Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Protect-A-Tow

Any comments on the Protect-A-Tow product to protect dinghy from being damaged while in tow? Is there another brand more widely used by members?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Last November we install one on my daughter MH and 2016 Ford Edge. Got it quick out of Canada and about a 15min install time and it works great. I have the Roadmaster hard rock guard but I may get this also, just get the right size.
http://protectatow.tripod.com/webonm...NT_DIAGRAM.pdf
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a '14 CR-V from another member here, it came with the RoadMaster Alaska package which has the Tow Defender and Guardian. The CR-V was then towed from Las Vegas to Alaska and back to OR. The CR-V looks great with no chips that I have found. The combination works as advertised.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had a protect-a-tow for a few months and have used it on 2 long trips. Customer service is great. Before I even installed it, Dear Wife stepped on one of the hooks on the end of the support rod and broke it. The company sent a new support rod assembly and some extra hooks (good thing because I broke another one while I was initially installing it. I finally replaced the end hooks with cheap carabiners from the dollar store and they work great.

The installation requires you to drill holes in the bottom of your motor home rear end and in your truck bumper for eyebolts. That wouldn't work on my motor home so I made a custom angle iron bracket that bolts to the bottom of the hitch ahd that works great.

On the first trip out, the edge of the fabric got up against the exhaust pipe and melted (the instructions warned about this). I kluged it back together and rigged up a strap to hold it back and it has worked pretty well since then. Easy to install.

So it was much less expensive than the competitors, but somewhat more trouble and probably a bit poorer quality.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

We have used one on three coaches for three years and it works great. The hooks on the rod that help hold it taut are original and work fine also. Takes less than 2 minutes extra to put on after hooking up the tow bar. Only caution is that it works better if the coach exhaust is out the side, not the rear. All of our coaches have had right side exhaust. We're not retired yet, but the protect a tow has followed us around for at least 23,000 miles so far and is still in excellent shape. The car hasn't got a spot on it from road debris.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another yes for the Protect_A_Tow. Great product, very easy install and easy to hook up, but the plastic hooks broke for us as well and we did the same carabiner fix. That would be the only improvement i would suggest to the product.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would not travel without one........

Old 04-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Pale horse, I am curious as to why you have mounted the coach end under the mud flap instead of at the bottom I'm the coach itself? Seems like it would make the protect a tow vulnerable to scraping. Never mind. I see that the tow bar is in the way.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
Pale horse, I am curious as to why you have mounted the coach end under the mud flap instead of at the bottom I'm the coach itself? Seems like it would make the protect a tow vulnerable to scraping. Never mind. I see that the tow bar is in the way.
Scraping would be my concern as well. Our hitch drops down a bit as does the genny exhaust, but the bungee cord that it mounts with fits around both easily.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the Protect-A-Tow! Been using it for five years without a single rock chip on our toad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like to keep things simple. I've tried several things over the years and have found a simple solution.....it's called Road Wrap. Road Wrap is like saran wrap. It comes in an 18" x 100' role for $14.00 from Amazon. It's thicker than saran wrap and is sticky on one side. I've used it on three different cars now when towing.

I simply start at the front of the wheel well on one side, stick it down, stick my fingers in both ends of the roll and roll out enough to reach the other wheel well. On my GMC Canyon, it uses about 5' to cover the front. On my Canyon, it covers where the tow cable connects, so I just slice that spot with a razor.

I leave the plastic on until we reach our destination. As an example, we may leave for the Grand Canyon that takes two days. If we stop the first night and decide to go out to dinner, I leave it on. I will usually cut a large slit if the grille needs to be exposed for air flow. Once we reach the Grand Canyon, I just peel the wrap off and throw it away.

My description probably will take longer to read than do. After installing it a couple of times on the three different cars I've used it on, I quickly learned where to start the film and end it. I can put the film on in about 3-4 minutes.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don, how would that protect your toad finish against a jagged rock that gets thrown up against it?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #13

I've towed a 2007 Jeep Liberty since 2008, no chips, etc. and never used any product to protect it. Might rethink this if going to Alaska. Just another thing to make money on from my experience. Dave
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I bought a '14 CR-V from another member here, it came with the RoadMaster Alaska package which has the Tow Defender and Guardian. The CR-V was then towed from Las Vegas to Alaska and back to OR. The CR-V looks great with no chips that I have found. The combination works as advertised.
Mr D
Just went over to RoadMaster today and picked up my Tow Defender, what a cool place. After watching the youtube on etrailer it is the perfect fit for my RoadMaster setup.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow