Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pushing surge brake equipped dolly backwards

When I purchased my Stehl a hand dolly was included:

And I am wondering if I can move the Stehl dolly backwards the way it is configured. The dolly does not have a brake cutout as my previous Acme did.

I am thinking the only way I can push it backwards would be to put the ball (male) on the dolly tongue and replace the ball on the hand dolly with a coupler (female).

This way I will not be engaging the dolly brakes when moving it backwards.

I know I can move it backwards with the handle but I would have to crouch to move it in this manner else the ramps will drag.

Nyone else solved this problem?
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #2

If its like my Stehl Tow coupler, take the 1/4" hitch lock pin out of the place it supposed to go and stick it in the hole on the left side of the coupler.

That blocks the coupler from sliding and applying the brakes. I wouldn't do it with a car on it, but pushing by hand or garden tractor is fine.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Do you have a 'lock out key' or a place to insert a pin?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

I have a wheel on the front of my dolly that I can drop down to move it by hand. I cant really back up very well with the car on the dolly, but if I want to, it has a spot I can put the safety pin in to stop the brakes from engaging in reverse. The wheel kit is easy to install. Paul from the Motorhome Experiment has the same wheel kit as me. Mine has a slightly larger wheel that is solid so no air is required. Hauling around the unit you have would be much harder. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the answer, Old-Biscuit and twinboat. Yes there is a hole on the left side, I did not know what it was for. winniman- the hand dolly will be used in place of a wheel mounted on the tongue. The dolly works well pulling and turning but the brakes engaged when I pushed it backwards so placing the locking pin in the hole (that I did not know what it was for) should solve my problem.

Thanks again for the replies.

I do like the Acme feature and I think Stehl should adopt a solution like that. If Acme still made their dolly where the ratchets had lateral movement I would have been fine keeping mine.

After I bought the Stehl there was an older style Acme dolly with ratchets that moved and steel ramps as well for sale locally on Craigs List
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

That is my whole point. The wheel kit doesn't put any pressure on the coupling, so therefore doesn't apply the brakes when pushing backwards. The wheel locks up out of the way. Just saying, it would be much easier than carrying around a dolly cart. Mine is very easy to push around, just like Paul in the utube video.

Tags
brake, dolly