Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
That is good to know since I don't tow at night and the harnesses were on sale for 56.00 bucks and no switch I have to remember to throw. I will check but I think you're wrong and my accessory plug stays on till the Jeep goes to sleep.
You may be confusing this with power accessory delay. This feature leaves power on to the radio, power windows, accessory power outlet, etc. after the key is turned to the OFF position. Power accessory delay is canceled when a door is opened. This is different than "sleep state".
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I have been towing a 2020 JL with led lights and start/stop using the Mopar wiring harness. So far no issues. Now I will test and see if the lights wake up.
Yes, there have been many people with the Mopar harness chiming in on the Jeep forums with the battery drain issue.

We've devised an easy test to check to see if your Jeep is awake (and drawing current). Before exiting your Jeep, roll down the driver's side window, get out and shut the door. After 3-5 minutes, you can reach in through the open window and press the brake pedal with a broomstick handle. If the rear brake lights do not illuminate, the Jeep is asleep.

If you want to verify the problem that I have described, wait until the next time you have your Jeep connected to the motorhome. Connect it as you usually would. Once it is all connected, perform the broomstick test. The rear brake lights will not illuminate. Now, operate one of the turn signals in the coach (which will invoke the Jeep's turn signal). Right after you do this, repeat the broomstick test. The Jeep's brake lights will illuminate indicating that the Jeep is now awake.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Unless you have installed the bypass on the fuse box, your front 12v is not going to remain active after the jeep sleeps. The bypass converts it from ignition source to battery source.
OP here... The easiest solution for this issue is to run a 12V extension cord from the 12V outlet in the rear cargo compartment to power the braking system. According to the owner's manual that outlet is wired directly to the battery. Ours is an Unlimited model. Not sure if the lower JL models have that outlet in the cargo compartment.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
The breakaway system will not function without power. You need the 12 volt battery in the circuit for this to happen.

Just like with trailer brakes a small 12volt motorcycle battery could be used to handle those duties. If you have a dead battery in the jeep the breakaway system will not work anyhow. A dead battery also would mean the brake system would not be working either, by powering the systems independent of the towed vehicle, theoretically you ensure the system always works as long as it is connected to the tow vehicle.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Just like with trailer brakes a small 12volt motorcycle battery could be used to handle those duties. If you have a dead battery in the jeep the breakaway system will not work anyhow. A dead battery also would mean the brake system would not be working either, by powering the systems independent of the towed vehicle, theoretically you ensure the system always works as long as it is connected to the tow vehicle.
While that is true, a charge line from the coach solves all of that. On my Buick Enclave I don't even take the fuses out when towing. Without a charge line the electronics in the car will drain the battery down too far. While I have an Invisibrake I do not use their trickle charge wiring .
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, charging, tow, towing