Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #29

I installed the longer one, using a inverted extended hitch, P-A-T fits perfect from mounting to steel frame of the cargo boxes to under the bottom front of the CR-V. I also added eyelets on the CR-V to hook up P-A-T. When not needed, I roll it up using a bungee cord over the hitch. It's tucked up and not even seen walking by. If you have dropped or inverted hitch extender, by all means, order the longer one.
2 cats-trekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #30

Works great and a plus is that it keeps the rear of the motorhome much cleaner--from dust and road spray.
3XACHRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #31

I had diamond shield put on my car. Alot of owners don't like it. I've had no trouble with the motor home or toad. Have had it on now for 10 years and it looks like new. But I keep it clean after each outing. Have had alot of comments and stares, especially on the toad. It works for me and that's what counts.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #32

Thank you
tileman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It depends on your towbars. I would get it hooked up, ready to tow, and then measure from the rear of the MH to about 6" to 12" underneath the Yukon. I would much rather have it too long than too short! Just be sure you have a place under the front of the Yukon to put the anchors.
If you use a drop hitch adaptor depending on the size of it you may or may not need the longer one. I also had to mount our anchors on the toad back a bit because the front of the toad is curved so I had to move the anchors back to get the proper width for the screen.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Joe....I can only be concerned about so much. How do you keep the Protect A Tow from being torn up by a road gator???

I'm pretty particular about my cars. I've been using the Road Wrap for almost two years and no damage. Most debris is going to skip off of the toad, not embed itself in the vehicle. The wrap protects what hits and skips off.
Don, would a car bra made of padded vinyl not protect the front as well, and it could be left on , no ? How thick is the car wrap and what the heck is a road gator ?
gimlimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #35

Thanks guys, going to protect a tow. That's why I love this site
budman5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I am getting my new car rigged to tow 4 down and I want to protect it with the protect-a-tow. I have a couple of questions about installing it.
I have a concern about where to install the eye bolts on the car. In looking at the under side of the car I see it covered with a plastic dust and rock pan. The only place I see to mount the eye bolts is in this plastic covering. Is that going to be strong enough to hold it in place? If not I am afraid it will be a major undertaking. Would it be possible to mount them to the base plate after I get it installed?
My other concern has to do with hooking it up for travel. The main reason I want to tow 4 down is to avoid having to get on my knees to hook up like I do with the dolly. How hard is it to connect to the eye bolts? Will I need to get on my knees to connect?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I am getting my new car rigged to tow 4 down and I want to protect it with the protect-a-tow. I have a couple of questions about installing it.
I have a concern about where to install the eye bolts on the car. In looking at the under side of the car I see it covered with a plastic dust and rock pan. The only place I see to mount the eye bolts is in this plastic covering. Is that going to be strong enough to hold it in place? If not I am afraid it will be a major undertaking. Would it be possible to mount them to the base plate after I get it installed?
My other concern has to do with hooking it up for travel. The main reason I want to tow 4 down is to avoid having to get on my knees to hook up like I do with the dolly. How hard is it to connect to the eye bolts? Will I need to get on my knees to connect?
If it's the normal thick plastic it will be fine. Just use large fender washers on the eye bolts above and below the plastic!

You can hook it without getting on your knees if bending is not a problem. I prefer to use a foam rubber kneeling pad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If it's the normal thick plastic it will be fine. Just use large fender washers on the eye bolts above and below the plastic!

You can hook it without getting on your knees if bending is not a problem. I prefer to use a foam rubber kneeling pad!
I had the same type of plastic. I did what this poster did. Worked parfectly. Knee pad maybe, one knee maybe, easy to do.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My coach requires an 8" drop receiver to get the tow bar level. Does anyone else have this situation? Do you go underneath the drop receiver?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone come up with a way to mount the PAT without using eye bolts attached to the coach fiberglass or toad plastic bumper? I like the way it mounts below the tow bar and cables but I don't like the way it is attached. For this reason I am looking at the RM Tow Defender but it mounts over the tow bar....geez...some people just can't be pleased!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:16 PM   #41

If you have a Roadmaster base plate the Tow Defender is a better setup plus when you unhook you have a place to store it as seen in the videos
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4700.html
I also have the Roadmaster 4000 Guardian Rock Shield, they work great together.
My daughter has the protect a tow and when you unhook you have to bag it, kind of a pain.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
If you have a Roadmaster base plate the Tow Defender is a better setup plus when you unhook you have a place to store it as seen in the videos
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4700.html
I also have the Roadmaster 4000 Guardian Rock Shield, they work great together.
My daughter has the protect a tow and when you unhook you have to bag it, kind of a pain.
2 stroker
It is also almost twice the price.

Tags
tow