Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Ready Brake Elite Problem?

Don't know if it is something wrong with the Ready Brake Elite towbar or me. I seem to have a hard time getting the arms to lock in the extended position. today I drove around the RV resort we stayed at about 5 times trying different turns etc. Finally stopped and unhooked the side not locking extended as it was wanting to lock n the collapsed state, pulled out some rehooked and backed the car up turning the wheels untill it finaly locked. Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here’s what I do with my Ready Brute Elite.
Hookup
SLOWLY backup until the arms (one or both) click
Put in towing mode (assume you know how)
If both arms clicked, good to go!
If one arm clicked, turn steering wheel towards the non-clicked arm.
When you take off, the wheels will steer towards the shorter arm and the arm will lengthen until it clicks. Then the wheels will start tracking correctly.
This works flawlessly for me every time.

Hope this helps.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't say how old your ReadyBrute is but the newer ones have zerk fittings for a grease gun. Are you lubing the arms before each trip? I give mine a few squirts before a long trip and have never had a problem with the arms not locking.
Maybe give NSA a call, they can probably advise what the issue is and how to fix it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Mine has the zerks, and I do grease them. I think I am getting to frustrated while doing this and I just need to slow down and work through it. I will try what les.warden suggested when I have to hook up again in two days. Which way do I have the levers turned when trying to lock? To the side or paralell to the arms?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ready Brake Elite Problem?

To the side when UNlocked. I always point mine towards the toad to LOCK.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for ya. Safe travels!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

We put the levers perpendicular to the bar hook up, put the levers parallel to the bar and drive. We can feel them lock in the MH.

Originaly we would fool around trying to get them to lock before driving and then discovered we didn't need to worry about that, driving woud lock them, If we don't feel them lock we will pull over and double check. They have always locked.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Sue46, that is how I thought it should work, but for some reason ours do not and as said last time drove around the RV park 5 times before getting it to work.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The arms lock in an almost fully extended position, so when hooking up we park our toad back far enough that we have to extend the tow bar arms fully to reach our toad. Then it's just a matter of moving the toad, I back up first, and then move forward to lock the arms. So far no problems doing it this way.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

Let's get down to basics. Is the Ready Brake new or used? Did you install it or someone else? Have you tallked to NSA? Why don't you post some pictures?

I honestly never heard of any problems with the system. We have had ours for 3 years now and never a problem other than the ones we cause ourselves.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

I just back up the toad until at least one arm locks. Then turn the wheel side to side several times and eventually the other arm will lock. If you connect at a severe angle this might not work but I'm usually pretty close to having the toad and motorhome lined up together.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The only time I've had an issue is when on a downhill slope. When that is the case, I follow the procedure Les noted but I leave the toad emergency brake on, pull the coach forward a few feet and then release the toad emergency brake.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #12

I do most of what the others above have stated. Also, I try to line up square as possible to the RV and back far enough that they almost lock when I extend and connect. I back the jeep up a little to lock them before putting in tow mode. At least one always locks and the other locks soon after upon pulling away. There is (are) you tube video posted by NSA I believe on which way to turn to lock. I agree with Sue above, check the basics, it should not be giving you that much difficulty.

Are you within the level tolerances stated by NSA....2”-3” I believe. Higher/lower you could be binding. Check the locking mechanisms without the toad attached to be sure they are working properly. Red levers perpendicular for extending/connecting, parallel for locking.

I have rest stops about an hour away from me in each direction so I always pull in for a quick check before heading out. Good Luck!
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I won't be hooking up again until Friday and I will post back how it went. I think I have it down now>
Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
Thank you Les, I used your directions when hooking up my ReadyBrute Elite and turning the wheel towards the arm that did not lock and pulling forward worked perfectly. I printed it out and will keep with my sheet for setting up the CRV for towing.

Tags
brake