts, and tire changing tools.
Have a good tongue jack able to support the full tongue weight with the trailer loaded.
Ramps that store easily, prefer slide out in back. Don't get a "Dovetail" as they usually don't have the rear ramps.
If you have a choice get 16" wheels as there is a better selection of tires and make sure you get a spare. If you get 15" wheels get two spares. Buy the best tires you can.
Something I have found useful are swivel tongue jacks mounted at the back of the trailer on each side. They allow me to load the vehicle onto the trailer without the trailer connected.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

I used to pull a Wrangler on a trailer (now flat-tow)

I've used pull through sites and back in sites. If I could have a site that allowed me to keep the trailer hitched, that was ideal for me.

I've stayed in crowded campgrounds where I had to move the trailer to another spot while we were there (usually boat trailer storage), I was never charged extra for this. Get a hitch on your towed vehicle, it helps to be able to use it to move the trailer around.

We pay to store our motorhome, so had to pay for another spot for the trailer.

Pro's were:
able to maneuver (reverse)
less wear and tear on my Jeep

Cons:
bigger/heavier
storage at the campground and at home
loading/unloading times are much longer than with flat-tow.

Steve
Old 05-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all. I ordered my LS with a receiver and wiring from the dealer to allow me to move the trailer with the car as needed - forgot to post that.

Still looking for trailer. Everything around here is the steel and wood. Not in any real hurry so will keep checking. Everything here uses the cross straps but I don't see why you couldn't install anchors on flooring if properly supported from underneath.

I've used a dolly in the past so used to using the tire tie downs which still come loose if not checked regularly. Will be checking to see if there is sufficient space to use on LS. Seems there should be since this is the full size one.

Thanks for your input. Enjoy your trips - Richard
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have two trailers one is a cargo for the car and motorcycle and assorted stuff. The other trailer is just for the car. I built it myself but idea could be done at any fab shop. The idea was as short and low as possible with only a single axle. I put a heavy duty all steel roller wheel under the trailer hitch. When needed I disconnect after unloading then put one of the ramp under the coach disconnect the trailer and roll it under the coach using the ramp to guide the trailer tongue and make rolling it easier. Works great and very little sticks out. I can attach a picture and the details if wanted. Richard
Old 05-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rkesselus,

I would appreciate your pictures. Thinking others would like to see your handiwork too.

Not sure a single axle would work with my LS as its curb weight has to be over 5K.

One dealer in my area sells an Aluma trailer with the front car shield with 14" tires. Really wasn't wanting to spend another 10K but may have to. They also sell a steel and wood car hauler with 15" tires which would require some DIY improvements but something I can handle.

Still have my '02 Jeep to dingy tow this summer until I get everything worked out but I want to downgrade to just the DP and the LS.

Thx for your help - Richard
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

I've done every type of towing. Each has it advantages. I currently tow the Avalanche four down, but tow my offroad Jeep on a flatbed. I use a 20' trailer with a dovetail. Plenty of room for the tool box across the front and spare tires between it and the Jeep. It has ramps that slide underneath and are easy to use. A longer trailer is easier to backup. I installed a pair of stop ramps for the front tires to bump against. I cross tie it down. I really appreciate the trailer when we travel a few hundred miles to new areas. Mine is steel and wood, but the motorhome doesn't care. It was half the price of an Aluminum one with the same 10K capacity. Your trailer will probably have 3500# axles and do not accept 14" tires. It should have at least 15" and 16" is better, but very few 3500# axles will come with them. Most trailer tires are made overseas and many are really cheap, so buy the best you can find. Goodyear now has a domestic trailer tire that is very good. With your Lexus, you shouldn't have to remove the fenders to load, as most car haulers are 80-82" between inner fender walls. Just be sure that the fenders are low enough to allow the door of your car to open without hitting them. Mine are drive over and I have seen aluminum trailers with drive over fenders as well. The electric tongue jack is a nice option. No battery needed as mine gets its power from the coach through the 7 pin RV plug. No one can drive off with your trailer if they can't lower the jack.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Just purchased Lexus LS 460 and want to tow it behind my DP on an auto hauler trailer instead of dingy towing my Jeep.

I need 5 adult capacity and jeep is only 4.

I have run into problems dingy towing when getting caught in fuel stations, shopping center parking lots when 4 wheelers decide to park right in front of the DP making me disconnect the Jeep, back up and rehookup again.

The auto hauling trailer will allow me to back up if needed especially if I decide to spend time in truck stop over night spot.

The downside I see is the need to take car off trailer, detach trailer form DP and then relocate trailer to parking area when staying in CG for more than overnight in a Pull thru or pay for the Pull Thru for the entire stay (which is what I will do if possible - some don't as they keep them open for O/N travelers)(.

Looking for info from those of my fellow RVers who are or have hauled their vehicle on a trailer, especially on long hauls with several stops for touring.

Thanks for your assistance in advance - Richard
Take a look at E-track for securing your vehicle to the trailer. You can mount e-track to the floor, use tire nets with e-track hardware (with idler). It will eliminate getting under the vehicle. ( which is advantageous for guys of a certain age,like me ). Maxxiss builds a quality trailer tire, recommend load range E [10 ply]
Macs Custom tie downs has the good stuff, I have used there products for years with excellent quality and service. O
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Picked up the Lexus Wednesday evening. Goes back for symonize treatment next week. Drives and rides like on a cloud BUT plans to trailer behind DP have been thwarted by better half. After driving almost 100 miles from dealer to home better-half stated emphatically 'NO!' to trailering even when I said we might go with an enclosed trailer.
Still have my '02 Jeep Liberty which pulls fine so for now will still be flat towing but will really be looking ahead as much as possible so I don't have to disconnect to backup in tight places.

NO PROBLEM! we're still enjoying the USA mile-by-mile.

Have a great day and drive safe and thanks to everyone for your input. I filed them away incase things change - Richard
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I have two trailers one is a cargo for the car and motorcycle and assorted stuff. The other trailer is just for the car. I built it myself but idea could be done at any fab shop. The idea was as short and low as possible with only a single axle. I put a heavy duty all steel roller wheel under the trailer hitch. When needed I disconnect after unloading then put one of the ramp under the coach disconnect the trailer and roll it under the coach using the ramp to guide the trailer tongue and make rolling it easier. Works great and very little sticks out. I can attach a picture and the details if wanted. Richard
Lissten folks technology is not my thing but I am going to attempt a new post with pictures and what I did. Fingers crossed. Richard
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
First here are the pictures, I hope, of the trailer I built to haul my car. followed y what each shows. Well after typing all the particulars out I did not save it so I am too tired to continue so maybe I will redo it tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartrailer1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	248031   Click image for larger version

Name:	cartrailer2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	248032  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cartrailer3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	248033   Click image for larger version

Name:	cartrailer4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	248034  

Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rkesselus, thanks for the pictures. Looks like a good job.
How much weight are you hauling? Do you have any problems with the single axle? From years ago it seems to me I remember it being a lot harder to control than a tandem axle.
Still looking for what I'm going to do. Wife not excited about me hauling her Lexus but I want to get away from multiple vehicles and be able to back up when on the road.

Drive safe - Richard

Tags
tow, towing, trailer