Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Ram brake wiring

Toad will be a 2020 Ram 1500 and I'm going to install the Blue Ox bases plate, already have the Blue Ox Avail tow bar. Researching brake light wiring and looking for suggestions. On my previous Wrangler I used Hopkins and found it relatively to install and worked well. I'm leaning towards the RVi brake system. Don't know if I'm going to need a charge line so looking for recommendations. I'd rather not get a wiring system that puts an extra bulb in the tail light housing.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #2

I'd STRONGLY recommend a charge line. Regardless of how efficient the toad braking system is as far as power used, you will still be draining power from the toad battery during the whole tow day. Your toad battery may be able to handle that power drain, but if you end up in a situation where where you must go multiple days without being able to recharge the toad, a charge line is a must. Very easy to install. A 10ga wire from the +12v pole on the RV 7 pin plug to the toad battery with a 20 or 25A fuse as close to the toad battery +12 terminal as possible. I've been using this setup on 3 class A's I've owned since 2005. Around 225,000 tow miles. The fancy charge controllers are ALL less efficient and serve no real purpose other than draining your wallet.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I'd STRONGLY recommend a charge line. Regardless of how efficient the toad braking system is as far as power used, you will still be draining power from the toad battery during the whole tow day. Your toad battery may be able to handle that power drain, but if you end up in a situation where where you must go multiple days without being able to recharge the toad, a charge line is a must. Very easy to install. A 10ga wire from the +12v pole on the RV 7 pin plug to the toad battery with a 20 or 25A fuse as close to the toad battery +12 terminal as possible. I've been using this setup on 3 class A's I've owned since 2005. Around 225,000 tow miles. The fancy charge controllers are ALL less efficient and serve no real purpose other than draining your wallet.
That will be easy enough to do. A question about the RVi brake system There is an add-on TPMS with 10 sensor set up. I have an older EEZtire that I had connectivity issues the last 2 trips with a 5th wheel. Any experience with the RVi system and issues with the TPMS?
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Not familiar with the RVi system, but my setup requires a re-transmitter to get all the toad readings. We put it in the rear clothes closet with a shutoff switch so it's not constantly on. Been working fine for over 110,000 miles on the 2013 Bus
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, wiring