Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Protecting front on toad from stones

We are moving from using a tow dolly for our Mini Cooper to flat towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is the use of a front shield the best way to prevent damage. Recent Newmar owners have said that removing the stone guard under the motor home is the best way to prevent damage to the toad. Then what is the purpose of the stone guard, advertising the brand?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

Stone guard and toad damage

I've seen the big solid stone guards with advertising on them drag and bounce along down the road. I have to think that this kicks up some debris that would impact the toad. Absent personal experience with these, I would take the advice of the folks that have them.

Our current RV has the broom style guard (or horse tail, or whatever it may be called in your part of the world) and it does keep the toad cleaner than our previous RV that had no stone guard at all. However, I have to say that we have had no significant front damage to our toads with either RV. Both of our RVs were/are gassers, so they have mud flaps behind the rear wheels and long overhangs. These probably are the main reasons that rocks and such don't hit the toads.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but I have to think that good mud flaps directly behind the rear wheels will do more to safeguard your toad than a big chrome road sweeper dragging and bouncing behind.

I hope you get some replies and advice from people with actual experience with and without these big stone guards. Good luck and enjoy the many benefits of towing 4 down. You'll never go back. (Pun intended.)
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
...and looking pretty (to some). There is a current thread on this - it has me convinced that the guard needs to be removed

I watched a Dutch star pulling out of a campground the other day... Stone guard happily kicking up stones the whole way out.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
We are moving from using a tow dolly for our Mini Cooper to flat towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is the use of a front shield the best way to prevent damage. Recent Newmar owners have said that removing the stone guard under the motor home is the best way to prevent damage to the toad. Then what is the purpose of the stone guard, advertising the brand?
The previous owner of my Coach had removed the "Swinging Sign" and installed a Dura flap. If I remember right it was 16" long, close to the ground......engine compartment always really dirty.....studied up on here years ago about this subject.........Then I cut the flap down to 8" in order to work with my Protect-A-Tow.........Engine compartment a lot cleaner now, and the protect a tow seals to the bottom of the 8" flap right to and under the Jeep ......works very well for me.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

x2 for the Protect A Tow.................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:38 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
We are a Roadmaster family, DP towing a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. RM Sterling tow bar, RM Tow Defender with RM Guardian. It has worked great all the way to Alaska and back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473154726.917771.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	138190
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Look at post #10 in this link!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad-...ml#post3220246
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Best thing we did was to remove that big advertising flap. No more stone chips on our newly repainted enclosed trailer. Our son did the same thing to his 2016 Mountain Aire. Stopped his stone chips too. How much cheaper can it get. Just remove two clamps. I'm sure the screens and shields work, but IMHO, they are not needed.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
There are other recent threads on this subject. You will find that a growing number are removing the rear flap completely and eliminating the need for all the other protection devices such as screens, covers etc.
I removed mine over 15,000 miles ago and do not use Any Protection Devices whatsoever.
The toad stays cleaner, the engine compartment stays cleaner, there are No Stone Chips on the toad And, I don't have to mess with all the gizmos that accumulate road grime and are a pain to handle.
Some people seem to be hooked on the looks of the Big Ol Billboard and continue to fight with it but for me, Good Riddance.
The only device required is a good set of flaps directly behind the rear duals that cover the full width of the duals and are set so they just clear the ground when the air is dumped.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Best thing we did was to remove that big advertising flap. No more stone chips on our newly repainted enclosed trailer. Our son did the same thing to his 2016 Mountain Aire. Stopped his stone chips too. How much cheaper can it get. Just remove two clamps. I'm sure the screens and shields work, but IMHO, they are not needed.
You are correct.....nothing is needed........but I am going to assume, you see the protection factor for the TOAD?
Before the screen setup, my JK 's windshield was starting to get a "Sand Blast" appearance to it........from towing........that stopped, not to mention how much cleaner the rear of the Coach stays when driving in the rain, Jeep too......
Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

This is another discussion on the subject of rear Add Flaps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rear...ch-307128.html
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
We are a Roadmaster family, DP towing a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. RM Sterling tow bar, RM Tow Defender with RM Guardian. It has worked great all the way to Alaska and back.

Attachment 138190
BTW, if you live in BC and are still hung up on using these gizmos, I have a set of guards just like this setup that I would part with at a REALLY GOOD price.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

We do not have the "advertising bar" on our Alpine, however we do have individual mud flaps behind each set of duals. While driving the lower 48 you may luck out and not need the screens and shields, but for an Alaska trip with so many roads under repair and gravel sections on many others, I submit you need something to protect your toad. TOW is 100+ miles of gravel, but the views are to die for. While our complete Roadmaster set up might not be the ultimate solution for everyone, it did work well for us, if you don't do something, you will regret it, paying the price when you get home.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

North Texas here. Got 2 free ones. Soon will be in land fill. No more stones on toad.

Tags
toad