Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Ready Brake - surge brake arm hitting bumper.

I have a Ready Brake Elite installed for auxiliary braking. Problem is that the surge brake arm on the Ready Brake is hitting my bumper. See video. I spoke with the folks at Ready Brake and they told me to install a hitch receiver extension. After researching on etrailer.com, they told me the hitch extension will reduce my tow capacity by 50%!
So it looks like my only option is to cut a notch out of the bumper so the surge brake arm doesn't interfere with the bumper.
Am I on the right track here?

Thanks.
Attached Files
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #2

I sure hope this is incorrect. I bought an extension that is the double box style. That way we can haul bikes via rack in the top box and tow the Jeep through the bottom box.
It has a 10,000# capacity. I'm far from a genius, but why would this reduce towing capabilities by half?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I sure hope this is incorrect. I bought an extension that is the double box style. That way we can haul bikes via rack in the top box and tow the Jeep through the bottom box.
It has a 10,000# capacity. I'm far from a genius, but why would this reduce towing capabilities by half?
From etrailer.com:
Hitch Extender
Do you have problems clearing your bumper or spare tire when you tow? If you are hearing your hitch accessories hit your car, then you need a hitch extender. Hitch extenders come in various lengths that will extend your receiver tube opening to where you need it. When using an adapter your towing capacity and tongue weight will be reduced by 50%. For example, if you have 5,000 lbs towing and 500 lbs tongue weight, you will be reduced to 2,500 lbs towing and 250 lbs tongue weight. This is because the hitch extender moves the load out farther from your vehicle, applying more leverage to your hitch.
Hitch Adapters and Extenders | etrailer.com
Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello:

Maybe it's just me, but I would not want to cut a notch in the bumper. We have the Blue Ox Patriot brake. Could you trade in/exchange your Ready Brake for another type?

Eric, we also have a ACE 30.1, towing an Equinox. Our bike rack goes on the back of the car!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can't see the video you have referenced. Did you buy just the surge brake (Ready Brake) or the entire towbar with surge brake (Readybrute Elite)?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I can't see the video you have referenced. Did you buy just the surge brake (Ready Brake) or the entire towbar with surge brake (Readybrute Elite)?
We bought the readybrute elite. I spoke with nsa today and they have an extension which they certify to 8000lb tow limit. They make it out of the same material as the readybrute. I ordered one of these.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last toad the base plate was a good 4" below the coach hitch which may for a bit too much misalignment and resulting angle on the tow bar. Plus I wanted to carry bikes on a hitch mount rack. Used a Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver Adapter which realigned the tow bar and gave a place for the bike rack. Roadmaster did not list any capacity reducing cautions and the adapter is rated at 10K Lbs. which is twice my coach limit. The stem that fits in the coach hitch is steel bar stock while the two receivers are just as stout as the coach hitch. Plus it must weight about as much as my Ready Brake tow bar.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Nice angle on that thing. I believe I'll be acquiring the 4-inch drop version since my RV supposedly sits at 21" and my base plate is at 17". That looks like a nice solution.
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
Nice angle on that thing. I believe I'll be acquiring the 4-inch drop version since my RV supposedly sits at 21" and my base plate is at 17". That looks like a nice solution.
While dropping the tow height to correct the tow-bar tow angle, you've also decrease what's called the "angle of departure" by quite a bit. If you look at the picture closely, you'll see the "skid" bars at the rear of the coach. It appears that the extension/drop unit is equal to or, maybe a tad lower than those. And, not only that but, it's farther out back so, your angle of departure is reduced by quite a bit.

You'll just have be extra careful when entering and exiting fuel station drive ways, camp grounds with elevation changes in entry to campsites and things like that. If you acquire one of those, and set the whole thing up, it might be advisable to have an observer watch as you practice entering and exiting driveways and fuel stations for the first time. If no clearance issues arise, you're certainly good to go. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
My last toad the base plate was a good 4" below the coach hitch which may for a bit too much misalignment and resulting angle on the tow bar. Plus I wanted to carry bikes on a hitch mount rack. Used a Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver Adapter which realigned the tow bar and gave a place for the bike rack. Roadmaster did not list any capacity reducing cautions and the adapter is rated at 10K Lbs. which is twice my coach limit. The stem that fits in the coach hitch is steel bar stock while the two receivers are just as stout as the coach hitch. Plus it must weight about as much as my Ready Brake tow bar.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

This is exactly what I bought in order to do the same.
However, I am now concerned that my Thor's towing limit has been reduced from 5000# to 2500# from what I am reading above. Our Wrangler weighs around 4400#.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

I actually just read this on the Roadmaster website:

With this dual-purpose hitch receiver, you can add a bike carrier or other hitch accessory to the rear of your motorhome — not for use with any type of trailer.
• Fits most 2" hitch receivers
• Solid steel construction
• Computer-designed and -tested
• Powder-coated for maximum durability
• 10,000-pound capacity; 400-pound maximum tongue weight

I sent an email to Roadmaster. But it does sound in fact that it is not to be used to tow, but only for hitch mounted accessories. I also didn't know about reducing my hitch tongue weight by 50%. I believe my tongue weight is 500# which means it can now only carry 250#. This hitch receiver weighs almost 25#. So, now I am down to 225#. Hardly enough to carry bikes and a cargo box full of firewood. ugh

Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

I can't edit my above post, so this is what I received back:

Eric--

The 077-4 has a 10,000lb trailer weight capacity and a 400lb tongue weight capacity. You can certainly use it to tow a car--that's what it's intended for. Do not exceed the ratings listed above (dinghy towing a car with all four wheels on the ground has essentially 0 tongue weight), and you'll be just fine.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP
If no clearance issues arise, you're certainly good to go.
Interesting and something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I can't edit my above post, so this is what I received back:

Eric--

The 077-4 has a 10,000lb trailer weight capacity and a 400lb tongue weight capacity. You can certainly use it to tow a car--that's what it's intended for. Do not exceed the ratings listed above (dinghy towing a car with all four wheels on the ground has essentially 0 tongue weight), and you'll be just fine.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Nice, thanks for following up. They should clarify their language to reduce confusion.
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake