Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

RAV 4 Dolly Tow

My owners manual says I can tow my FWD RAV4, two wheels down. The problem is I can't put the thing in Neutral and shut it down. By that I mean I can shut off the engine, but not the electrical system.
So I drive it up on the dolly, put it in Park and shut it off, no problem. Then I strap it and chain it down.
That's where it gets tricky. I can't tow in Park of course so I put it in neutral, and sure enough it shuts down. But the instant I open the door, the electrical system springs to life and I get a audible warning. I've towed it just like that but it runs the battery down. All kind of scary warnings come up after I recharge the battery.
Should I disconnect the battery?
RVHillbillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #2

Why can't you tow a FWD vehicle in Park on a dolly? Never heard of such a thing.

I towed a Saturn Vue (same as Chevy Equinox) on a tow dolly in park. No, you can't set the parking brake. But once it is strapped to the dolly, no need for a parking brake.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I dolly towed all my fwd cars in park. Why do you think “of course” you can’t . Park locks the front wheels on a fwd … that’s perfect ! You want the front wheels imobile.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #4

You can't dolly tow with the parking brake on but there is no reason not to have the transmission in park.

I've dolly towed 3 different FWD cars in 9 years, all were in Park.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHillbillE View Post
My owners manual says I can tow my FWD RAV4, two wheels down. The problem is I can't put the thing in Neutral and shut it down. By that I mean I can shut off the engine, but not the electrical system.
Is it possible you are thinking the acronym FWD stands for FOUR WHEEL DRIVE instead of FRONT WHEEL DRIVE? Assuming everyone interprets an acronym the same can lead to trouble. I have seen some people have used FWD when 4WD is the more commonly used acronym for FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.
FWD on a tow dolly without modifications, usually [emoji106]
4WD on a tow dolly without modifications, usually [emoji107]
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #6

What model year is your RAV4?

I agree with others. I don't see why you can't dolly tow it in "park" ...does the owner's manual specifically say to put it in neutral?

(I believe Toyota uses the acronyms as it pertains to the RAV4 as 2WD and AWD ...therefore, less chance for confusion, lol --but the bad part when doing that is it creates another confusion if 2WD stand for RWD or FWD ...we know, but it could be confusing for some)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #7

Yeah, just put it in park and you are good to go, I have a fwd that's what I do just don't put the parking brake on.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHillbillE View Post
So I drive it up on the dolly, put it in Park and shut it off, no problem. Then I strap it and chain it down.
That's where it gets tricky. I can't tow in Park of course so I put it in neutral, and sure enough it shuts down. But the instant I open the door, the electrical system springs to life and I get a audible warning. I've towed it just like that but it runs the battery down. All kind of scary warnings come up after I recharge the battery.
Should I disconnect the battery?
We towed our Front wheel drive RAV4 for thousands upon thousands of miles on a dolly in park. The front wheels don't turn, so it's not an issue. All wheel drive would be a different issue. The rear wheels turning on the front wheel drive model is perfectly fine.

Don't tow it with the ignition on, or you'll screw up your traction control.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #9

FWD has always been Front Wheel Drive..
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
FWD has always been Front Wheel Drive..
In the US maybe sometime after the 1929 Cord L-29 and the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado became available to the American public. Plenty of folks who aren't into cars could probably just as easily assume FWD stood for Four Wheel Drive as Front Wheel Drive.
Here's a quote with some good advice.
"Never say always and never say never."
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
In the US maybe sometime after the 1929 Cord L-29 and the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado became available to the American public. Plenty of folks who aren't into cars could probably just as easily assume FWD stood for Four Wheel Drive as Front Wheel Drive.
Here's a quote with some good advice.
"Never say always and never say never."
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
That's why I spell out "Front wheel drive"; no room for confusion.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #12

There are some things that just can't be fixed! This is way beyond duct tape.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

And if FWD was "four wheel drive", then it couldn't be dolly-towed at all. Only the front-drive Rav4 is dolly-towable and yes it should be in Park to do so.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #14

My FWD stands for front wheel drive

Every vehicle I have owned over the last 50 years had a parking brake, a pedal on the floor to set it and a handle to release it. This car does not have a pedal or a release. It's automatic and I don't know how to release it when in park.
RVHillbillE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow