Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #1

Protection for towing vehicle

Going to tow my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk behind my Greyhawk 29mv. W there are few different types of protection for stone and debree hitting your vehicle. Would like some help what is worth buying to protect your vehicle, or do not need to worry about damaged to your tow vehicle ? Thanks for your input.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 04:23 AM   #2

With a 10 to 12 ft overhang, that long class C's have beyond the rear axle and tires, I can't see how anything the tires kick up can reach the car.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #3

We tow a Jeep Liberty with a motorhome that has a significant overhang and 2 mud flaps that completely cover the rear tires as shown below. Until this year, we always had a hood deflector on the Liberty. We have NOT YET towed without the hood deflector.

It is remarkable how the Liberty accumulates tiny road debris, mostly dirt but also sand and a little 2x the size of sand. I assume the motor home gets it air bourn, then sucked around to the back, then deposited on the Liberty's windshield wiper area. The Liberty with the hood deflector does not get stone chip damage, just very dirty. I am sure it's been hard on the paint but from 10 years of towing it, I still don't notice any paint abrasion nor other damage from the debris. The gray painted color would hide abrasion better than a very dark color.

Just recently I discarded the hood deflector because it got brittle and broke from age. I wonder if we will now get paint damage without it.

Here is our towing setup, a 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with 2006 Jeep Liberty.

Here are the rear mud flaps.

I advise to consider installing a hood protector, also referred to as a bug deflector. I have seen a few people with a very large shield mounted just in front of their tow vehicle, but I wonder if the additional protection is worth the hassle. I would consider the black stranded hair-like shield across the back of the motor home before installing such a shield to avoid additional towing complexity.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rear flap ?

We installed a full width "brush style" flap at the back edge of our Jayco Seneca 33ss, and it has worked wonders keeping the toad clean.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:40 PM   #5

I have towed my 2014 Honda CR-V for 25,000 miles and I have no protection other than a rock guard similar to your mud flaps. No nicks or damage.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	315888
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #6

We started towing our new Ranger without anything and ended up with small rock chips after a few trips. We do have mud flaps behind our rear tires, but we don’t have a full length guard. We decided to add a Roadmaster tow defender and since doing so we have had no new chips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	315890
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

The first point of protection is to put mud flaps directly behind the tires where the rocks start. They need to be a little wider than your tires, and be about 6" off the ground.
Then if you still get rock chips, look at the hanging style mud flap on the back to catch the rest of it. Just make sure that mud flap is at least 4" off the ground. If not, it can create a wind tunnel effect and actually throw the loose rocks at your car instead.
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Demco Commander towbar with the Demco Sentry Deflector.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...-accessories-1

Easy to instal and bulletproof. The Sentry Deflector fits other towbars/baseplates. My poor Blazer got beat up before I got this. I'll also be towing a Cherokee Trailhawk, without its red front towhooks. My baseplate goes there. :[
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #9

We have used a protect a tow for over 7 years between coaches and a Kia Soul. Not a spot on it. Recently sold it and threw in the protect a tow and ordered a new one to use with a new Cherokee Trailhawk. About 1 minute to install or remove.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think the Protect-a-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad provides the best possible protection! Problem is you can't use it with a rear exhaust! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #11

Protect-a-Tow mesh shield. Quick and easy.

Works well. No chips so far.

I had the exhaust moved to come out the side.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tried brush style, and strip style guards to protect the auto. Finally went to a Protect-a-Tow and had much better success in keeping the rocks off the dinghy.

The only other thing I have seen that works is the total front end and windshield bra for the dinghy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
We have used a protect a tow for over 7 years between coaches and a Kia Soul. Not a spot on it. Recently sold it and threw in the protect a tow and ordered a new one to use with a new Cherokee Trailhawk. About 1 minute to install or remove.

I am wondering what brand do you use? There are a few different brands. Some are half the price as the name brand ones.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing