Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

RBE tow bar

I decided to go with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system for my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trying to avoid a box that sits on the floor board during travel and the simplicity/price savings were all factors.

I purchased it off of Amazon and took the Jeep to an RV shop...I asked them to install a Blue Ox base plate/wire harness/and the brake cable.

The base plate/wire harness is now installed, but the shop called me and said that the Jeep has a 5.7 Hemi engine and it is *really* cramped in there. They said maybe they could get it done, but it would involve removing some exhaust components and maybe more - couldn't really give me an estimate on how many hours it may take.

I've decided to go with the Blue Ox Patriot system (or I'm open to other suggestions) so we don't have to go thru the firewall to get a cable to the brake pedal.

Now I'm left with the RBE tow bar that I have already purchased. Can I still use this with the patriot electric brake and just not hook up the brake cable? Trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of packing it back up and returning.

Thoughts/advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

You might want to call the folks at NSA. 620-365-7714 They're pretty helpful folks.

Here's a video you may want to share with your installation folks. I found it on the NSA web site. Your vehicle may be different too. I bet the NSA folks could help with that also. I doubt you're the first one to want install a RBE on that particular vehicle.

https://youtu.be/QpOEY3gFESg
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

I'm curious as to what the issue is as all they have to do is run the brake cable(s) back to the pedal through the firewall. Are they telling you the there is no room to route the cable?? I am assuming you are also installing the emergency breakaway cable too?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

My only comment is that Amazon has partnered with Kohl’s for returns. What I read yesterday was you can walk in with a product and it’s original packing and drop it off. They’ll pack and ship it for you.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/367944/ev...amazon-returns
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I'm curious as to what the issue is as all they have to do is run the brake cable(s) back to the pedal through the firewall. Are they telling you the there is no room to route the cable?? I am assuming you are also installing the emergency breakaway cable too?
After watching the video and reading the other comments - I'm thinking I just need to find another place. I let them order the base plate, but the parts for the RBE was about $500 more so I bought it myself. I think they just didn't want to do it since they didn't get to sell me the part. I also ordered the brakeaway kit and made that available to them as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsimrv View Post
After watching the video and reading the other comments - I'm thinking I just need to find another place. I let them order the base plate, but the parts for the RBE was about $500 more so I bought it myself. I think they just didn't want to do it since they didn't get to sell me the part. I also ordered the brakeaway kit and made that available to them as well.
This.

Can't be that much more cramped than my 2015 Focus. If I did my install with a cramp in the back, one bum knee and both hips that hurt all the time they can. They just don't want to do the job because once they took a look they saw it wasn't going to be a profit maker.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #7

I've installed two on wranglers, probably a bit more room than yours, but it's really not that hard, I think they were feeding you a line (might be a pun in there).

Just avoid sharp bends.

Tags
tow