RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #29

There are actually 3 types of dollies on the market. The fixed axle style, the swivel plate, and the steerable axle. Of the 3 the only one that will follow directly in the path of the rear wheels of the motorhome is the steerable axle. The other 2 styles will cut the corner shorter than the motorhome, just like towing a trailer.

The swivel plate and steerable axle styles require the steering on the towed vehicle to be locked. The fixed axle style requires that the steering on the towed vehicle be unlocked.

Of the styles the lightest is the fixed axle, followed by the swivel plate, with the heaviest being the steerable axle style.

To further complicate things there are at many braking options available. They are:
1. No Brakes
2. Hydraulic Surge Brakes
3. Electric Brakes
4. Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes

Add into the mix that options 2, 3,and 4 are also available in either drum or disk formats.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #30

I did look hard at the Demco Kar Kaddy SS prior to purchasing my dolly, which is a very nice quality unit but was considerably more than the ACME. On a trip to Michigan, my ACME was stored next to the Demco in their storage lot. The ACME was really small compared to the Demco and I am not sure how well I could move the Demco on non-paved surfaces even though it has the front roller jack. Don't get me wrong, I think the Demco is a very nice dolly but I think the ACME does the job quite well and I am happy with mine.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #31

I tow a dolly on a class C, 30ft MH. Because of the significant overhang, beyond the rear axle, my dolly does a not cut the corners in a turn, but in fact tracks wider then the MH.

I learned this while parked parallel to a curb in a parking lot. As I turned away from the curb, the dolly tire rode up on it because it was following the hitch, that was swinging wide in the turn.

I believe this will happen with any style dolly if combined with a long overhang MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I'm thinking that with the modern car suspensions, they have lots of flex built in with all the rubber bushings to suppress road noise. There is enough to take up the stresses put on the front end while turning. Is that reasonable?
In the swivel dollies, the amount the swivel plate moves is very little most of the time. When in a sharp turn, I'm guessing there is a stopper to limit the amount of rotation. The straps over the wheels will give a certain amount also.
So with the suspension flex, strap stretch and wheels turning, the fixed dollies should work in most situations.
Is this about how the fixed dollies work?
Essentially, NO. You will be stressing your whole suspension on every maneuver. With a swivel plate dolly and a locked steering column there is plenty of swivel for lane changes and the wide turns typical of folks driving a MH. That is why folks with unlocked steering have been known to use a swivel dolly without tying down the steering with no problem. As long as one does not do anything stupid it all tracks.

The only time a problem really arises is when one tries to cut a really sharp turn than ends up dragging the dolly sideways. You will get that faster with a straight axle but any kind of dolly or 4 down towbar will get you in a situation like that. Then you are stressing everything so it's just a matter of what breaks first.

FWIW I tend to agree with twinboat about the swing. We have roughly the same size MH. I routinely choose to go through towns on truck routes. No problem as long as I pay attention to the cars around me and more or less drive the route like I watch the semi trucks do. If you watch folks who have experience towing they are a lot more situationally aware than most drivers. They have to be to set themselves up so the don't get caught in places they have to unhook to get out of.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I worked on trucks for 40 years, so am fully aware of how much or how little a trailer will track off. As mechanics, we often moved trucks in and out of the shop. 90 plus feet long, 2 trailers and 8 axels on a B Train takes a little care to make a 90 degree turn and get into the shop without hitting the wall.
I pull my Ranger now and haven't had any problems around town. I'm just thinking about getting a dolly so the odd time we can take my wife's Mazdarati 3 along instead of the Ranger.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly