Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #1

Question about toads, need some advice.

A little background, the wife and I are in the process (research stage) of purchasing a Class A Motorhome. We have narrowed it down to a Winnebago 29M or 35M, both are gas. In an earlier life we had a popup that we used quite often but then life got in the way. Anyway, my question concerns towing a vehicle behind the motorhome. In our research it seems that the majority prefer to tow 4 down instead of a dolly. Our current vehicle situation is a 2016 Toyota Highlander and a 2018 GMC Sierra. The GMC is too heavy to tow behind the motorhome. The Toyota weighed 4392 lbs. yesterday afternoon at the local grain elevator with a full tank of gas and my wife’s collection of stuff. I also stopped by the Toyota dealership yesterday and they basically said they do not make a truck (Tacoma) that can be towed without taking the drive shaft off. Then in researching I discover the new Ford Ranger can be towed 4 down if 4-wheel drive and it weighs approximately 4400 lbs. according to Google. With that being said the Toyota is paid for and my wife’s car, we are not interested in selling it at this point in time. The GMC is my vehicle and if we decide to go with a vehicle, we can tow 4 down it will be sold/traded. I will be retiring for the second time next year and we anticipate spending approximately 6 months on the road for 2 years at least. My wife and I will be in our late 50’s at the time and fairly healthy, once I get this knee replaced next month. I anticipate most of our travels will be in the southern portion of the states with maybe one run through Montana, SD and ND just to saw we went. I’ve researched the argument of Diesel vs Gas and believe we will be happy with the Gas. My question concerns towing 4 down vs. dolly, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each. If you have used one way and changed to the other what was the reason behind the change. Any other advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
depmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We've used a tow dolly. I think they are great for someone that moves once or twice a year.
I'm retiring this year and we are going to go with 4 down (flat tow) just because it's more convenient after initial setup costs.

You probably already know of these two places but here they are if not;

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

p.s. I don't think anyone that gets a knee replaced needs to be crawling around hooking up a tow dolly. Treat yourself …… you deserve it.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Paragraphs!
Search function: will provide hours of reading on dolly vs 4 flat.
TLDR: Dolly requires more physical work connecting/disconnecting, laying on the ground, etc and takes more time hooking up. Many people that started dolly towing switched to 4 down and never looked back.

Opinion: in your 50's you may be up to the rigors of dolly towing but as you age 4 down looks much better.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #4

We looked at dolly's for about 10 minutes before deciding to go 4-down. I can hook up and be driving in 5 minutes where as a dolly requires (if you're good) about 30. Now consider no matter what the weather you have to spend that 30 minutes on th ground tying down the car. That was a big negative to us.

I don't know a whole lot about the vehicles that you have access to, so I can't really comment there. I hear you on the "paid for". We had just bought a car (automatic) for my wife's commute and really lost our a$$ when we traded it for a 6-speed that could be towed 4-down.

Have you considered looking for a good used car that could be towed and use that exclusively for when you are out in the RV. I know Jeep's are not cheap but fun. We see a lot of MX-5's out in the parks (not sure how they tow them since they are rwd). We're in a Mini Roadster S (convertible) as our toad. Older Honda (whatever their smaller suv is are able to be towed). It could save a lot of time and $ if you could find one that is already setup to tow?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

We load our Ridgeline on our dolly in about 5 minutes.
We also never lay or kneel on the ground to do it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have been towing my 2010 Ranger that I bought new for 8 years now with our gasser (8.1 W24 and previously 454 P30)

I had the brilliant idea to switch to a tow dolly and pull my wife's Mazda 3 a couple years ago.

We used it once, and it was straight back to the Ranger.

Anyone want a great deal on a tow dolly?

It is just so much easier to hook up the Ranger to flat tow, I don't know what I was thinking.

That's just my experience, yours may vary.

I don't have any mobility problems, so that wasn't the case.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #7

I appreciate everyone’s responses and look forward to additional ones. I’m hoping the knee replacement will alleviate any mobility issues I might have once PT is done.

The idea of a dedicated toad is attractive but not something that interest me really. I would have to get rid of my golf cart for a third vehicle to fit in my garage.

I guess I’ll stop by and take a look at the new Ford Ranger at some point.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a front wheel drive car, a tow dolly is great. No modifications to the car is necessary as lights and brakes are supplied by the dolly. It is no big trick to put the car on the dolly and strap it down. I use this one: https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...lies/karkaddy3 Disc Brakes, LED lights, and autosteer makes it a breeze around corners. Plus it takes the wear and tear off of the drive gear of the car.
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flat tow 4 down is where it is at. Yes you have to ensure you Toad can be towed 4 down so don't trust the dealer. Read the Owner's manual and pay close attention to what engine and drive train you must have. You can research a lot of the possible ones on the internet thru the dealer website so you don't have to run all over town to each dealer.
Also decide what type of brake system you want installed, permanent or portable, you will also need some sort of charge line to the battery and some sort of hook up for lights on the toad. Personally look at Hopkins Towing Solutions for a cut free install of the brake, turn, and park lights.
Depending on the type braking system yo have installed in the Toad will depend on what extras are needed in the MH so talk to others, go to RV shows, ask around and ask to see other setups.
Happy Toad Hunting
Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #10

I really appreciate all the advice, between this thread and the search function I am educating myself. I think this week I will take a look at a couple new vehicles that can be towed 4 down. I wish the option of a 3rd car was a viable option but we live in a community that prefers cars to be in the garage which I agree with. I do appreciate the advice so far.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Remember, IRV2 has a classified section that usually includes a number of toads for sale all set up and ready to go, all vintages (prices).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toad, toads