Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ready Brake install on a 2006 Grand Cherokee

Did a search and couldn't find an answer on the forum. I am preparing to install a Ready Brake on a 2006 Grand Cherokee. The Blue Ox baseplate sits in the opening of the front bumper in front of the radiator. I'm trying to figure out where to place the Ready Brake cable. In order to clear the radiator, it looks like I will have to put it near the bottom of the bumper. Does anyone have this install on a 2006 Grand Cherokee that can tell me where it is installed? A photo would be great.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cable can be routed with fairly tight turns. You'll want the cable to come out close to level with your tow bar attachment points and also centered. On our toad I just ran the cable around the side of the radiator, across the front of it and then turned it so comes out the front at the correct level and centered.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
The cable can be routed with fairly tight turns. You'll want the cable to come out close to level with your tow bar attachment points and also centered. On our toad I just ran the cable around the side of the radiator, across the front of it and then turned it so comes out the front at the correct level and centered.
I knew it should be centered and concerned about how low it would be to clear the bottom of the radiator. Instructions indicate a six inch or larger bend radius. The electric connector is centered on the baseplate. Where did you place it?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our electrical connector is off center quite a bit and below the bumper, as we wanted to use an opening that was already there on the vehicle and not have to cut another. Our cable is routed as I described and then I just drilled a hole in a center frame section of the car, on a Captiva it's the frame that the power steering fluid cooler and hood latch release mounts to, inserted the cable housing, screwed on the end nut, and inserted the cable into the cable housing. I had to cut and remove 1 small section from our front grill and the cable comes out perfectly aligned for the tow bar. And without the tow bar attached it's hardly noticable. I use a Blue Ox base plate.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Did a search and couldn't find an answer on the forum. I am preparing to install a Ready Brake on a 2006 Grand Cherokee. The Blue Ox baseplate sits in the opening of the front bumper in front of the radiator. I'm trying to figure out where to place the Ready Brake cable. In order to clear the radiator, it looks like I will have to put it near the bottom of the bumper. Does anyone have this install on a 2006 Grand Cherokee that can tell me where it is installed? A photo would be great.

Berlin Kid,
Easyrider's given you good info. As you most likely know, the R/B cable and exit point on the front of your Grand, is more important to be centered than the electrical outlet. Now, I cannot help you with the specific attachment points of that cable housing on that Grand but, in our GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 that we use as a toad, I had to create a bracket that mounted an supported the cable housing end, directly in the center of the car, just below the bottom of the radiator.

Sometimes you have get creative in these kind of situations. Bend some metal, drill a hole here, attach something there, so the end result is what you need it to be. Fabrication may be the name of the game here to accomplish your needs. It's always nice to be able to utilize existing braces, brackets, cross pieces etc. to mount your cable but, in some cases, you have to "McGuyver" something to make it all work. In the photos below, this is what I did on ours. I also made it like Easyriders in that, neither the R/B cable or, the electrical plug, is visible unless you get down on your knees to see it.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Berlin Kid, Easyrider's given you good info. As you most likely know, the R/B cable and exit point on the front of your Grand, is more important to be centered than the electrical outlet. Now, I cannot help you with the specific attachment points of that cable housing on that Grand but, in our GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 that we use as a toad, I had to create a bracket that mounted an supported the cable housing end, directly in the center of the car, just below the bottom of the radiator. Sometimes you have get creative in these kind of situations. Bend some metal, drill a hole here, attach something there, so the end result is what you need it to be. Fabrication may be the name of the game here to accomplish your needs. It's always nice to be able to utilize existing braces, brackets, cross pieces etc. to mount your cable but, in some cases, you have to "McGuyver" something to make it all work. In the photos below, this is what I did on ours. I also made it like Easyriders in that, neither the R/B cable or, the electrical plug, is visible unless you get down on your knees to see it. Scott
Nice looking install. The Blue Ox baseplate has the mounting point for the electric plug dead center. I will try to fabricate a mount for the r/b to keep it up near the baseplate. The radiator extends quite a bit below and close behind the baseplate. I'm worried about the radius of the bend of the conduit.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded. Installation of the Blue Ox baseplate was a "Piece of cake". The ready brake cable wasn't as easy. The pad under the carpet was thick and had to be cored out where the cable came through the firewall. There was padding on the engine side that also had to be removed. The easy part was that the cable conduit was stiff enough that I was able to push it along on top of the frame from the front and was actually able to snake it into the hole in the firewall. The breakaway cable was a different story. The 4.7 L V8 takes up a lot of room. Had to loosen the fender liner so that I could get my arm up and working by feel was able to get it through the firewall. I ended up locating the ready brake cable at the bottom of the license plate frame. I was fortunate in that the place where the coach is stored had a lift that I was able to use. I can't imagine doing this without one.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear you got it done! Of course each install is a little different and offers unique challenges! I think you'll really like your ReadyBrute/Blue Ox combination. Let us know what you think after a couple uses!

Tags
brake, install