Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
You might want to also read some Jeep forums. From what I had gathered some months ago, that after 2005 or so there was a plug-in at the fuse box I think it was, that Jeep provided just to run your signal and stop lights as a Toad. If I had a later model that is the route I'd go, plus I'd use a plug & cable between the MH and Jeep that carried the charge power too, and keep your Jeep battery full while towing.

Both those tow bars are fine, and really don't have anything to do with how you run your lights, that is likely just what the installer is suggesting. Blue Ox is stopping production on the 10K lb Aventa LX (BX7445), so there are some good prices out there on the ones still in stock. I bought one to replace my older Alexus bar (same design).

What are your plans for brakes on the Toad?

Good luck,
Scott
I was considering the Air Force One but was told that if they install it on my Jeep, when I trade in the Jeep I will not be able to take it off and use it on my next vehicle and will have to buy an entire new system so I'm considering a portable such as the Blue Ox Patriot II or Brake Buddy Classic II or Select II. I need to do more research on the differences.
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
I was considering the Air Force One but was told that if they install it on my Jeep, when I trade in the Jeep I will not be able to take it off and use it on my next vehicle and will have to buy an entire new system so I'm considering a portable such as the Blue Ox Patriot II or Brake Buddy Classic II or Select II. I need to do more research on the differences.
I thought I saw on here where the Air force one could be moved from vehicle to vehicle. That is what I plan to purchase with it starting out on a Ford Exploder then moving it to my 17 F150 when it gets off lease
cjthedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post

It took me about 10 minutes to remove the AF1 from my CRV and will install it in my new JL Rubicon. Not a difficult project to either remove or install.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #18

I installed a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 on my Jeep and I think it would be pretty easy to move it to another vehicle. The driver's brake air ram takes seconds to install or take out, 2 bolts hold the brake-away cylinder under the hood and a bolt each for the air connect and brake-away switch on the bumper...

As a number of folks have mentioned: It isn't trivial to set up ANY vehicle to be towed 4 down. It's the braking system, the lights, the tow bar attachment. I wouldn't buy any of the "brake in a box" units personally...

Pretty happy with how proportional the Brakemaster is: it completely mimics what you are doing with the Coach's brakes... Lots of people seem to like the Air Force One and M&G units too...

Motor Homing in general is just not an inexpensive thing -- the handier you are, the more you can pick and choose what you are willing to spend your time on versus your money on (to have someone else do "it")...

Scott
Old 05-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #19

It's pretty simple with the Hopkins adapter kit to wire the lights on a Jeep. As someone else mentioned the hardest part is running the wires to the front.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
I'm about to buy either a Roadmaster SterlingAT or Nighthawk, primarily due to the non-binding releases. But "Made in USA" means a lot to me, too. I'll be using their diode kit for lights. The baseplate install is a bit daunting on the Cadillac SRX, but I'll get it. I have not decided on a brake system, yet.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #21

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/which...it-284089.html
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow