Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #15

Today, I received in the mail a second eye bolt from a Toyota OEM discounter that I found ion the Internet that was lots cheaper than either at my local Toyota dealer or other places. An exact match for the one that came with the car. I hope that all the parts I need for towing are in hand! Will let you know how it goes!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #16

Talking Eye bolts

Very interested in this myself. We tow a 2012 Toyota Rav4 on a Demco Kar Kaddy 3. I have to admit I'd really miss hooking the safety chains under the car, especially when it's hot, cold, raining, parked on gravel, or dirt, or wet grass, or asphalt, etc.
But I'm willing to give all that fun up if I can hook the safety chains to the tow eye bolts. Can anyone provide specifics or pictures how this is done? Do you shorten the chains or loop them before you connect to the eye bolts? Is it considered safe to do this?
Thanks in advance, Bob
bob91750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #17

Will let everyone know once I get it all together!
Old 07-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #18

Still working on getting my 2016 Prius ready to tow on a car dolly. So I brought my MH and the Acme EZE Tow dolly to my RV guy. Today, we hitched it up to the MH and installed a new light connection plug on the MH and the trailer lights work great. Then I tried to drive the car onto the dolly but ran into a clearance problem. The front spoiler/bumper is about 1.5 inches to low to clear the dolly's lip. On Tuesday, my next free day, we'll try a drop hitch. Hopefully this will work! If not, I'm open to ideas.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Then I tried to drive the car onto the dolly but ran into a clearance problem. The front spoiler/bumper is about 1.5 inches to low to clear the dolly's lip. On Tuesday, my next free day, we'll try a drop hitch. Hopefully this will work! If not, I'm open to ideas.
Be certain the tongue height is within the EZE Tow specs. From their FAQ at https://cartowdolly.com/faqs/:

What height does the hitch need to be at?
The hitch height needs to be set at 14-16 inches with 14 inches being ideal for most vehicles. However, if you are ever towing a low profile vehicle you need the hitch height to be at 12 inches.

You do not want to be out of that range because it will adversely affect the surge brake activation point.

If you are within those specs, some people have laid a board in front of each ramp to give it a bit of extra lift. Just be careful that the tires do not whip the board out of there. One long board may be better than two small ones.

My Sonata is also low-clearance so when we're loading on the driveway I need to be certain the coach is level to drop the hitch enough. I need an 8" drop hitch from Tractor Supply to get the correct hitch height when the coach is level.

HTH,

Ray
Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91750 View Post
Very interested in this myself. We tow a 2012 Toyota Rav4 on a Demco Kar Kaddy 3. I have to admit I'd really miss hooking the safety chains under the car, especially when it's hot, cold, raining, parked on gravel, or dirt, or wet grass, or asphalt, etc.
But I'm willing to give all that fun up if I can hook the safety chains to the tow eye bolts. Can anyone provide specifics or pictures how this is done? Do you shorten the chains or loop them before you connect to the eye bolts? Is it considered safe to do this?
Thanks in advance, Bob
I run vinyl coated safety cables thru the front wheels back around to the attaching point and use snap hooks.

I figure if the 10 lug nuts let go, its a big crash.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #21

We had the same issue with our Stehl tow dolly and our Toyota corolla. I made 3’ long ramps to extend the Stehl ramps and reduce the incline angle. Worked great.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Still working on getting my 2016 Prius ready to tow on a car dolly. So I brought my MH and the Acme EZE Tow dolly to my RV guy. Today, we hitched it up to the MH and installed a new light connection plug on the MH and the trailer lights work great. Then I tried to drive the car onto the dolly but ran into a clearance problem. The front spoiler/bumper is about 1.5 inches to low to clear the dolly's lip. On Tuesday, my next free day, we'll try a drop hitch. Hopefully this will work! If not, I'm open to ideas.
Try cutting some 2 x 4 scraps on a diagonal to make some little mini-ramps to reduce the clearance necessary. Just a 2 x 4 scrap cut lengthwise on a 45 degree may be enough. Place them at the edge of your dolly ramps to give a little step up.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #23

Acme EZE Tow Dolly responded to my request for advice and recommended using a drop hitch. Said the trailer tongue was too high and needed to be lowered which is basically what me and the RV tech thought too. So on Tuesday, we'll try that.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous reply, we towed our 2010 Prius 4 on a 2015 Acme dolly until we got a car we could tow 4 down. I would expect your Prius to have the same clearance as mine as they are the same generation. When pulling up on the dolly the clearance was minimal and sometimes we would get a small bit of scrapping but no damage was ever done and we were always able to pull on the dolly without the need for any aids to increase the clearance. I did use a drop draw bar to get the tongue at the recommended height.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #25

I've Gotta Toad!

After a rain delay, we successfully got the 2016 Prius on the car dolly and did a test drive today! Had to use a 4" drop hitch and we also replaced the plug for the lights. The test drive which consisted of street driving and on a highway went very well. The eyebolt solution worked well too so no stuggling with safety chains under the car with me on the ground. Once I get the hang of this, it should go almost as smooth as flat towing, at least that's my hope.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #26

Well, toad and towed is no longer virgin! We just got back from a 350 mile round trip to East Texas. No problems and I would never know I was towing except when looking at my backup camera. We had to adjust the straps coming and going but easy-peasy. Dolly towing is work especially when it's 100 degrees in Texas, meaning strapping down etc.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Well, toad and towed is no longer virgin! We just got back from a 350 mile round trip to East Texas. No problems and I would never know I was towing except when looking at my backup camera. We had to adjust the straps coming and going but easy-peasy. Dolly towing is work especially when it's 100 degrees in Texas, meaning strapping down etc.
It gets easier as you become more accustomed to the steps. It'll never be as easy as 4-down, but then, you didn't have to buy another car
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #28

Smart! And to think I've been laying down on the ground running chains under the car. I'm going to look in to this too. Thanks for mentioning. it.
This was meant for twinboat mentioning the vinyl coated through the wheels.
mee
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, led, tow, tow dolly