RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Protecting Toad Windshield

I recently purchased a 2012 Equinox in Arizona and pulled it behind my DP for a 350-mile trip back to California. Now I see lots of windshield pits that I never noticed before. Even though the MH has a large mud flap, I think there must still be lots of small rocks that get thrown up.

Before I replace the windshield, what's the best protection for the windshield of a toad? I see plenty of windshield covers online that say they're for protection from ice and snow, but they don't specify that they're for use on a car while it's towed. So, I'm worried these covers might flap around in the wind.

Could anyone tell me of their experience at protecting a towed vehicle from small rocks and sand? Thanks.
DaveGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGalt View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 Equinox in Arizona and pulled it behind my DP for a 350-mile trip back to California. Now I see lots of windshield pits that I never noticed before. Even though the MH has a large mud flap, I think there must still be lots of small rocks that get thrown up.

Before I replace the windshield, what's the best protection for the windshield of a toad? I see plenty of windshield covers online that say they're for protection from ice and snow, but they don't specify that they're for use on a car while it's towed. So, I'm worried these covers might flap around in the wind.

Could anyone tell me of their experience at protecting a towed vehicle from small rocks and sand? Thanks.
I googled "windshield tearoffs" to see what companies produce the tearoff strips like they use on IMSA and NASCAR race cars. I found a company Racing Optics plus several others that sell those. I have not used these, but it might be worth a try for long trips or situations where you weren't having to disconnect your toad too often. I'm sure it could get expensive (but still cheaper than a new windshield).
Old 11-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

When I had chips on and enclosed trailer with a custom paint job, I removed the big rubber flap from the motorhome. I removed it after I repainted the trailer. After several thousand miles, no more chips. To be safer when I tow my white Avalanche, I use a "Protect-A-Tow" skirt. Never a chip on the truck. Most people eliminate any stone chips after the big flap is removed.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for the NO wide mup flap. I also have the Protect-A-Tow and have had no problems. Those big mud flaps, if they ever drag the ground will throw up more stones than they stop.
Roadmaster also has a sheild similar to the Protect-A-Tow but a bit more espensive. There are also solid sheilds that attach to the towbar, just in front of the towed. Be careful and read your towed's owner manual - some cars need the airflow into the front for transmission cooling.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
X2 on removing the big wide flap at the back.

There was a thread going at one time where someone mentioned a certain place in Whitehorse, YT. They had a pile of them from people taking "Add Flaps" off after getting so many chips on the gravel roads.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

KISS

Look at all you guys with money to burn! Windshield tear off this, mud flap removal that......like I've got money to burn!

Me? I cut up a piece of corrugated cardboard about the same size as the windshield of my Jeep Wrangler, lean it against the windshield and hold it in place with the windshield wiper arms.

Yeah, I've lost a few over the years, but cardboard I dug out of the trash?
Old 11-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #7

Chances are your flap is too close to the ground. Even though it doesn't touch, air swirling under and around it is enough to kick up stones. Pull the flap up 1 or 2 links on it's suspension chain and your problem should be solved. We've driven 3 RV Class A's nine times to Alaska since 2006, and this probably included at least 200 miles on gravel each trip and do not get window chips. Only time I starred a windshield on the toad was driving it separately on a gravel patch and opposite direction traffic threw up a rock.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a full flap and it's too low to the ground you will throw up a lot of debris which can cause chips. If the flap is at the correct height, it will not do that. I have had a full flap on two MHs and over 40,000 miles and never had a chip. I have even been on dirt roads with no incidents.

You can also go to Amazon and for about $35 buy a windshield protector. Magnetic or strap on.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #9

How about the, "hula skirt," Splash Stop? The full width flap that's basically a brush?
Any comments?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the big mudflap off.

Hey, you don't happen to have a brother named John do you?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Protecting Toad Windshield

[QUOTE=Arch Hoagland;5541318]>>>...Hey, you don't happen to have a brother named John do you?...<<<
Good one.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
I googled "windshield tearoffs" to see what companies produce the tearoff strips like they use on IMSA and NASCAR race cars. I found a company Racing Optics plus several others that sell those. I have not used these, but it might be worth a try for long trips or situations where you weren't having to disconnect your toad too often. I'm sure it could get expensive (but still cheaper than a new windshield).

Having a little experience with tear-offs on race cars I can tell you two things: 1. they're not cheap and 2: they are not meant for long term use. After they are on for a month or two they won't come off of a race car windshield, and race cars spend most of their life in garages. The sun baking on those for a week towing your toad will probably make it nearly impossible to remove without a hair dryer and even then you'll probably need to remove the adhesive residue with some kind of solvent. I would look really hard at the "skirts" that go horizontally between the coach and the toad. The vertical guards keep the toad safe but the rocks bounce off of the shield then hit the back of the coach from what I've heard. I will admit to having no personal experience with either. Look around the Internet, see what folks have to say and make up your own mind. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
As others posted, if your coach's rear rock guard is set at the right height off the ground, you won't have a problem with stones/rocks being thrown on the toad. It took us several adjustments to get ours right. Even then, one of us has to be near it when we air down to be sure it folds under the coach without getting caught or bent if it lands on its edge on the way down.

As for a toad windshield cover, we had one for our prior Jeep. It was heavy & had "ears" that shut in the doors to hold secure. Also clips that were supposed to snap around the front wheel wells, but that didn't work because the Liberty had sealed wheel wells. Anyway, we used it once & it's been in a box in our S&B's basement ever since. The one time we used it, it was raining. The thing was filthy after arrival at the campground & I hated having to find a place for a heavy/wet cover. The Jeep got dirty doing sightseeing so before we could put the wet cover back on, we had to wash the windshield, fenders & part of the roof so that any dirt/soot would not scratch the glass/finish from the cover being on it. On paper, a cover sounded good, but it was WAY more hassle than it was worth. I wouldn't waste your money on one.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:36 AM   #14

I have used the multi strip rock guard for years and never had an issue until this year.
I got one small star chip on passenger side so I am trying a thin sheet of rubber secured to the windshield. It has enough weight so it doesn't flab. It is hard to find things soft enough to secure it that won't scratch anything. Used some plastic grommets, a soft cord to secure it and the wipers. So far so good but have only done 2000 Kms with it.
I was surprised when this happened because I had driven 30,000 kms with only grit getting om the dingy.

I see lots of ideas out there and I am sure they all have merit. No one idea is perfect and if we all post our ideas there is one that will work for you.

As Phil-T mentioned the dingy you tow will dictate options also
Toklat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wind, windshield