Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #1

quality toad

First off, happy thanksgiving all.

I need the experts advice again! I bought my wife a jeep liberty 2x without doing due diligence and found out that I can't tow it 4 down.. Costly mistake! I'm going to trade it in next week and I need vehicle options to tow 4 down.

I have a large crew, so we would like a med. SUV. maybe toyota highlander, nissan x terra, hyndai santa fe. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Josh.

04 Newmar Dutchstar 4025
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Check out Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing guide for towable vehicles.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you need room, the GMC Acadia has 3 seats, seats 8 very comfortable . we use with no isssues at all
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
paz

Josh, I don't think any of the vehicles you mention are towable without modification. Check the Dinghy Towing Guide as Route 66 suggests. The suggestion by majfrizz of the GMC Acadia (or the sister vehicle the Chevy Traverse) is a good one. These vehicles are both available with 3 rows of seats and both are towable 4 down. They are available as FWD or AWD, and they have a long list of options.

For something a little smaller check out the 2010 GMC Terrain or Chevy Equinox. Caution: The Equinox may or may not be towable in prior model years.

As always, check the owners manual to make sure any vehicle is towable. Don't take the salesman's word for it. Look for a section called "Recreational Towing."
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on the Acadia and the 2010 Equoinox, all you have to do is pull one fuse and go. currently there is no factory incentives on the Equinox being it is new and selling good.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dportem View Post
First off, happy thanksgiving all.

I need the experts advice again! I bought my wife a jeep liberty 2x without doing due diligence and found out that I can't tow it 4 down.. Costly mistake! I'm going to trade it in next week and I need vehicle options to tow 4 down.

I have a large crew, so we would like a med. SUV. maybe toyota highlander, nissan x terra, hyndai santa fe. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Josh.

04 Newmar Dutchstar 4025
Happy Thanksgiving to you also,
I am on my second Jeep Wrangler and I love the new JK unlimited (4 door) which I purchased in March of this year. Since it does not have steering lock you can tow 4 down without the key or pulling fuses (2009 models). It tows great and what my wife and I like about the 4 door is it has room and rides alot better that the 2 door. We like to Fly fish and explore and we can go just about anywere we want in comfort.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
If you like Jeeps, how about the Commander. Make sure you get the proper 4 wheel drive system. They have three but only two can be towed 4 down. We have a Commander but tow a Colorado Crew because it's lighter.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply's. We spent all night last night on the dinghy reviews. Great information. We like the ford explorer and will call friday to find out how much the newtral tow kit costs. Also the nissan x terra, but hard to find the manual trans. Then we have the saturn vue awd.

Friday will be a long day. Thanks for all the replys. Josh
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dportem View Post
We like the ford explorer and will call friday to find out how much the newtral tow kit costs.
No more than $150 or you're getting hosed,

It takes 1 hour total..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

The 4 dr Jeep 4 wheel drive series are great. My roadmaster towing setup, all terain alum tow bar, cabling, Jeep brackets, tow shield, etc cost a little less than $1000. M&G air brake system with break away about $1200. Plenty of room for 2 adults and 3 grandkids in car seats, with cargo space left over.
As you can tell I'm a happy camper!!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tale a look at the Ford Flex. Lots of room, very comfortable, three rows of seats and with the third row of seats folded down, a great place for the dogs. The Flex is towable with no modification other than the addition of a base plate and tail light wiring.

We've towed our about 10,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Easy to tow - hook it up, transmission in neutral and key in accessory. We also had a US Gear toad braking system installed. Works great.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
glennb100, does the miles rack up on the speedo?
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Desert RV. I have the 2009 with 12000 mi. driven and 5000 mi. towed. I use the blue ox for towing and the US gear brake. Great combination. No problems towing.

The miles do not rack up on the speedo. The 2010 comes with a Eco booster for more power and better mileage.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If you like the Liberty enough to buy it in the first place, why not get a 4WD Liberty? No mods needed to tow one of those.

Ford Edge is another good SUV toad - no mods or fuses to pull.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote