Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Pulling a Wrangler with a Breeze

I just ordered a new Allegro Breeze and expect to take delivery in the next 30 days. I want to flat tow my Jeep Wrangler 4-door and wondered if anyone had experience with that combination. I'm thinking I'm OK since the Wrangler (4-door Sahara) weights 4300#, which is within the weight limit of the Breeze. Just hoping someone has experience to share.
Thanks.
rcsrcs948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!!

Jeeps of all types are one of the most popular flat tow toads, as the 4x4 versions are easy to setup. Various options for equipment - whether to install a base plate or a aftermarket bumper adapted for direct tow bar connection, etc.

Suggest that you use the search feature - as this is a oft discussed topic and there is a wealth of existing threads.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2012 Breeze 28BR and tow a 2012 Wrangler Sport (2dr.) During the past year I've logged about 18,000 miles without a problem.
I'm using a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and base plate. In order to get the tow bar level correct, I also had to use a drop/rise receiver. My brake set-up is an M&G, which taps into the air brake system and is very easy to connect. The company that installed everything used diodes for my toad lighting-- no issues at all.
Given that the 2013 Breeze has a bit more power and torque, I would imagine it would pull a Wrangler Unlimited without a problem.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No problem!
passerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv:new jeep.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	36538
passerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Thanks for all of your info. I have the Blue Ox and base plate installed, and I made the tow once using my Winnebago ERA class B diesel. It seemed to tow just fine. We are upgrading to the Breeze to get more elbow room - just too small for us. My concern was the overall tow limit. The Breeze has a GCVR of 26k and a GVWR of 22k which only rates for a 4,000 # tow - if I understand it correctly. That would seem to be on the hairy edge since the Wrangler Unlimited has a curb weight of 4277 (heavier than the 2 dr version).
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Breeze

Hi
Wife and I have also purchased Breeze 32BR. We had to order it and it has come in and we are to pick it up Friday. We are going to tow a Jeep Wrangler 2dr. I went with the Blue Ox and a RVIbrake set up.
I was able to test drive ours yesterday. With only 240hp it is not a fireball but I think it will be fine towing for us just slower getting up to speed. I also think at cruising speed it will be ok and able to recover cruising speed in a reasonable time from elevation changes (small hills) on the hwys. The Breeze seems to have tremendous set of brakes. It was very windy yesterday and driving into the wind I drove up to 70 mph and observed it working a little harder to maintain speed but was very pleased in how the bus just barely moved around in the wind. Coming back with a tail wind no problems at all.
I also have a friend that was traveling in his 40ft Phaeton yesterday and he said the wind blew him around a lot.
We will travel some with 2 40 ft MHs. These guys drive hard and fast so most of the time I think we will just meet them at the end of the day rather than trying to drive 75+ on the superslab. From other Breeze owners saving $75+ per day in fuel compared to larger Mhs is pretty nice. I am guessing 60 to 65 mph is going to be comfortable for me towing. Reports form others 9.5 + mpg seems to be real.
Hope you enjoy and let me know if I can help.
ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Breeze

By the way,
We also had a 2012 ERA that we traded for the Breeze. I loved the ERA but not the wife so much. With her I mean us it is all about our 3 weenie dogs and in the ERA they had no floor space to play in.
ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Only have looked at 32 Breezes so far, but going for test drive this weekend. We plan to tow our '13 2dr Wrangler Sport. Trading up from our beloved Class B Airstream Sprinter. Still could go for a 33 Red or less likely a Tiffin gasser. To be continued...
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

I used the Blue Ox Patriot system for braking on the Jeep. It is not wired into the RV brakes, but senses brake activity due to motion and then sends a radio message to the Patriot system to apply the brakes in the Jeep. Strange, but it works.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Yeah, we had a medium sized dog and the 3 of us didn't fit so well in the ERA. Plus, at 64, I was tired of crawling out of bed in the morning. I think the Breeze will fit our needs really well. I must say the ERA was a high quality vehicle and it towed my Jeep without any problems. But wind and semi's were a real struggle on the Interstates. Having test driven a Breeze, I don't think it will be as much of a problem. Good luck with your new unit.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #12

Jeeps are great toads! Enjoy the test drive.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
[QUOTE=rcsrcs948;1523841... The Breeze has a GCVR of 26k and a GVWR of 22k which only rates for a 4,000 # tow - if I understand it correctly. That would seem to be on the hairy edge since the Wrangler Unlimited has a curb weight of 4277 (heavier than the 2 dr version).[/QUOTE]

The 22k is the maximum weight allowed for the rig and everything you put in it. If you put less stuff in it, you'll get back some of that 5,000 lb tow capacity.

Load it up with all your travel stuff, fill the fuel and water tank, then go weigh it. If your weight is anything less than the 22k lb GVWR you can add that difference to your 4,000 (up to a maximum of 5k, regardless).
If your weight exceeds 22k lbs, then that is an entirely different problem.

I think you may find that the 4277 quoted for the Jeep's weight a bit optimistic. The hard top, for example, adds weight. Anything you put and leave in the Jeep adds weight. I always figure about 4,500 lbs for ours.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Others have covered most of the info you need. For what it may be worth just wanted to add that we have been towing a '95 Wrangler for several years behind a small Class C 22 foot gasser that had a relatively small engine. The key was to stay within the total combined weight limit. It worked very well. We've recently sold the Class C and ordered a Newmar Canyon Star. Today we went to test drive a new 2013 Wrangler (2dr) and loved it. I think we'll buy a used 2012 as our "new" toad. We've got our eyes on one. It is very similar to the current model year. We have considered other toads but this will be the 4th Jeep for us. But, at the end of the day you are the one who has to be happy with your toad. Good luck and many happy years with your new setup...whatever it may be.
LongDogRanch is offline   Reply With Quote