Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Re My New Brake Buddy

I recently bought a brake buddy and it has two settings one is (Proportional)
I don't have it in front of me but I believe it might be (Direct or something of that nature)
I was wondering what setting most people run? I am not talking about air pressure for the weight of the vehicle towed.

I'm talking just about the type of application you are able to set.

I understand the two terms and Proportional Braking is where I would like to set it. But I have a concern about wearing the brakes on the toad on long down hill grades.

I would like to know what others are doing.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I put my Brake Buddy on the floor well of the passenger seat and took it for a drive. I was able to pick a sensitivity level that has served us well for 1,000's of miles. Give it a try, you might be able to decide what settings are best for your vehicle. By decreasing the sensitivity, you shouldn't have problems with the brakes being applied too long going down a grade, unless you're doing the same in the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm not familiar with the Triple E line of motorhomes, but if yours has an engine brake, that's what we use on downgrades to save on use of brakes. We also have a Brake Buddy & adjust the proportional setting number based on the terrain on which we're driving.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a different supplemental brake system, so I don't know the answer either, but I would think the proportional setting would be my preference, as the Full Braking setting would definitely put more wear on the toads break system.

I posted below what it says on the Break Buddy web site, but I didn't see any reference as to when to use which setting. Generally, I think the toads are such a minimal amount of weight that the aux breaking is almost a non factor, but its the law. I would use proportional setting unless possibly when going down a steep grade and the engine brake wasnt able to keep me at a comfortable speed.

The only portable auxiliary braking system that allows you to choose between Full and Proportional braking technology at the touch of a button.

Full Braking:removes the entire weight of the towed vehicle when stopping

Proportional Braking:
mirrors the braking action of the motorhome

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
...Generally, I think the toads are such a minimal amount of weight that the aux breaking is almost a non factor, but its the law. I would use proportional setting unless possibly when going down a steep grade and the engine brake wasn't able to keep me at a comfortable speed...
I suggest you try the following: Go to a large open space, like a parking lot, and release the brakes in your auto. Push it until you have it going walking speed. Then run around to the front and try to stop it.

You'll discover the effort far more than you thought. It's not only the legal requirement (law), but a law of physics.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the proportional brake systems are more expensive and a Brake Buddy with a proportional option is a recent (last few years) addition to their braking systems. Do a little research or call them. They're nice folks. I've used a Brake Buddy for a dozen years and have received support both paid and goodwill. The more I've learned about how the Brake Buddy works the less issues I've had with it.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies!
I am going to take everybody's advice into consideration.
And I do believe the proportional setting is going to be the best.

I had contacted Buddy and asked the question about which setting was best for what condition. I never got a reply.

Yes I do believe the Proportional one is newer. But very expensive $1800 Canadian. But worth the extra margin of safety.

Brake Buddy did promptly replace the wrong break away cable that was in the box by mistake.

Weather is getting warmer and we are itchy to get going.
Thank You
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased our brake buddy vantage and will use the proportional setting for sure. I am going to start half way and go from there. Our first long trip starts Friday so we will see. Going from New Jersey to Tennessee and then on to Louisiana I am confident I will end up with something around 5 or maybe less. I agree with the other posters in that it should not be needed that often. These systems are most important in sudden stop situations. That is when you need the breaking to work and work well. The rest of the time I think the device is just there ready to act when needed. Time will tell 🙂

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake