RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:07 AM   #15

I am not sold on the fixed mount dolly. I want to take some time and borrow a swivel pan dolly and put the Prius on it and then stop on a straight line and measure from the frame of the dolly to a point on the Prius as a baseline to simulate wheelbase (I know it won't be the actual wheelbase, be patient). If I measure at the same points, then the distance should be equal. Then make a turn and stop in the middle of the turn and measure the same points. My guess is that in a left turn, the change will be about 4 inches on each side, and using that number for a base, it will mean that the torque on the car suspension will be wanting to shorten the wheelbase on the left and lengthen it on the right. I would guess that wouldn't be healthy for the suspension parts.
The second part of the experiment will be putting the Prius on a fixed dolly and then put the rear wheels on something like a furniture dolly and then make a turn and see how much the rear of the Prius swings out, much like the tail swing on our coaches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It's called the "Ackerman Principal" Open the link I supplied in post number 9. I have the same concern, but am reassured that it's not a problem.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #17

I would think that the dolly tires will skuff sideways in sharp turns.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would think that the dolly tires will skuff sideways in sharp turns.
They will scuff sideways until you break the bead and the tire rolls off the rim. BTDT. That was my dumb move that taught me it was better to unhook if there was *any* question.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any comments,opinions or advice from Acme EZE Tow? Would be appreciated.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Bill 3rd has it right - the only consideration is locked vs unlock steering wheels. The swivel plate was an advantage when nearly all cars used locking (anti-theft) steering wheels, but now that other types of electronic anti-theft systems are common, the fixed plate can actually be more convenient. If you have a non-locking steering system, the steering wheel should be tied down somehow if used with a swivel plate dolly. Can some non-locking vehicles be towed successfully without doing that? Sure, but do you want to find out the hard way?

Just remember that you may well have the dolly longer than your present car, so basing the decision on the current car and its type of anti-theft device could be short-sighted. Tying down the steering wheel or not is usually not a big deal once you figure out a technique that works with a particular vehicle. Often the seat belt can be used.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Any comments,opinions or advice from Acme EZE Tow? Would be appreciated.
Happy Glamping.

Not sure what type of information you are looking for, I have been using an ACME for three years and am happy with the dolly. I tow my Chevy Malibu with it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Not sure what type of information you are looking for, I have been using an ACME for three years and am happy with the dolly. I tow my Chevy Malibu with it.
Vettenuts, have you walked beside the dolly as a sharp corner like a right hand turn in a small town is made? I often end up in small towns with little room to make right turns, and am a little worried that there will be a lot of tension put on the wheel straps. Or are they allowed to move some? If they (front tires) could move back and forth 3-4 inches, I guess there wouldn't be too much strain on the front end. Shorter wheelbase cars would be better I'm guessing.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #23

Actually, the tires move back and forth an inch or so from what I have seen but I have never checked them mid-turn. What will happen is the new radial dolly tires will deflect in shear. The older bias tires they used had issues because of this side loading but the new radials work great. The wheel straps will be fine. I may retire my current set to backup position and use my new set this year. My current set have three years and about 15,000 miles of use. I have driven mine through many towns and cities where 90 degree turns at stop signs/lights are required. Never had an issue.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It's called the "Ackerman Principal" Open the link I supplied in post number 9. I have the same concern, but am reassured that it's not a problem.
Happy Glamping.
I am aware of the principle and am not willing worried about tracking. I am talking about the forward and backward stressors on the front suspension.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #25

Acme......

Just watch our video. Lot better then speculation.

www.cartowdolly.com

www.dieselgastrailer.com
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I am aware of the principle and am not willing worried about tracking. I am talking about the forward and backward stressors on the front suspension.

With front wheel drive and no positraction I would think that would load the front suspension more than towing on a dolly. I've got 10's of thousands of miles towing my Malibu and have zero suspension issues.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:41 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking that with the modern car suspensions, they have lots of flex built in with all the rubber bushings to suppress road noise. There is enough to take up the stresses put on the front end while turning. Is that reasonable?
In the swivel dollies, the amount the swivel plate moves is very little most of the time. When in a sharp turn, I'm guessing there is a stopper to limit the amount of rotation. The straps over the wheels will give a certain amount also.
So with the suspension flex, strap stretch and wheels turning, the fixed dollies should work in most situations.
Is this about how the fixed dollies work?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #28

I have never gotten out and checked mine mid turn, however I have taken it through several small cramped towns (not by choice, last year it was a detour) and have had to make 90 degree turns in tight quarters. The ACME and my Malibu track behind my coach and I don't worry about it. I need to make my turns wide to get the coach through and if the coach makes the turn so does the dolly/car. Early on I did put a white rag on the top of the steering wheel and you can see the car's steering turn as the coach/dolly make a turn. If you watch the video on ACME's web site, you will see the same. Their video was made with a Prius, not sure if they have since changed it. Their prior one was with a GM SUV if I remember correctly.

I have had a few minor issues with my ACME but they are sorted out and I find it very dependable. I have also installed metal clamp in valve stems so I can use my TPMS on the dolly when towing.

Tags
dolly